Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Swaptunes Problems On iPhone 3G & OS 3.0

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Unhappy Swaptunes Problems On iPhone 3G & OS 3.0
    If this the incorrect forum, I apologise, please point me in the right direction :-)

I updated my iphone 3G the other day and Jailbreaked using Redsnow on a PowerPC G5 iMac (iSight) and everything has gone well.

Today, i have taked delivery of a new MacBook Pro and after copying all my stuff over as well as my 130GB itunes library, I installed Swaptunes so that i could synch or add music from both computers.

I followed the instructions to the letter as given at the developers web address: (SwapTunes - Ste Packaging - No more iPHUCing around. )

but when i connected my iphone to my Macbook, although itunes recognised my iphone and although i had turned off auto synchronizing off, it proceeded to remove all my apps after it had copied some purchased tracks off the iphone into itunes. I had even turned synching of Applications off, but still it went ahead.

Does anybody know the correct way to achieve the method of synching music between two computers and one iphone?

Do you know if this problem is because of OS 3.0 and t no longer works?

Any help or advice welcome.

Yup same problem here. Any news on an update for swaptunes/switch tunes would be great... I'll wait a few more days then restore my phone to the last FW. I need swaptunes - its better than any of the "new" features in 3.0 but the lack of news/updates is worrying.

I've looked all over the net for a fix - nothing.. Please help anyone.....

I have an update for you...

After looking around for weeks trying to find other people with this issue and to see how they resolved it I bit the bullet. The fix is:

Backup your iPhone in iTunes
    Restore your iPhone in iTunes (factory defaults)
    Restore your backup in iTunes
    Jailbreak to 3.0 but choose not to install Icy
    Update Cydia
    install swaptunes.

Everything works great now!!
    Last edited by Cylon_Surfer; 2009-07-03 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

That’s very interesting, so your basically saying its Icy thats the problem?

Many thanks for grabbing the bull by the horns!

I have to admit, i did not find Icy of much use.

By the way, when you say the following:

"...Restore your iPhone in iTunes (factory defaults)
    Restore your backup in iTunes..."

Do you mean i restore it to the current v3.0 software, then restore with the backup i just made?

Sorry to sound a bit thick, but i cannot picture the exact process in my mind, and i want to be certain before i go ahead.

I was able to get it working on my 3GS by installing BigBoss Recommended Tools in Cydia. Swaptunes is just a simple script and it will only work if the MobileMusicPlayer process is killed. The script uses the ps command for this and while Cydia used to contain several command line tools such as ps, it no longer does.

I also added /private/ to the beginning of every path in the swapTunes.sh script but that may not have been necessary.

@DaffyDuck: do you know if it was your bigboss install or your /private/ change that made the difference? it does sound like either of these might do it by itself and it would be best to know. Did you do one first and then the other? It would be great to get this worked out for the 3.0 community and it sounds like you are well on the way there. Thanks.

@drusus: Yes. Go into iTunes and click on restore, which will restore your phone to OS 3.0. It will be blank and locked. Then jailbreak again with RedSn0w, and during install chose to install Cydia but not Icy. After the jailbreak, you can sync to restore your apps and files, then you install SwapTunes with Cydia. It will take a while, but if you installed Cydia and Icy together when you initially jailbroke your phone, it is causing a conflict.

I installed BigBoss Recommended Tools and it bricked my phone. A few other people were having the same problem. It might be because I had Icy installed (after jailbreak), but probably because there is some other conflict with BigBoss Rec. Tools and 3.0. I'll try again after the restore....AGGGHHHHHH!!
    Last edited by thehumble1; 2009-07-15 at 04:40 PM. Reason: add @ drusus

Default swap tunes not working iphone 3.0 3.0.1 missing songs, broken, problems
    Hi everyone,

I can confirm that installing Bigboss recomendend from cydia seems to have solved my problem, and swap tunes is now working again.

Agreeance with the person above that it is probable the most useful feature of the iphone!

Exclamation Swaptunes Problems!!!
    I too have this problem but I have been trying my best to figure out away around this:

Problem: To sync iphone to new itunes with blank swap library, itunes requires me to transfer purchase apps (even when the only thing selected to sync is music) -- OR remove/delete purchased material.

1. runnning iphone 3g w/ FW 3.0 JB w/ Cydia
    2. installed bigboss recommended tools
    3. tried on both mac & pc

Is there any way to sync without deleting my purchased apps? Is this an itunes problem? is it because of the new itunes?

Quote Originally Posted by jordiejones View Post
    I too have this problem but I have been trying my best to figure out away around this:

Problem: To sync iphone to new itunes with blank swap library, itunes requires me to transfer purchase apps (even when the only thing selected to sync is music) -- OR remove/delete purchased material.

1. runnning iphone 3g w/ FW 3.0 JB w/ Cydia
    2. installed bigboss recommended tools
    3. tried on both mac & pc

Is there any way to sync without deleting my purchased apps? Is this an itunes problem? is it because of the new itunes?
    I have the same problem. Music/Videos swap great, but it wants to overwrite my app database when I sync with machine #2. Even if I download all the purchased apps to machine #2, it wants to overwrite my phone's data. That's a showstopper since I can't lose all my app data. I restored from a backup of machine #1 and it's all good, but not sure how to work around it.

Default F*ck Swaptunes!!! USB Drive does the trick!
    So after all this I found the beta of USB Drive for jailbroken iphones. It basicly turns your phone into a USB thumb drive inwhich you can plug away and drag music to directly. Here's what you do:

1. in Cydia add the source apt.dmytro.me
    2. format a new virtual volume 1-2gb should be good for casual use
    3. depending on whether its a pc or a mac, switch to the appropriate mode and reboot phone
    4. plug into said computer and drag all music/files you want
    5. transfer back to home computer and take care of any drm issues
    6. place into itunes!

awesome!!!!