Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Slow responding home button

Default Slow responding home button
    I can't seem to figure out why my JB iPhone 3G-3.0 is having this problem!!! I've been all over the threads here and I've tried a lot of different things, but I still am having the same problem. When I push the home button to exit apps it sometimes takes 15 seconds to get back to springboard.

I started with using Pwnage 3.0 - had this problem
    restored and used redsn0w - same problem
    restored and used Pwnage again (some threads said to just try again) - same problem

I find it hard to believe it's a memory issue b/c SBSettings typically says I have 35mb to 41mb available memory.

I've checked the Mobile Substrate list (as other threads suggested) and I deleted a number of different things to get the list down to this:
    SBSettings
    qTweeter
    Five icon dock
    five column SB
    preferenceLoader
    reflective dock
    webViewController
    Winterboard
    + a couple themes

This seems like a short list to me, to be causing a memory issue.

When I used pwnage to JB previous firmware 2.2 I had a TON more stuff on my phone and it never acted like this.

Are there any suggestions for me? Anything else that might be causing this annoying little quirk? Any help is appreciated.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm having the same problem and I have half of what you have on my iPhone.

my 3g doesnt take that long but it does take about 5 - 10 seconds... anyone have any idea what it is?

iPhone? ... No?... MYphone!!!

"The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on"

All 3g's on 3.0?? First 35-41mb is not a lot. I have over 151mb free on my 3g[s] with flawless response times. I have experienced this issue on my 3g's however before after installing 3.0. 3.0 is buggy by itself already, but adding on winterboard themes and other cydia apps doesnt help it much. What I did to free up as much memory as possible was to manually SSH the parts of the different themes I was using to the appropriate folders on the phone, hence eliminating the need for winterboard. Some aspects of the theme you may not be able to locate the folders for, but there are not many and you can make a new theme to use with winterboard using those few features. I believe tho by looking at your list of installed applications that the only thing that is causing this memory leak is winterboard. Also, for some reason I found if you can do a hard reset periodically when the phone starts acting up to get it back to a somewhat normal state. But I think after 3.1 is released some of these problems will go aways, or maybe not, but for now try to limit the themes you are using on winterboard because I know how annoying this problem can be.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

I'm having the same problem as of 7pm last night. jailbroken/unlocked 3g 3.0

i really dont think its got to do with a theme... i mean im not even using a single theme, i have about 45 -48 mb free but i still have a that problem...

iPhone? ... No?... MYphone!!!

"The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on"

Its just simply 3.0 and the fact thats its jailbroken. You can try power cycling the phone and possibly a restore and setting up as a new phone
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

karlreed2 (2009-07-16)

Thanks Melech518 as far as I'm concerned it was definitely Winterboard. I deleted it with tears in my eyes and was definitely sad to see it go but I have much more responsiveness when closing apps and such. I sure hope that 3.1 fixes some of these issues b/c I already want Winterboard back. lol

My iPod is a Part of Me bteamer's Avatar
    Thanks

You can try using BossTool to transfer everything, and see if that makes a difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    LOL! DOesnt everyone know that only real women know how to handle a stick?
    Quote Originally Posted by ALL DAY View Post
    As long as Miguel can blow...he's straight.
    I dread that first dusting of the white stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    ready for a romp buddy? ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by bteamer View Post
    You can try using BossTool to transfer everything, and see if that makes a difference.
    How does BossTool work and what does it "transfer?"

My iPod is a Part of Me bteamer's Avatar
    Thanks

You have two partitions on your phone. The / and the /var. The / has only 300mb of space on it, and is where OS contents and dependencies are stored. The larger, /var is where media (music, photos, crap) is stored. You can use bosstool to move large space takers over to the /var, like applications, ringtones and wallpapers.

EDIT: Well crap. It's not ported to 3.0. D:
    LOL! DOesnt everyone know that only real women know how to handle a stick?
    Quote Originally Posted by ALL DAY View Post
    As long as Miguel can blow...he's straight.
    I dread that first dusting of the white stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    ready for a romp buddy? ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I think this is because you installed too many applications in your iphone and the system became very slow. Try reinstalling your OS.
    mod/edit links removed

Quote Originally Posted by bteamer View Post
    You have two partitions on your phone. The / and the /var. The / has only 300mb of space on it, and is where OS contents and dependencies are stored. The larger, /var is where media (music, photos, crap) is stored. You can use bosstool to move large space takers over to the /var, like applications, ringtones and wallpapers.

EDIT: Well crap. It's not ported to 3.0. D:
    Thanks bteamer. It sounds like this would definitely help free up some memory for me but like you said bosstool isn't ported for 3.0 yet. I'll probably just have to wait until it's ported or hope that 3.1 can fix some of these issues.

I've been reading that you can do the same thing that BossTool does manually through SSH but I haven't found any clear instruction on that. Does anybody have any help?

something like: you can move your fonts and apps to the media partition???

How? (i'm using a macbook) Any help?
    Last edited by karlreed2; 2009-07-17 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost