Results 1 to 19 of 19

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Getting started on my iPod touch 2G?

  1. #1
    Default Getting started on my iPod touch 2G?
    I currently have an iPod touch 2nd G 8GB. For the past few days, I have been researching how to jailbreak this touch but I have been getting different ways to jailbreak and have been confused because my firmware is 2.2.1 (5h11a). The 5h11a just threw me off because no guides have mentioned about this.

    So im asking for help. Is there a specific way to jailbreak this ipod? I heard that you may need to upgrade to 3.0 and you could a few benefits from that because I heard not all apps will work. So which ways could I jailbreak it that I can get the most benefit out of? Oh, im using Windows btw

    thanks.

  2. #2
    you should upgrade to 3.0 and use redsn0w...or find the old redsn0w and jailbreak with that..the best bet is to upgrade to 3.0

  3. #3
    Retired Moderator Poseidon79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,264
    Thanks
    819
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

    Just look in our download section for the 2 different versions of redsn0w.

  4. #4
    bebeboricua, he probably doesn't want to upgrade since you have to pay for an iPod Touch firmware upgrade.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by bebeboricua View Post
    you should upgrade to 3.0 and use redsn0w...or find the old redsn0w and jailbreak with that..the best bet is to upgrade to 3.0
    Regardless of the "5h11a"? and will I still get full benefits of upgrading to 3.0 then JBing it?
    and which version of redsn0w is better?

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoNightmareX View Post
    bebeboricua, he probably doesn't want to upgrade since you have to pay for an iPod Touch firmware upgrade.
    I could always find a free one....right?
    Last edited by David12795; 2009-07-06 at 01:03 AM.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by David12795 View Post
    I could always find a free one....right?
    You mean when Apple eventually releases it for free like they did with 2.0? Yeah.
    If I helped you, then hit the "Thanks!" button please.

    Quote Originally Posted by Soodeh View Post
    I can't find Cydia on app store

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoNightmareX View Post
    You mean when Apple eventually releases it for free like they did with 2.0? Yeah.
    I mean, I've found some places (not sure if they're allowed to be mentioned here) but is it a good idea to do that instead of paying 10 bucks? Or is there any other possible ways to jailbreak a 2.2.1 5h11a 2G touch?

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by David12795 View Post
    not sure if they're allowed to be mentioned here
    They are not allowed.
    If I helped you, then hit the "Thanks!" button please.

    Quote Originally Posted by Soodeh View Post
    I can't find Cydia on app store

  9. #9
    Ok so far I updated it to 3.0 now im trying to figure out whether to get redsn0w ver. 0.7 or 3.0???

  10. #10
    0.7 version. The 3.0 version was for OS 2.2.1. This is a different type of redsn0w that works on all the devices on 3.0 except the 3GS.
    If I helped you, then hit the "Thanks!" button please.

    Quote Originally Posted by Soodeh View Post
    I can't find Cydia on app store

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoNightmareX View Post
    0.7 version. The 3.0 version was for OS 2.2.1. This is a different type of redsn0w that works on all the devices on 3.0 except the 3GS.
    Ok thanks

    I just downloaded 0.7.2. I couldn't find the exact 0.7 ver. but it doesn't make much of a difference right? Grr, now it's asking me for an IPSW file. I suppose that is illegal too because it contains part of 3.0 firmware?

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by David12795 View Post
    Ok thanks

    I just downloaded 0.7.2. I couldn't find the exact 0.7 ver. but it doesn't make much of a difference right? Grr, now it's asking me for an IPSW file. I suppose that is illegal too because it contains part of 3.0 firmware?
    That just means your version is more up-to-date and more stable. If you updated to 3.0 then that means that the firmware should be on your computer.
    If I helped you, then hit the "Thanks!" button please.

    Quote Originally Posted by Soodeh View Post
    I can't find Cydia on app store

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoNightmareX View Post
    That just means your version is more up-to-date and more stable. If you updated to 3.0 then that means that the firmware should be on your computer.
    Oh so then do I go ahead and use that as my ISPW?

  14. #14
    Yep yep.
    If I helped you, then hit the "Thanks!" button please.

    Quote Originally Posted by Soodeh View Post
    I can't find Cydia on app store

  15. #15
    Ok so I've got Cydia and Icy on my touch now. I guess for sure it's JBed now?

  16. #16
    Yep Cydia means that it is jailbroken. Congrats!
    If I helped you, then hit the "Thanks!" button please.

    Quote Originally Posted by Soodeh View Post
    I can't find Cydia on app store

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to NeoNightmareX For This Useful Post:

    David12795 (2009-07-06)

  18. #17

  19. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoNightmareX View Post
    bebeboricua, he probably doesn't want to upgrade since you have to pay for an iPod Touch firmware upgrade.
    you are right but it can be easy find by torrent

  20. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by bebeboricua View Post
    you are right but it can be easy find by torrent
    Psst (we don't talk about that here, just for your info).
    If I helped you, then hit the "Thanks!" button please.

    Quote Originally Posted by Soodeh View Post
    I can't find Cydia on app store

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •