Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Now that my 3GS is jb, how do I tether?

Default Now that my 3GS is jb, how do I tether?
    i jbed with purplera1n. everything works fine.

i looked at this half assed tethering method:
    Gizmodo - Enable Tethering On Your iPhone 3G and 3GS With Only Safari (MMS, VV Fix) - Iphone tethering

and now that my iphone is jbed, i don't need to use this. kinda sketchy.

what's the best way to tether my phone? safest and most reliable

Thanks

Well , u couldve tethered withou jailbreaking, just go to

Http://help.benm.at

On your iPhone mobile safari and then install the profile....then tethering would be available under network...I been tethering on my 3Gs since it first came out

This works as well

http://unlockit.co.nz

I like this site because if for some reason you have an iPhone with no data plan, you can install a fake APN Profile and complete disable data except when on Wifi to avoid charges.

Same instructions as the other website. Simply browse to the site and choose your country and carrier, and install the profile. Reboot your iPhone for it to take effect. You can always uninstall it by going into iPhone Settings -> General -> Profiles.
    Last edited by oahz; 2009-07-08 at 05:36 PM.

i have At&T with a data plan.

aren't these 2 links the same as the one i posted?

Yea it is. I don't think either of us actually bothered visiting your link first I assumed it was one of those guides that showed u how to manually install the profile.

Although unlockit.co.nz has the extra feature of Fake APN profiles--not that you need it though.

so besides the custom network profile, there's no other way to enable tethering? i don't really want AT&T to get pissed and start charging me for it

Thanks

Tethering is tethering. No matter which way you get it to work, AT&T will see that you are using more data.

And they won't do **** about it unless you really abuse it. I mean most people that use tethering will use it very rarely anyway. They have no way of knowing that you visited a website using your iphone or your computer. Unless you're suddenly using ungodly amounts of data, you won't even show up on their radar.

hmm ok i'm trying it now.

my bluetooth driver on my laptop is crapping itself again, i'll have to reinstall it.

i'm trying the tethering via usb. i got a prompt to install a driver for the iphone. after the driver was intalled nothing happens. am i supposed to pick a network to connect to? never really done tethering before

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

You have to go into settings... general... network.. .turn tethering ON first. Then plug your computer in and it should be detected as a new network adapter. Turn off your WIFI so it doesn't get confused. That's what I did on my Mac.

IT WORKS!! sweet!!!

at least, it works over usb. i need to fix my bluetooth driver.

speed's fairly decent

Quote Originally Posted by oahz View Post
    They have no way of knowing that you visited a website using your iphone or your computer. Unless you're suddenly using ungodly amounts of data, you won't even show up on their radar.
    Bzzzt, wrong! ATT could quite easily tell if you are tethering or not with your iphone. How? The browser user agent string. It's sent to every web site you visit, so it knows how to render the page. ATT could monitor your traffic for all non-iPhone browser user agent strings and instantly know you are tethering.

Very simple to do. Now I have no reason to believe ATT is doing this, as I've tethered with my old BJII and never billed accordingly.

I just tried that and it didn't seem to work. I was reading this only works on 3.0. Is that true or should I try it again? I have 3.1 currently.