Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 2g iPhone restore process getting stuck

Angry 2g iPhone restore process getting stuck
    So I just got a 2g iPhone from a friend and it had 1.1.4 on it and some ugly theme, so obviously the first thing I attempted was to put it in DFU mode and restore it to 3.0.

I plugged it into iTunes and started the restore process. It went through the typical, "restoring iphone firmware" to "verifying iphone firmware" and back to "restoring iphone firmware." Upon reaching 100% on the progress bar (on the phone) nothing happened. It was just sitting at 100% for about an hour. I unplugged it, got error 6 and tried again. Here I am, 3 days later having tried several usb cords, two different machines, the works. I can't get this thing to complete for the life of me.

Anyone know whats going on? I've tried several different ipsws, different firmware versions, etc. I can post iTunes logs if that helps.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

You're not supposed to put it in DFU mode before restoring usually... unless you really have to (in the case of you messing up your phone and it freezes or doesn't turn on).

Download the ipsw from here and use that. That's what I used to restore my phone with. I don't know about 2G though cuz I have 3G...make sure you download the right version.

Could you post the screen you see after the 100% loads and the error you get?

After I attempt to restore it does nothing but say "Restoring iPhone firmware" on iTunes and the iPhone just displays the progress bar at 100%.

I've restored tons of phones before but this one is totally acting up. I got it to turn on randomly by using iRecovery but when it was on it wouldn't display a IMEI and Wifi was greyed out. I've read that this means there is no baseband installed on the phone which might explain why it won't restore.

How can I reflash the baseband?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Maybe jailbreaking it first will re-enstate the baseband. And then maybe you can restore it to 3.0 after JB? Or try restoring to maybe 2.2.1 to see if it reacts the same way.