Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlock AT&T iPhone w/ 3.0 for Australia Vodafone

Default Unlock AT&T iPhone w/ 3.0 for Australia Vodafone
    Long story short: I currently live in America and I've had my iPhone 3g for about 7 months now with AT&T service. I am moving to Australia for a year and I don't want to purchase another iPhone. The iPhone help support at AT&T told me the hardware is different in American iPhones than it is in Australian iPhones.

Is it possible for me to unlock my current iPhone 3G with my 3.0 software before I move to Australia and have it work seamlessly here with AT&T and then work as soon as I pop in a Vodafone sim when I arrive to Australia? If this is possible, will I be able to sync my iPhone up to iTunes and download future updates with no problem?

Thanks!

You can use Ultrasn0w which is found in cydia to unlock your phone.

Thanks

...of course you'll need to jailbreak first.

(not sure if you're a newb or not)

Yup! Pretty new to all of this. I read so many horror stories about people trying to jailbreak their phones and failing terribly and not being able to use them! Haha. So, do you think you could possibly point me into the right direction of user guides of how to jailbreak my phone and then how to unlock it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by antonea View Post
    Yup! Pretty new to all of this. I read so many horror stories about people trying to jailbreak their phones and failing terribly and not being able to use them! Haha. So, do you think you could possibly point me into the right direction of user guides of how to jailbreak my phone and then how to unlock it?
    Don't worry. I was scared the first time too! (I think we all were?)

Check this out:
    iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone on OS 3.0 Using RedSn0w (Windows)

Oh and unlocking after upgrading to 3.0 then jailbreaking is as easy as making ramen.

From the official site of the creators of these wonderful tools: (Dev-Team Blog)

1. Run Cydia or Icy
    2. Please add the repo repo666.ultrasn0w.com to Cydia or Icy. (That last “o” is actually the number zero “0”!)
    3. Search for ‘ultrasn0w’ in cydia or icy and install ultrasn0w
    4. Reboot your iPhone 3G
    5. T-Mobile USA users should disable 3G before using ultrasn0w
    Last edited by @heyart; 2009-06-27 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

I've used my unlocked iPhone in Australia with out a hitch. Don't believe ATT. The iPhone hardware is the same in every country, just locked to their carriers. On my last trip to Australia I popped in an Optus prepaid sim and started getting emails immediately with out having to configure anything.

Thank you guys so much! I will look into unlocking it next week! I want to have it all ready before I leave. I will bookmark this thread and the links you sent me and if I have any questions hopefully I'll be able to refer back to this post! Thanks!

What's the good word, antonea? I'm in the same boat, about to go from the US to OZ in a few days, and about about to take the jailbreak pludge. Did ultrasn0w work out for you?