Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iphone 2g call problems when upgraded to 3.0

Default iphone 2g call problems when upgraded to 3.0
    From the first hour of using redsnow to update to 3.0, Ive had problems with both incoming and outgoing calls. Maybe 10% of the time, I cant hear the person on the other line. I'll look at the phone and the call will be connected, but no sound! They can always hear me, but I cant hear them. Sometimes, the next call will work, sometimes it takes 5+ trys before it works. I'm pretty sure its not the headphone thing. I've tried restoring and reupgrading a few times too. I'm out of ideas. Is this just me?

Livin the iPhone Life SharpieBandit's Avatar
    Thanks

Did you use the right IPSW?

Default The same here
    I'm having exactly the same problems but a lot more often than 10%.

I have just upgraded my iphone 2G to 3.0, and is freaking me out. Also I suffered the battery drain issue but I solved by turning PUSH notifications off.

Please help

i thought i was the only one!!! do you get the frozen "Slid to answer" screen and when you do the top has "Return to call" bar then disappears and you have a missed call/vmail?? i found the only fix was restarting the phone completely! other than that, no sound on my end. i've been cursing up a storm when i return their call! HAHA

p.s. No redsnow here, i used custom IPSW via Pwnage Tool

@SharpieBandit - As far as I know there is only 1 3.0 ipsw, right?
    I downloaded mine from iclarified...

@sourapple and luisdaniel -

Well, I'm sorry guys, but I'm glad to here I'm not the only one.
    Today, I put my phone in safe mode using SBSettings, and every call has worked fine since. That leads me to believe it's something in springboard that's causing the problem. I'm usually running winterboard, status notifier, weathericon, and SBSettings. Is there any of these that we all have in common? I'm gonna stay in safe mode for a couple days. I'll keep everyone updated.

Thanks!

I have the same problem and tried everything. The only fix for me is restarting the phone then I can make and receive calls no problem...but if my iPhone sits for more then 20 minutes without activity I try to answer an incoming call and no dice. I can't hear them and they can't hear me. Its really frustrating. I am not sure what is causing it but I think I am going to downgrade to 2.2.1 again untill 3.1 comes out.

Add me to the call audio problem list since 3.0. Have 2g JB.

I have even restored but still get the problems: 1) call comes in without ringing or vibrating, I slide to answer and no audio either way; 2) slide gets stuck when trying to answer; and 3) call/answer normally but no audio either way. Remedy is respring, though usually second/repeat call works.

I am running winterboard, notifier (before restore status notifier), weathericon, sbsettings, lockscreen info, reflective dock, 20 sec lockscreen, quickdismiss.

BTW: Used a custom IPSW the first time and redsn0w for the restore. Exact same problems.
    Last edited by ski2020; 2009-07-02 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Added info

I am not sure what the deal is but ski2020 has just about the same things installed as I do I have a few extra options but I really am running a pretty streamlined jailbreak. Is no one else experiencing this?? I find it hard to believe that its just a few people..wonder if its a 2g phone problem or 3.0 problem.

Add me to the list.

2g Iphone, and while I have gone a few days without the problem, it always seems to return. Call comes in, I connect yet there is nothing there. My wife thinks I keep hanging up on her, lol.

So for now, I backed up and restored to a non-JB iphone but its killing me to have it this way. This could be any number of things: the JB itself, 3.0, some piece of software we all have downloaded (Cydia, winterboard) but something is causing a conflict.

What concerns me the most is that it seems to be 2g owners and with such a small number of users/problems it might never be addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by parrishc View Post
    @SharpieBandit - As far as I know there is only 1 3.0 ipsw, right?
    I downloaded mine from iclarified...

@sourapple and luisdaniel -

Well, I'm sorry guys, but I'm glad to here I'm not the only one.
    Today, I put my phone in safe mode using SBSettings, and every call has worked fine since. That leads me to believe it's something in springboard that's causing the problem. I'm usually running winterboard, status notifier, weathericon, and SBSettings. Is there any of these that we all have in common? I'm gonna stay in safe mode for a couple days. I'll keep everyone updated.

Thanks!
    I also run those exact same applications plus several more. Same issue.
    Last edited by GTOpilot; 2009-07-02 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

So, a little update for everyone...I think I've narrowed it down to either reflective dock or weathericon as the culprit.

I uninstalled safari tab closer and status notifier first and still had the same problems.

Next, I uninstalled reflective dock and weathericon.

That was around 9AM this morning and so far everythings been running perfectly.

I'm going to give it another day or so to make sure I haven't just been lucky today, and then install things back one at a time until the problem comes back.

