View Poll Results: Purplera1n or Redsn0w

Voters
205. You may not vote on this poll
  • Purplera1n

131 63.90%
  • Redsn0w

74 36.10%
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3g[s] Jailbreak/Unlock Redsn0w vs. Purplera1n

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

I would stick with purplera1n RC2.

Thanks

So how are everyones 3G S's running speed wise after the jailbreak with winter board and everything? Im talking App launching, web page loading and all? I know one of my favorite things about my 3G S is the fact that web pages now load almost as fast as they do on a full on PC! I remember my 3G being kind of sluggish even on wifi.
    160GB iPod Classic
    8GB 2G - Firmware 2.2.1 PWN'D
    8GB 3G - Firmware 3.0 PWN'D
    16GB 3G S - Firmware 3.0 Ra1n'n Purple
    64GB iPad 3G - Spirit'd
    32GB iPhone 4

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I had to use the second version of Purplera1n and use my sons windows computer (Vista 64 bit) to jailbreak my 3Gs, but Wifi kept dropping out. I started over and instead of restoring from my backup, I set up as a new phone then went through the jailbreak process with Purplera1n again and Wifi has been fine. When the newer version of Redsn0w came out I decided to try that to see how it would go and the fact I could do it on my Mac. Same thing happened, Wifi drop out. I restarted again like I did with Purplera1n and set it up as a new phone and not restored from my backup, but the Wifi was still dropping out. Have gone back to the Purplera1n jailbreak for the Wifi. I found either way quite easy, but Purplera1n was faster. I did have a problem with Winterboard some how transferring my unlock sound to the keyboard clicks which was extremely annoying. The only way I got rid of it was to restore again. Trouble is I've restored and started over again that many times I'm not sure which jailbreak was used when this happened.

SOLUTION: Redsn0w is causing you these problems. Use Purplera1n RC2 and you will be fine.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Did anyone put thier ecid # in that box before dl which version (windows/mac) of purplera1n?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fryfone View Post
    Did anyone put thier ecid # in that box before dl which version (windows/mac) of purplera1n?
    No you put that number in to get your "Purple Rainy Day" file. It has nothing to do with downloading any version of Purplera1n.
    160GB iPod Classic
    64GB iPad 3G - Spirit'd
    32GB iPhone 4

Default Purplera1n problems
    iPhone 3GS 3.0 with Mac OSX 10.5.7 - iTunes 8.2

Install went well - Freeze worked - got Cydia

Installed some sources - installed the package "All Sources" by SteffWiz, which is just a bunch of trusted sources.

Installed SBSettings, installed Cydelete

Once I installed Intelliscreen, things went way wrong - I installed the [email protected] Intelliscreen from Xsellize - after reboot, Springboard came back up and it was fluttering and flickering and dancing all over the place - the weirdest thing. I hit the sleep button, then hit it again, slide to unlock and it was back to normal.

Uninstalled Freeze and uninstalled Intelliscreen

THEN - I couldn't get the "phone" application to work after that - you know, the green "Phone" icon we use to launch dialpad, voicemail, recent calls, favorite contacts, really important stuff? When I would press the green phone button it would act like it wanted to launch, but would then just crash and go right back to Springboard.

Tried re-spring, soft reset, reboot, power down, nothing worked.

Re-installed official 3.0 - but I had to go DFU to get it to take.

So, maybe I will try Redsn0w...

EDIT: Maybe part of the problem is that I tried to install the [email protected] Intelliscreen without having the mobileinstallationpatch installed - does anyone know if the MI patch 3.0 works for 3GS? I haven't heard anything about it anywhere...maybe because it's [email protected]..?

Purplera1n has been working fine for everyone. Your problem in you are installing cracked apps!!

@Melech

I'm sure you're right - I'm going to try again this time and no cracked apps.

Thanks

This might be my paranoia but i feel like my battery isnt lasting as long after JBing with Purplerain. Anyone else seem to have this problem, or is it all in my head?
    If the sun was made of baby back rips..... would you eat it?

