Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 2g with no data plan?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default iPhone 2g with no data plan?
    any ways to JB the 2g and use a variation of apps to make it think you have a data plan on wifi and make calls? a friend has a Nokia for his wife and the sim card. he just bought the 3g-s and wants to give his 2g to his wife. he poped the nokia sim in and wouldnt make calls. i told him he has to have a data plan. but all she wants is to use it as an ipod and make calls. no maps or anything that uses data.

is there a way around any of this that still works? i found some old post of other websites that you trick the sim and all this by going to some certain website. does anything still exist or is it a must to have the data plan?

you can try boss preferences. I used it when i gave my mom my old 2g and i just turned off edge. She can make calls and everything without a data plan.

buy a pay as you go phone (att or tmobile),jailbreak it with the new SIM IN the iphone DURING THE PROCESS, install boss preferences,select shut off the edge/3g networks.
    I've been using a pay as you go SIM on my 2g right out of the box, never had a contract with ATT. First I had att pay as you go but switched to tmobile, just seems like a better deal even though they don't have rollover mins, they give you more airtime for your money.

Iphone 3G, Mac Book, Ipad Mini, Vista, Windows 7

Thanks

He wants to keep AT&T. So the tmobile wouldn't be an option. But your saying if he chooses a pay as you go plan with AT&T an turn the edge off, using the pre paid sim that he would never have to pay the data? How does he get the pre paid to work with an iPhone though without the data I'd he tells AT&T he wants to go pre paid. Know what I mean?does he tell AT&T it is for the nokia? And just use the iPhone to activate?

you activate the prepaid phone first, then assuming the iphone is jailbroken, you just put the prepaid SIM in the iphone, disable Edge/3G and you don't have to say squat to ATT.

Thanks

Sounds easy enough. No way to do it on a regular plan though?

Quote Originally Posted by tha5150 View Post
    Sounds easy enough. No way to do it on a regular plan though?
    I don't believe so, I haven't looked into it much but I think all plans come with some sort of data plan. I use the pay as you go option for that reason for one. I don't use a lot of data. I live in the city so I could always find a hotspot easy enough if I really needed to access the web while on the go. I also don't spend a lot of time on the phone so it works well for me. I had an Itouch but when the Iphone was born and I saw that it was "hackable", I saw an opportunity to consolidate a few gadgets into one and have one less item to carry. I had already been using an ATT pay as you go phone for a long time so I already had the SIM BUT I recently switched to Tmobile because they give you more airtime for your money. They don't have rollover like ATT but it doesn't matter if your not constantly on the phone. If you spend a lot of time using the phone or data, you'd probably be better off with some kind of plan.