Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3G iPhone...What to do?

Default 3G iPhone...What to do?
    I have a 3G iPhone which hasn't been unlocked/jailbroken.

It currently has version 2.2.1 (5H11) with baseband 02.30.03.

I currently have an ATT account though its on their old network with an old ATT Wireless sim card, not the current 3G sim card.

I've been told, though haven't found anyone whose tried this, that if I redsn0w + ultrasn0w the iphone, I can use my current old sim card with my current plan. I'd also need to bring it up to version 3.0.

So is this possible or has anyone tried this?

Here is the link to my original post I placed in the ATT forum but I think it should have been placed here..http://www.modmyi.com/forums/t/61790...-sim-card.html

My iPod is a Part of Me bteamer's Avatar
    Thanks

If it's 7 years old, I'm skeptical that it would work even with an unlock. But you could always try it, and see if it works. If it doesn't ATT should give you another for free. I went in with my phone when it had service problems (stock firmware), and the first thing he did was reboot. Then second was popping out the sim, and trying a different. Is the old sim really different, or is it just missing the small 3g? If so, you could go in and say you aren't getting any service, (with the old sim in) and if you're salesperson isn't paying too close attention, he might just pull the old one out, put a 3g one in, and then see that it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    LOL! DOesnt everyone know that only real women know how to handle a stick?
    Quote Originally Posted by ALL DAY View Post
    As long as Miguel can blow...he's straight.
    I dread that first dusting of the white stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    ready for a romp buddy? ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Thanks bteamer...

I placed a link at the end of the post which will give an update to what I had done so far...

I went into a ATT corp store 3 weeks ago attempting what you had suggested and almost had a new 3G sim card but the system didn't allow it since I was on an old plan on their old network...Only way they would give me the new 3G sim card was if I signed up on a new plan which I don't want to do since my current plan is much better...

The iPhone I have doesn't have a sim card as I was allowed to keep it when the company went through layoffs and the number was canceled along with the unit being wiped...

I placed my active ATT sim card in it but the phone features don't work...

I was informed that if I redsn0w + ultrasn0w along with taking to 3.0, I should be able to use my current sim card but wanted to know if anyone has tried this or not before I attempted...

My iPod is a Part of Me bteamer's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh ok I see, they looked you up on their system. You're in a unique situation here, so i doubt that anyone else has tried this. You should give it a go and see what happens. The very worst that happens is that it doesn't work and messes up your phone, and then you restore, and you are back to your original problem. Nothing can really go wrong.
    LOL! DOesnt everyone know that only real women know how to handle a stick?
    Quote Originally Posted by ALL DAY View Post
    As long as Miguel can blow...he's straight.
    I dread that first dusting of the white stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    ready for a romp buddy? ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh