Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Working downgrade for Iphone 3G from 3.1 to 3.0

Exclamation Working downgrade for Iphone 3G from 3.1 to 3.0
    I just downgraded my iphone 3G from 3.1 to 3.0 and thought you guys would find it useful but it was translated by google so read carefully. THIS WILL NOT DOWNGRADE THE BASEBAND this is to go back to 3.0 and jailbreak if you desire.

This was done to my iphone 3G on AT&T so be aware.

1 / Uninstall iTunes 8.2 .
    2 / Install iTunes 8.1.1
    3 / Place your iPhone (under 3.1 or blocked restores) in DFU
    4 / Make a left Shift + Click Restore and select your ipsw 3.0
    5 / Once the restoration is completed you'll get an error 1015 (Do not worry this is normal)
    6 / Do again a restore but this time not in DFU mode but in the rescue Mode ((Displaying the USB cable on the screen) After the error 1015 phone goes into rescue)
    7 / Once this second restoration always an error 1015
    8 / Close iTunes (8.1.11)
    9 / Open Quickpwn 3.0 (unofficial)
    10 / Quickpwn will tell you that you must reset your device, to do so, 15 seconds remain supported on Home + Power. Your phone turns off, release all, press 2 sec on power and now the iphone tell you that only one emergency call is allowed
    11 / Now itunes will say that the iphone can only be used with version 8.2 of itunes.
    12 / Uninstall 8.1.11 and install itunes 8.2
    13 / Use Redsn0w for jailbreak your phone you're done

PS: The modem is always on 05.08.01, so the network must wait for an Yellowsn0w update

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alcala315 For This Useful Post:

gthugballin (2009-07-28), Inverted2 (2009-08-04), zeromx69 (2009-09-25)

Quote Originally Posted by alcala315 View Post
    I just downgraded my iphone 3G from 3.1 to 3.0 and thought you guys would find it useful but it was translated by google so read carefully. THIS WILL NOT DOWNGRADE THE BASEBAND this is to go back to 3.0 and jailbreak if you desire.

This was done to my iphone 3G on AT&T so be aware.

1 / Uninstall iTunes 8.2 .
    2 / Install iTunes 8.1.1
    3 / Place your iPhone (under 3.1 or blocked restores) in DFU
    4 / Make a left Shift + Click Restore and select your ipsw 3.0
    5 / Once the restoration is completed you'll get an error 1015 (Do not worry this is normal)
    6 / Do again a restore but this time not in DFU mode but in the rescue Mode ((Displaying the USB cable on the screen) After the error 1015 phone goes into rescue)
    7 / Once this second restoration always an error 1015
    8 / Close iTunes (8.1.11)
    9 / Open Quickpwn 3.0 (unofficial)
    10 / Quickpwn will tell you that you must reset your device, to do so, 15 seconds remain supported on Home + Power. Your phone turns off, release all, press 2 sec on power and now the iphone tell you that only one emergency call is allowed
    11 / Now itunes will say that the iphone can only be used with version 8.2 of itunes.
    12 / Uninstall 8.1.11 and install itunes 8.2
    13 / Use Redsn0w for jailbreak your phone you're done

PS: The modem is always on 05.08.01, so the network must wait for an Yellowsn0w update
    can anyone confirm that this method works?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to zeeshee For This Useful Post:

gthugballin (2009-07-28)

Default IT WORKED!!! (with one difference)
    Does this method work? Yes and no.

First of all, I have an iPhone 3GS (not 3G) and made the stupid, stupid mistake of installing the 3.1 beta firmware (I am NOT a developer and got locked out). Luckily I found this post. I followed it step by step, but I have to say that I got different error messages along the way (1600 and 1604, not 1015). I ignored them and stuck with it to the end.

Here's the difference... instead of using redsn0w, I used the new purplera1n to jailbreak. Purplera1n rebooted my phone, I opened up iTunes and VOILA. It recognized my phone, asked if I wanted to restore from a backup (which I happily did) and now my phone is back to normal AND it is jailbroken as a bonus. Purplera1n installs a program called Freeze which you can use to download and install Cydia. I am so happy and relieved. Halle-freakin-lujah!
    Last edited by stucinutah; 2009-07-04 at 06:47 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

This does work on the iPhone 3G.

Downgrade to 3.0 in iTunes 8.2 and it will give you the error.

Remove iTunes 8.2 and install 8.1.1. Redowngrade to 3.0 and it will error again.

Open quickpwn 3.0 beta 5 and it will say to reboot the phone. Close quickpwn after. YOu do not need to go through it so I am not sure if its really needed. When it reboots you will see the emergency call screen.

Open iTunes and it will say you need 8.2 to use the device. Update through iTunes and reboot. When you launch iTunes it will ask you to setup your device.

if you did the upgrade...i have dev spot left

Here's an update to my previous post...

Using purplera1n (release candidate 2) DID work to bring my phone back to 3.0 from 3.1... I'm still very happy about that.

HOWEVER...

When I opened Freeze to download and install Cydia, I encountered a new issue. Anything I later tried to install from Cydia would cause either my springboard to crash or the phone would just freeze up completely and do weird things that I can't explain. I freaked a little.

But there is still good news in the end. I ended up putting the phone in DFU mode, hooking it up to iTunes and hitting Restore. The 1015 error comes up, but all I did was close iTunes, run purplera1n again and I was up and running again. Granted I had to re-sync my entire phone but thankfully I had a backup to restore all my settings. I will not install Cydia this time.

So the short of it is... if you want to downgrade from 3.1 to 3.0, don't go through all those steps from the previous posts (thanks anyway, guys). Just hook your phone up to iTunes, click Restore, let the error message come up, close iTunes and run purplera1n. That's what worked for me.

but....you can not use the phone.....it's a diferent baseband version sou why downgrade??

My phone (and everything else) works just fine. I just am not going to install anything with Cydia this time. That's where my problem resurfaced. I tried to install SBSettings and when it asked to restart the springboard, it would freeze my phone and I would have to restore it all over again.

Granted, this time (as I explained in a previous post) I just hooked it up to iTunes, hit restore, got the 1015 error, closed everything, opened purplera1n (RC2) and let it do its thing. Now when I hook it back up to iTunes to sync, it says I'm on 3.0 and my phone works as it did before I stupidly installed 3.1 beta. This is just my experience.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I upgraded to 3.1 the first day it came out as a beta, however the stupid developer who added me to his list (a friend) took me out after 3.0 officially came out.

Within a few hours I found the same workaround with 1 difference, iTunes 8.1 is not needed! Just do the downgrade to 3.0 through a DFU restore in iTunes 8.2, you get error 1015... after this just download the latest quickpwn(i think it was 2.2) and then follow the prompts and just do the dfu procedure it says with the iPhone plugged in.

This causes the iPhone for whatever reason to boot out of the restore only mode and you get back to springboard with a fully working iPhone and baseband of 05.08.01 (OS 3.1's baseband)

To recap:
    1. restore to OS 3.0 in iTunes 8.2
    2. disconnect/reconnect to computer and turn off phone
    3. download quickpwn 2.2
    4. run quickpwn 2.2 and follow prompts upto the actual jailbreak prompt
    5. by now you should have a fully working iPhone.. springboard loaded and all!
    OH AND BTW DO NOT ATTEMPT QUICKPWN JAILBREAK... AFTER YOU FOLLOW THE THE FIRST FEW PROMPTS AND THE PHONE REBOOTS.. DISCONNECT IT.. IT SHOULD BE WORKING!! YMMV THO! IT WORKED FOR ME.. IT MIGHT NOT WORK FOR YOU!!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Genomalice For This Useful Post:

clincoln (2009-07-07), gthugballin (2009-07-28)

Default whoooopeeee... it worked.
    genomalice, thank you soooo much. this method really works.

what is th Baseband version in the 3.1 beta???

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

IMO the baseband was the best working part of 3.1. Every day I drive through a very low elevation dead zone next to the water that is about 1/2 mile which causes my phone to drop. The new baseband seems to recover the network a lot better than previous versions.

how can you you downgrade and have a baseband work with a FW that doesn't support that baseband version?

where did you get quickpwn 3.0?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bebeboricua View Post
    how can you you downgrade and have a baseband work with a FW that doesn't support that baseband version?
    You can go backwards. The newer versions of the baseband support the older firmwares. People who went to 3.0 and downgraded to 2.2.1 were fine too.

Quote Originally Posted by kenichi0711 View Post
    where did you get quickpwn 3.0?
    Google Quick PWN Beta 5 download. Its out there on random blogs.

Thanx
    Sign by Danasoft - Get Your Free Sign

The Family iPhone 2G , iPhone 3G ,Iphone 3Gs , Iphone 4
    13" MacBook ( Black )

Where exactly does one acquire iTunes 8.1 for OSX? It seems I can only find downloads for older Windows releases.

edit: nm, worked with iTunes 8.2
    Last edited by adm; 2009-07-11 at 02:22 AM.

okay so i have a ATT locked iPhone 3G with 3.1Beta1 installed and working. however i would like to downgrade to 3.0. i have tried everything.. i have 8.1.1 installed i've double restored in dfu and then recovery, but quickpwn 2.2.5 never sees the phone. and redsn0w appears to work but while on the computer it says it is completed the iphone simply sits at downloading jailbreak data.
    i've also tried purplera1n, despite not having a 3gs
    any help??
    Last edited by treedon; 2009-07-11 at 03:23 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by treedon View Post
    okay so i have a ATT locked iPhone 3G with 3.1Beta1 installed and working. however i would like to downgrade to 3.0. i have tried everything.. i have 8.1.1 installed i've double restored in dfu and then recovery, but quickpwn 2.2.5 never sees the phone. and redsn0w appears to work but while on the computer it says it is completed the iphone simply sits at downloading jailbreak data.
    i've also tried purplera1n, despite not having a 3gs
    any help??

That's exactly what it's doing for me. I'd love to know the answer to this.

in my case. i did jailbreaking and unlocking one iPhone 3G for me and one iPhone 3G for my friend with my compaq laptop. One day, my friend was not aware of the update of OS 3.1 Beta sth and he did the update at his laptop, not mine. His phone was gone to only emergency call.

After I connected my friend's iPhone 3G with OS 3.1 and Emergency Call Only at my laptop as Genomalice suggestion (many thanks ^^), iTunes responded that the iPhone had something wrong and it asked me to whether to restore previous system or not. I was so glad and answered yes.

My friend's iPhone alkaline came back and sync those 400 apps (oops! ... hee hee) to 'almost'!! normal. Yes, I used 'redsn0w' to jailbroken this iPhone and then add repo to install 'ultrasn0w' to unlock it later as normal procedure and our lives come back to normal as well

many thanks for all contributions, especially, again, Genomalice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast