Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can a "Genius" in an Apple Store tell whether or not you have jailbroken your phone ?

Default Can a "Genius" in an Apple Store tell whether or not you have jailbroken your phone ?
    Afternoon all.

I'm a long time lurker and figured I needed the assistance of some of the many. Have done a search with varied answers , and what with os 3.0 now being out I was wondring if the above could be answered

Here's the scenario

I've got myself a nice new shiny 32g 3GS. I've already had to take one back due to poor batery life, and this one seems a bit flakey as well, but [email protected] not sure if this is to do with the os etc.

So I have decided to stick with it, cycle the battery a few times etc and hope it improves.

I also want to jailbreak.

So I go ahead and decide to jb my phone, all goes well, anyway two weeks down the line, battery life doesnt improve etc, so I decide to restore the original iphone firmare via a dfu restore and take it back into apple and hope they replace it.

The last time I was in there they hooked my iphone up to a mac and the chap in there appeared to be running some sort of diagnostic tests. I asked "Did that tell you anything" To which he replied "Oh yeah we can see you've had dropped calls and that your battery life is poor so we'll replace the phone"

Here's the question.

Is there anything on the mac they can look at, and see if you've jb your phone in the past ????

Anyway at all ?

if you did a firmware restore then no.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to oahz For This Useful Post:

gsusx (2009-07-09)

Hey thanks or the quick reply ....

so the diag tool they use, in store, thats purely fo looking at dropped calls etc, jb doesn't leave any "evidence behind" ?

If you did a firmware restore then no.

Although I would love to take a blatantly jailbroken phone one day with some crazy winterboard theme and go to a Genuis Bar and ask them how to get my iBSS certificate and why my voipover3g isn't working.

hahaha that'd be quality....

"Hi there my phones a bit knackered, I can't seem to run any of these apps I've got on cydia"

Genius "Wow, your phones amazing, where did you get them cool wallpapers, also whats this installer stuff, I've never seen that app"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

There are other threads about this. They can tell even if you restore. But as stated by others they don't really look for it. There is a forum user here that has the software that they use to check.

Here is a link to a recent thread about is, http://www.modmyi.com/forums/general...phone-3gs.html

Quote Originally Posted by oahz View Post
    If you did a firmware restore then no.

Although I would love to take a blatantly jailbroken phone one day with some crazy winterboard theme and go to a Genuis Bar and ask them how to get my iBSS certificate and why my voipover3g isn't working.

I took my JB 3g in for dust under the screen. The guy was giving me the run around because I had a JB iPhone.... I simply but firmly informed him that the fact I changed the software on the phone had nothing to do with the fact there was a hardware issue letting dust get under the screen. I ended up walking out of the store with a replacement 3g.

I brought my iPoT 1G (week 6) in to a Apple Store because ZiPhone messed it up during the JB process, and they gave me a new iPoT no questions asked.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default .
    rogers(canada) gave me some flack when i went in with my jailbroken 3GS, i needed a new sim card and after a few minuets of arguing with the guy i finally got it, they told me i voided my warranty with them and apple, came home read the terms of contract and apples warranty, no ware does it say modifying the software on the phone voids the warranty. even if it does, restoring the phone at lest for now brings it back to factory so how could they no....

Green Apple
    Thanks

and the call themselves Geniuses.....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lodgechad View Post
    rogers(canada) gave me some flack when i went in with my jailbroken 3GS, i needed a new sim card and after a few minuets of arguing with the guy i finally got it, they told me i voided my warranty with them and apple, came home read the terms of contract and apples warranty, no ware does it say modifying the software on the phone voids the warranty. even if it does, restoring the phone at lest for now brings it back to factory so how could they no....

Restoring the firmware will not get rid of a few pieces of code left in other parts that the jb uses. This is how they find it, but so far Apple has not been looking that deep at them.