Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unique Problem with iPhone 1st Gen!

Default Unique Problem with iPhone 1st Gen!
    Alright, heres the deal. My iPhone is completely and utterly gubbed.

It was upgraded to 3.0 by my brother via Redsn0w, but this locked my phone up to the Emergency Mode. I tried to fix this by re-jailbreaking using Redsn0w and my iphone froze while "downloading jailbreak data". Then the iPhone turned off.

When it turns on, it goes to the Recovery Mode. From here i can't do anything, not even turn it off.

If I attempt to restore via iTunes, it error's and leaves my iPhone in the Apple Logo state.

From this screen, the iPhone is completely useless. I can't turn it off or put it into DFU or put it into Recovery.

I can only get it into Recovery Mode by letting the battery die out and then recharge it.

Anyone have any ideas? ANyTHING to get it to function, even if it is emergency mode again.

Thanks! =)

Livin the iPhone Life SharpieBandit's Avatar
    Thanks

Have you tried holding power+home to get it to restart? I've been able to get out of Recovery mode this way. I'm not sure if it is 3GS only or not.
    Steam ID: gentrytj
    Origin ID: gentrytj
    Gamertag: TJ McHoonigan
    PSN ID: TheWyzeMan
    Twitch.TV: TJ_McHoonigan

Hey Thanks for replying,

Yeah I've tried to reset it using that method but also does not respond.

Thanks though!

I've never heard nicknames for Jersey. I always heard it was dirty and smelled somewhat...
    Thanks
    Xhao,
    How long did you hold down the power + home for??
    Sometime you have to hold it down for up to 20 secs for the mode to kick in...

I've tried holding the buttons down for minutes, i just dont get any sort of response

And since i bought it from ebay (brand new) i dont think i'll be able to take it to an apple store.

I've never heard nicknames for Jersey. I always heard it was dirty and smelled somewhat...
    Thanks
    Using a 1st gen?? What exactly happens when you try to reset, have you tried in this order: hold the power for 3 secs, hold the home with the power for another 10 secs, release the power and continue to hold the home for 20 secs.
    Worst case you may just have to go to apple... They have never asked for a reciept.. So I don't see why they would turn you away.. No way for them to know it's from eBay..

My iPhone is in recovery mode, so when i attempt to reset it, nothing happens. It stays in recovery mode.

It won't turn off, its ignores any combination of button presses.

If I attempt to restore it via itunes, it errors. But it changes from the recovery mode screen to the Apple Logo Screen.

But from here it is exactly the same, CANNOT turn off and no matter how long I hold any of the buttons, there is no response.

I will attempt to take it to my nearest apple store and see if i can get any help from there.

P.S. - It is a 1st Gen iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Xhao View Post
    My iPhone is in recovery mode, so when i attempt to reset it, nothing happens. It stays in recovery mode.

It won't turn off, its ignores any combination of button presses.

If I attempt to restore it via itunes, it errors. But it changes from the recovery mode screen to the Apple Logo Screen.

But from here it is exactly the same, CANNOT turn off and no matter how long I hold any of the buttons, there is no response.

I will attempt to take it to my nearest apple store and see if i can get any help from there.

P.S. - It is a 1st Gen iPhone
    Look up "iRecovery" on google. It should help you boot out of DFU/Recovery mode. Once connected, type "fsboot" (without quotes) and it will most likely boot. Let me know what happens!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to wdelisi For This Useful Post:

Xhao (2009-07-20)

Have you tried to restore to the previous firmware? i.e. pre 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by wdelisi View Post
    Look up "iRecovery" on google. It should help you boot out of DFU/Recovery mode. Once connected, type "fsboot" (without quotes) and it will most likely boot. Let me know what happens!
    I've got iRecovery but i think i've to use it via the cmd promt and I dont have a clue with cmd. I can't seem to find a GUI version.

I think this might help though.

Quote Originally Posted by devilleather View Post
    Have you tried to restore to the previous firmware? i.e. pre 3.0
    Yeah, it error's also.
    Last edited by Xhao; 2009-07-20 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

try a restore on a different computer if you have access to one.

Alighty.... I used iRecovery and right enough it got me out of Recovery mode!!

THANK YOU SOO MUCH!!

BUT, now I am stuck in emergency mode and I'm scared to do anything to the phone now,lol.

Whats the best way to make the iphone usable now?

[By emergency mode I mean it only lets me make Emergency calls]

[EDIT]:

Right if I try to reboot the iPhone it forces the iphone into recovery mode again...
    Last edited by Xhao; 2009-07-20 at 03:24 AM. Reason: Problem...

you didn't mention what you had for a SIM in the phone. With Redsn0w, I believe you're supposed to have the SIM you plan on using in the phone during the jailbreak process. Also, did he download and use the 2 bootloader bin files for the jailbreak. Plus you should have the phone "restored" to the 3.0 IPSW before you jailbreak and then use the same firmware for the jailbreak.
    This is the method I used and haven't had a single problem.

Iphone 3G, Mac Book, Ipad Mini, Vista, Windows 7