Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How do I back up an iPhone that has never been synced?

Default How do I back up an iPhone that has never been synced?
    here's the situation. my iphone is synced and all with my Macbook. I want to jailbreak my friend's 3G, but she NEVER used iTunes to backup her information (she doesnt have a computer)

i dont want to take the chance of losing all her info, so i wont jailbreak unless i can back it up. i figured by opening a "guest" profile on my computer, that would stop from my info on itunes syncing to her phone (since it opens up a fresh itunes with no data in it). correct me if im wrong on this one

but how would i back up all the info from the iphone to itunes? will the music be backed up too? most important would be pictures and contacts, but i think she wouldnt want to risk her music getting lost

or am i worrying for nothing and that loading the jailbroken .ipsw wont delete all the info on the iphone????? thanks for your help!

Thanks

Connect iPhone to the computer , right click on the icon and press backup... It will backup most but not all like the music might go back but i know that sometimes the apps don't come back

You can make the backup from your computer and iTunes. It shouldn't automatically sync but if for some reason it tries to just swipe on the iPhone and cancel.

1. Connect her iPhone to your computer
    2. Right Click her iPhone under Devices and choose Backup
    3. You can doublecheck to make sure her phone was backed up by going to
    Preferences -> Devices and looking at the list of past backups. It should show backups for different phones separately, for example Mike's iPhone 3:37PM, Sally's iPhone 2:20PM.
    3. Restore her iPhone to a 3.0 Firmware which will wipe the phone clean.
    4. Jailbreak using purplera1n/redsn0w
    5. Connect to iTunes and choose to restore phone from backup (not set up as new phone)

Normally you would sync with iTunes to get back her apps and music. In this case you should just make a list of the app store apps she has so you can download it later.

(The backup will save her contacts, texts, notes, photos, pretty much everything on her iPhone. However,it will not put music inside the backup file. Usually I believe it saves an index of what music and videos were on it so that you can sync later with iTunes. If she bought her music off iTunes she can always get it back. If her music came from "other sources" you should probably look up a program that can extract music from the iPhone. I don't know if one exists.)

If you ever need to transfer your backup files to another computer...

I'm not sure where it's saved on OSX but

On Vista, backups are saved to CUsers\XXXXX\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

On XP I believe it's CDocuments and Settings\XXX\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

Inside you'll see backup folders named like 324324e4343242343223242 etc. Move these entire folders to another computer using the same folder structure and you can restore these backup files using a different iTunes.

Thanks

Here's what u can do also, either use sharepod to extract music and video. Or use disk aide to copy var/mobile/media/iTunes_control folder and when u restore just copy it back, I have done that acouple of times

5. The Following User Says Thank You to z3r01 For This Useful Post:

cassz (2009-07-09)