If you guys would uninstall those as well to test this theory, maybe we could shed some more light on this theory...

Let me know, and I'll do the same........Good Luck!!!

So, a little update for everyone...I think I've narrowed it down to either reflective dock or weathericon as the culprit.

I uninstalled safari tab closer and status notifier first and still had the same problems.

I'm going to give it another day or so to make sure I haven't just been lucky today, and then install things back one at a time until the problem comes back.

If you guys would uninstall those as well to test this theory, maybe we could shed some more light on this theory...

I've never used reflective dock but I can say that the last app I installed before this problem started was WeatherIcon.

I will re-JB and begin re-loading my phone once I get home in the morning, as I am at work now.

Thanks for the heads-up and working to solve this problem.

Does anyone have a definitive sequence that reliably and repeatably produces the problem?
    (I don't, only trying to call my iphone after its been asleep for a while.)
    This would help us with the elimination process.

I have disabled WeatherIcon from SBSettings and will report back. Thanks for the information.
    Last edited by ski2020; 2009-07-03 at 05:59 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

my sister's having the same problem with her 2g iPhone after updating to 3.0. she seems to think there's a pattern with the problem occurring AFTER she's listened to a voicemail and if she doesn't reboot her phone and tries to make a call, both sides cant' hear each other but the call does connect. she has mentioned any freezing issues. respringing also doesn't solve the problem. rebooting is a must.

she has winterboard, weathericon, notifier (originally status notifier but uninstalled that) and five icon dock installed. i'll keep you guys updated and will suggest that she tries reinstalling weathericon and see if the problem still happens. thanks

12 hours after re-jailbreaking and putting in all of my apps with the exception of weather icon....no failures yet.

Will continue to see if it holds before thinking about adding weathericon.

Default Weathericon
    I have the same problem on my 3G with 3.0. The problem occurs after the iPhone has been locked for about 45 minutes. Neiter incoming nor outgoing calls are working. If a call comes in, I can see the incoming call screen but no sound and no vibration. Accepting the call is possible but no sound. If I do not answer the call, the incoming call screen will still be on top when I press the home button and it always seems as if someone was calling right then.

First I suspected a customized carrier bundle. Then I disabled Intelliscreen and Weathericon. After reactivating Intelliscreen and leaving Weaterhicon disabled, I had no issues so far.

I tried to narrow down the problem. 45 minutes is the time after which weathericon would on default try to refresh for the third time. Set the refresh intervall to 1 minute and the problem will occur after 3 minutes in sleep mode. If weathericon tries to refresh even in sleep mode, this would also explain the massive battery drain.

I will try to contact David Ashman, the author of weathericon, and hope a new version will be ready when I'm back from holiday in 2 weeks

For all of you having this problem right now, disable weathericon until this issue has been fixed, no need to restore or rejailbreak.

Thank you all for this excellent level of debugging on my WeatherIcon extension. I think I know the problem. On 2g phones, you can not use the phone and data connections at the same time (it's a limitation of EDGE). What's most likely happening is, when the phone "wakes" up on a call, WeatherIcon is notified and attempts to load the weather info (assuming the time interval has passed). In the 3.0 OS, there must be a bug that causes this data connection to interrupt and corrupt the phone connection.

I'll try to add in some additional checks and filters to make sure this type of thing doesn't happen. I'll do my best to get something out ASAP, but in the interim, I'd recommend not using WeatherIcon.

Since disabling WeatherIcon, I have had no problems.

At this point, I have posted at Stimpy's (David) WeatherIcon forum at MacThemes:

MacThemes Forum / [MS Extension] WeatherIcon
    Last edited by ski2020; 2009-07-04 at 04:34 PM.

Thanks!
    Last edited by MissChief; 2009-07-04 at 11:43 PM.

So, weathericon has officially been identified as the problem. However, weathericon version 2.1.14 has just been released. With this version, these issues have supposedly been addressed. I'm installing as we speak and will let everyone know...

So, weathericon has officially been identified as the problem. However, weathericon version 2.1.14 has just been released. With this version, these issues have supposedly been addressed. I'm installing as we speak and will let everyone know...
    In my own defense, WeatherIcon isn't the problem, per se. The issue is in the Apple firmware dealing with concurrent data and voice connections on EDGE. In 2.X OS, the phone gracefully handled this and didn't screw up the voice connection for a requested data connection. In 3.0, it looks like that broke. People have reported the exact same problem occurring if they receive a call in EDGE mode and have push mail turned on. When the phone wakes up, it tries to make a data connection for the mail and messes up the call too. WeatherIcon just made it more visible since it attempts to update the weather when the call comes in (assuming it's passed the refresh interval).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast