Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need information about jailbreaking

Default Need information about jailbreaking
    So I've been thinking about jailbreaking my iPhone for a very long time now, and I think I've got enough guts to finally do it. I just want a little background/information before I do finally go through with it. A lot of these questions may sound noobish or whatever you wanna call it, but some help would be greatly appreciated.

My first question is, what are some pros/cons with jailbreaking my phone?

2. Say I don't like my phone being jailbroken, can I go back to my 3.0 OS?

3. I've looked around the site and I'm confused about the differences of yell0wsnow and redsnow and all of that, what would I need to start jailbreaking? Some links would be awesome!

I probably have more questions that I can't think of at the moment but I'll just use them as follow ups after responses.

Thanks!

Edit: I'm using Windows Vista if that matters
    Last edited by i heberlein i; 2009-07-04 at 07:21 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,544 Times in 7,599 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by i heberlein i View Post
    So I've been thinking about jailbreaking my iPhone for a very long time now, and I think I've got enough guts to finally do it. I just want a little background/information before I do finally go through with it. A lot of these questions may sound noobish or whatever you wanna call it, but some help would be greatly appreciated.

My first question is, what are some pros/cons with jailbreaking my phone?

2. Say I don't like my phone being jailbroken, can I go back to my 3.0 OS?

3. I've looked around the site and I'm confused about the differences of yell0wsnow and redsnow and all of that, what would I need to start jailbreaking? Some links would be awesome!

I probably have more questions that I can't think of at the moment but I'll just use them as follow ups after responses.

Thanks!
    J/B will give you the ability to mod your phone, and add 3rd party apps.
    You can always restore in iTunes.
    Redsnow is used for jailbreaking, yellow snow was used for unlocking to other carriers other than AT&T, used for older OS 2.2.1, now if unlock is desired use uktrasn0w.

Alright so where would I get started on all this stuff, I know there are programs like PwnageTool but what would you recommend

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i heberlein i View Post
    Alright so where would I get started on all this stuff, I know there are programs like PwnageTool but what would you recommend
    There are several threads on this. Here is a link that will guide you through the process. It is a tree menu, follow along click on what applies to you. All info, instructions, links and pics are there.
    Read carefully and follow exactly, no worries if you have a problem, always can be restored in iTunes and you can begin again.

Okay thanks, and couple last questions, will this in any way effect my data plan/sms plans? Like will I still be able to browse the internet and receive calls/texts

Thanks

It will still have everything you had before, no worries.

Just got done jailbreaking it, thanks so much This community is very helpful

Edit: It's just having programs finding service :-/