Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [HELP} iPhone 2G isn't detected on PC or MAC

Exclamation [HELP} iPhone 2G isn't detected on PC or MAC
    Hi,

First of all sorry if this thread is on the wrong section, and for bad english. I researched a lot about this issue and found ppl with the similar problems, but none of the solutions worked for me.

My friend was downloading her photos from her 'jailbroken' iPhone 2G, and somehow after disconnecting it got stuck in the pineapple image.

I don't now (and neither does she) wich is the firmware version or wich metod was used to jailbreak.

I've done all the following whitout a SIM. Also tryed putting mi own SIM, wich I use in my "ultrasn0wed" iPhone 3G, wich is normally functioning on the computers i tested.:

I tryed getting it into recovery and DFU mode, so i could just restore it via iTunes. Got the "steve jobs cartoon" screen, but my macbook doesn't reacts when i plug in the usb cable. I also did the process on a PC, but still nothing. Tryed iPhoneTunnel to SSH through cable, but couldn't connect to the iPhone.

Then I downgraded my iTunes version to 8.1 because i read there's an issue with 8.2 version and jailbroken phones. Still nothing.

Is there anyone who could help me on this one?
    I don't really care about losing her data since she said she has a backup in another cellphone. Would just like to restore it and upgrade to 3.0 firmware so I could redsn0w it.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,544 Times in 7,599 Posts

Welcome to MMi
    You will have to get the phone in DFU mode in order for iTunes to detect it an restore to a fresh copy of 3.0. I know you said you tried, but it has to be forced in DFU. Here are a couple of instructions that may help. Good luck.
    DFU mode
    INSTRUCTIONS
    Step 1. Turn off iPhone
    Step 2. Hold down the power and home button.
    Step 3. When you see the Apple logo, release the power button but continue holding the home button down.
    Step 4. Open iTunes and wait for it to tell you that it’s in restore mode.

Alternative Method:
    Step 1. Connect iPhone to USB then listen to the sound when it connect and disconnect.
    Step 2. Hold the home and power buttons until hear the disconnect sound then release power button.
    Step 3. Wait until you hear another sound then release home button

Hi blkcadi, thanks for the fast response!

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    Welcome to MMi
    You will have to get the phone in DFU mode in order for iTunes to detect it an restore to a fresh copy of 3.0. I know you said you tried, but it has to be forced in DFU. Here are a couple of instructions that may help. Good luck.
    DFU mode
    INSTRUCTIONS
    Step 1. Turn off iPhone
    Step 2. Hold down the power and home button.
    Step 3. When you see the Apple logo, release the power button but continue holding the home button down.
    Step 4. Open iTunes and wait for it to tell you that it’s in restore mode.
    This method brought me to "Steve Jobs cartoon" (saw googling around that it is what Restore mode image (the itunes logo + usb cable) has been replaced for in jailbroken iPhones) image, but nothing on iTunes. I kept holding the home button for one minute aproximately

Alternative Method:
    Step 1. Connect iPhone to USB then listen to the sound when it connect and disconnect.
    Step 2. Hold the home and power buttons until hear the disconnect sound then release power button.
    Step 3. Wait until you hear another sound then release home button
    This doesn't work for me no sound in connect/disconnect process... I'll try it whit another USB cable, but mine is working fine with my 3G
    One particular thing that i noticed is that everytime i plug the phone into the macbook, it turns on, into the pineapple logo... wich means that somehow the phone detects that it's usb connected, right?

Thanks
    Thanked 12,544 Times in 7,599 Posts

Yes, correct it should recognize. Not sure what you mean about the pineapple logo. Please explain.

Pineapple logo: The phone was jailbroken some time ago. I guess at "that time" the jailbroken phones using pwnage tool had the apple "loading" logo replaced by a pineapple one...

i don't know if this is allowed, but... here is an image:

http://www.iphonehacks.com/images/08...wned-image.jpg

in my case, the "cicle loading" image that's on bottom appears "behind" the pineapple...

I've already tried an usb hub, since i read somewhere that mac os x had trouble recognizing DFU mode in version 10.5.6 (even if mine is 10.5.7 and i tested it on windows)

I guess there's not much hope, right? :/

Hi,

Just to give a feedback:

I've put a AT&T simcard, and turned it on. It is working again!