Thanks

Well your probably also using the phone alot more since the jailbreak and maybe not realizing it? I don't know but I haven't noticed a change in my battery life.
    160GB iPod Classic
    64GB iPad 3G - Spirit'd
    32GB iPhone 4

How about iMario's Supreme Preferences - anyone tried this on a Purplera1n'd 3.0 3Gs?

BTW - re-jailbroke with Purplera1n and so far everything is smooth. I've only installed packages in Cydia that have been confirmed stable.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

I am running Supreme Prefs on a purplera1n RC2 3GS, it works great

14. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

pentatonic145 (2009-07-09)

No battery Issues at all...agree with A_dub, you are probably using your phone a LOT more

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings

Great to know about Supreme Prefs - that is a top reason to JB IMO

I have tried a few WB themes and I haven't found one yet that has a custom icon for "Voice Memo" or "Compass"

The other weird thing is, all the themes I apply keep the stock icon for "Messages" - which is such an essential app (typically resides in the dock) that you would think for sure EVERY WB theme would have a custom icon for it...must be a 3.0 thing or a 3GS thing...

I would value any recommendations someone could make for a really cool WB theme that is optimized for 3GS/3.0 - preferably not something that requires a lot of brain damage (blanks, springjumps, categories, etc.) like the MacCiti KRS stuff...

Thanks!

Default Purplera1n RC2 error installing Supreme Pref
    Purplera1n RC2 error installing Supreme Prefs

"Note: The requested modifications cannot be applied due to dependencies or conflicts that cannot be automatically found or fixed"

"Install: Supreme Preferences - WebViewController"

This is the message I get when I try to install Supreme Prefs

Screenie attached to this post

Any ideas...?

Thanks,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -photo.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by pentatonic145 View Post

I have tried a few WB themes and I haven't found one yet that has a custom icon for "Voice Memo" or "Compass"

The other weird thing is, all the themes I apply keep the stock icon for "Messages" - which is such an essential app (typically resides in the dock) that you would think for sure EVERY WB theme would have a custom icon for it...must be a 3.0 thing or a 3GS thing...

I would value any recommendations someone could make for a really cool WB theme that is optimized for 3GS/3.0 - preferably not something that requires a lot of brain damage (blanks, springjumps, categories, etc.) like the MacCiti KRS stuff...

Thanks!
    LOL, Have you even looked at my signature?? Click on Apple Forums & iPhone Forums, Mods, Hacks, News, Themes, Downloads, and more! | ModMyi.com - Downloads - Macbook 3.0

Thanks!
    Messages doesn't work because your theme has the icon named MobileSMS.png you need to ssh into your phone and change it to Messages.png

As for some winterboard recommendations, you can check this thread
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/general...d-awesome.html

20. The Following User Says Thank You to oahz For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by oahz View Post
    Messages doesn't work because your theme has the icon named MobileSMS.png you need to ssh into your phone and change it to Messages.png

As for some winterboard recommendations, you can check this thread
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/general...d-awesome.html
    EDIT: It is currently labeled Text.png, NOT MobileSMS.png. MobileSMS is a Folder not an icon. Change Text.png to Messages.png

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

Once I installed Intelliscreen, things went way wrong - I installed the [email protected] Intelliscreen from Xsellize - after reboot, Springboard came back up and it was fluttering and flickering and dancing all over the place - the weirdest thing. I hit the sleep button, then hit it again, slide to unlock and it was back to normal.

Uninstalled Freeze and uninstalled Intelliscreen

THEN - I couldn't get the "phone" application to work after that - you know, the green "Phone" icon we use to launch dialpad, voicemail, recent calls, favorite contacts, really important stuff? When I would press the green phone button it would act like it wanted to launch, but would then just crash and go right back to Springboard.
    The version of intelliscreen that is on xsellize is NOT compatible with 3.0, so unfortunitely you will need to purchase the updated app (v2.93)if you wish to continue use intelliscreen...i had to do the same thing since the old one did not work...what happened to you happened exactly to me, i had to restore and re-jb my phone to fix the calling issues as well...i haven't had any problems since then...IMO i think intelliscreen is worth the 10 bucks since i use it alot...hope this helps

24. The Following User Says Thank You to lunercrab For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast