Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to Downgrade from 3.0 3G to 2.2.1

Default How to Downgrade from 3.0 3G to 2.2.1
    hey guys seems im having a issue downgrading back to 2.2.1 im on the 3.0 software if anyone can point me to the right direction that would be great.thanx

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

^+1.

Much has been written during the 3.0 beta days ... but something that details moving from the current 3.0 release and ultrasn0w back to 2.2 (or 2.2.1) and using ultrasn0w or yellowsn0w.
    BTW: Since 3.0 updates the baseband, it's not clear if the iPhone can even use ultra/yellowsn0w after a downgraded to 2.x

k thanx thats what i was thinking also i hear everybody downgrading from beta but not (Final) rls.only reason i want to downgrade is because i can't seem to do a phone book/restore from when i backed up my phone when i was on 2.2 so im sure some of u are going threw what IAM.

I found the following answer on Yahoo Answers:

hey dude i was in the same situation as you. there is a way to do it. i looked endless for 3 days since the upgrade i could not wait for dev team but here you go.

Download quickpwn RC3
    http://www.iphone-hacks.com/iphone-downloads/file/138
    and download ipsw 2.02
    http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

okay here is what you do. run quickpwn rc3 you follow through the jailbreaking step, choose 2.02 and all that good stuff. then once your iphone goes into the white screen unplug the usb. Make sure you do unplug it and close quickpwn. plug the usb in, then go into itunes and it will recognize your phone as being in DFU mode. choose your custom 2.21 firmware and boom your back. all you have to do again is unlock/jailbreak it with quickpwn. You can use the lastest itunes to do this. 8.2

I know it sounds like it doesn't work. i did not believe it either, but i had no other choice. i needed my phone and wonderfully it worked well. soo there you go and tell me how it went. good luck.
    I tried that sequence, and it worked! HOORAY!!
    Last edited by Jake P; 2009-07-09 at 06:12 AM.

thats cool to know that you can still downgrade. i thought after 3.0 downgrade was impossible?

The first attempt at this didn't work.. at the end of the itunes restore I get an error saying after trying to "Restoring iPhone firmware"... iPhone could not be restored

Unknown error 1013.. I just want my 2.2.1 back. waaaaaaaaah

"The Napoleon Dynamite of MMI" coloradoxmfan's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mmmmpsi View Post
    The first attempt at this didn't work.. at the end of the itunes restore I get an error saying after trying to "Restoring iPhone firmware"... iPhone could not be restored

Unknown error 1013.. I just want my 2.2.1 back. waaaaaaaaah
    Many topics on this...

Here you go:

How to Downgrade iPhone Firmware 3.0 to 2.2.1

1. Connect your iPhone to your Mac or PC and select your iPhone from the list of devices in iTunes

2. If iTunes does not detect your iPhone then you will need to put it in DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) mode.

3. Browse the Summary Tab,

Mac Users,

Hold down Option and press the “Restore” button

Windows Users,

Hold down Shift and press the Restore button

4. Now browse the folder where you have the iPhone firmware.Select the firmware & hit the restore button and cross your fingers for 5 minutes.

5. Ignore error message like 1011, 1013, 1015 (Actually the firmware 2.2.1 is already successfully installed)

6. Use QuickPWN 2.2.5 to Jailbreak iPhone Firmware 2.2.1

Steps to put iPhone in DFU mode

1. Connect your iPhone to your computer.

2. Turn iPhone off.

3. Hold power and home together for 10 seconds (exactly).

4. Release power but keep holding home until the computers beeps (observed on a PC) as a USB device is recognized.

5. A few seconds later iTunes should detect your iPhone.

Please Note :- If you encountered with error message like 1601, 1602, 1600 or anything else then try putting the
    iPhone into DFU mode and try again.

oh damn well that sucks.. ok i'll try again that.. thanks.

Ok so now what I get.. when I try and run quickPWN I get

"Before continuing please hold down etc.. etc.. "

When I do that QuickPWN crashes and the iphone is sitting at the USB cable to itunes screen??

WTF.
    Last edited by mmmmpsi; 2009-07-09 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I was using 8.2 and I think you're right there.. I hooked up the iPhone to another computer running 8.1 and it seemed to work fine.. now back on 2.2.1 jailbroken.

Thanks for the help!

oh super so here's the new issue..

I have no carrier.. should I not be able to just connect back to AT&T after the firmware has been reinstalled?
    Last edited by mmmmpsi; 2009-07-09 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone Rcooley617's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm having the same problem as well, it took me over 12 hrs. to downgrade. It finally worked, but now it seems like I can't get service on my phone. Wifi and everything works except service. If someone know, please let me know, I would be very grateful

Thanks in Advance
    "R-R"

Yah I have to say I think we're screwed.. once the baseband has been updated that's it.. there is no return to 2.2.1.. I could be wrong but i basically just upgraded to 3.0 and jailbroke with redsn0w and it's working fine again.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Rcooley617's Avatar
    Thanks

yea I was jailbroken on 3.0 but I missed my vWallpaper & vRingtones that I wanted to go back, plus the whole reason I wanted 3.0 was for mms but thats not coming for awhile so that what I wanted to go back for...I wish someone could help or at least lead me in the direction on what to do. Where are all the nice helpful ppl as these days?...Is everyone giving up on MMI?....
    "R-R"

my question is that when i plug in the iphone to itunes in dfu mode it says that i need a newer version of itunes but i had to degrade it to downgrade the firmware so im still stuck and point a trying to figure out how to jailbreak... it be great if anyone can assist me :]

Quote Originally Posted by mmmmpsi View Post
    oh damn well that sucks.. ok i'll try again that.. thanks.

Ok so now what I get.. when I try and run quickPWN I get

"Before continuing please hold down etc.. etc.. "

When I do that QuickPWN crashes and the iphone is sitting at the USB cable to itunes screen??

WTF.
    Same problem here. What i should do when i get "Before continuing please hold down etc.. etc.. "??? HELP PLEASE!
    Last edited by megawind; 2009-07-12 at 06:47 PM.