Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Remove No SIM Warning - 2G as iPod

Default Remove No SIM Warning - 2G as iPod
    I bought the iPhone 3GS so I'm using my old iPhone 2G as an iPod touch. Is there any way to remove the "No SIM card installed" warning that is prompts when the device is turned on?

Also, is it possible to remove the "No SIM" text from the carrier location?

Thanks!

yeah,buy a pay as you go tmobile phone for about 20 bucks, activate it, take the SIM out of the tmobile phone, stick it in the 2g, jailbreak it, then you'd have your 2g as a touch and a backup phone, then you wouldn't have to remove anything.

Iphone 3G, Mac Book, Ipad Mini, Vista, Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by ronzo View Post
    yeah,buy a pay as you go tmobile phone for about 20 bucks, activate it, take the SIM out of the tmobile phone, stick it in the 2g, jailbreak it, then you'd have your 2g as a touch and a backup phone, then you wouldn't have to remove anything.
    umm thanks but that's not quite what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a hack or utility I can install through Cydia. I've looked through all the standard packages in Cydia but didn't find anything. Any ideas?

Livin the iPhone Life SharpieBandit's Avatar
    Thanks

If you turn on Airplane Mode I think it does what you are asking. Buuuut then you've got an airplane in the corner. That's cool tho, right?

Quote Originally Posted by SharpieBandit View Post
    If you turn on Airplane Mode I think it does what you are asking. Buuuut then you've got an airplane in the corner. That's cool tho, right?
    Yes that works, thank you very much!

since you mention cydia, I'm assuming your 2g is already jailbroken and I understand what your lookin for but I don't think there's alot of utilities out there being developed to use the iphone as an itouch. I'd say the odds are slim to none. another option would be to sell your 2g and by an itouch.

Iphone 3G, Mac Book, Ipad Mini, Vista, Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by SharpieBandit View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but wont that disable his wifi though?? Theres gotta be a way to change it??

O ya...one time I was messing with my M68AP.plist file and screwed it up some how and my iPhone 3G re-sprung into a ipod, you can try that if you bold, it was kinda cool!
    Last edited by ikmc915; 2009-07-02 at 05:32 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life SharpieBandit's Avatar
    Thanks

If you turn WiFi on AFTER you turn Airplane Mode on, it will work.

Ok I figured out a good way if your up to it. Edit your M68AP.plist, its in System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app

Then if you know how, edit the telephoney Boolean under capabilities to value="NO"

I know this is kinda a half *** explanation but if you want to try it, I'll try a little better.

This will basically turn the iPhone into a iPod with a camera!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ikmc915 View Post
    Ok I figured out a good way if your up to it. Edit your M68AP.plist, its in System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app

Then if you know how, edit the telephoney Boolean under capabilities to value="NO"

I know this is kinda a half *** explanation but if you want to try it, I'll try a little better.

This will basically turn the iPhone into a iPod with a camera!!!
    Intersting idea. I've tried this two ways:

Creating a theme with the modified M68AP.plist file
    Directly editing the file in System

Neither one gets rid of the message "No sim card installed" but it does remove the phone app and Statusbar wording "No Sim".

I've also tried using MyStrings but no joy.

It seems Airplane mode is the only way to remove the annoying "No Sim" pop up!

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

You can try popup disabler in cydia. Or if you have a old sim laying around that you dont use anymore you can put that in it even if it doesnt work anymore it should stop that message from coming up.