Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: This has to be simpler than I'm making it..

Default This has to be simpler than I'm making it..
    I bought an iPhone 2g off a friend to give to my dad as an iPod Touch (he doesn't want it as a phone, and besides he's on verizon so it's not even possible). Right now, my friend wiped it so it's back at the Activation "No SIM card installed" screen. All I want to do is be able to unlock this phone so that he can use it, preferably with his own itunes account.

No matter what I try (reading tons of stuff online but I must be missing something), I can't get this simple thing to happen. I downloaded redsn0w 0.72 and the iPhone1,1_2.2.1_5H11_Restore.ipsw and the BL-39.bin and BL-46.bin. Whenever I tell redsn0w to open the ipsw, it says "Unable to recognize specified IPSW". It does this on my mac and my windows PC. WTF. So I downloaded PwnageTool and it does the same thing, just a different message (can't remember what). I tried QuickPWN, but it failed at the part where it tries to auto-recognize the iPhone, as it opens iTunes which pops up the "iTunes cannot activate your phone because the SIM Card is not inserted..." message.

There has to be a way to do this. I have my own iPhone with a working SIM card, but I'm afraid to put it in this one to maybe start the process because I'm scared that it'll somehow mess up my situation with my iPhone. If theres a way to do this with it and not screw with my service at all, I'd be down.

Any ideas? Thanks.

If I helped you, then hit the "Thanks!" button please.

Quote Originally Posted by Soodeh View Post
    I can't find Cydia on app store

But the last iphone OS on this phone was 2.2.1... can I still use redsn0w and 3.0, or is there another app I should use in it's place to do it with 2.2.1 so I can at least update the phone to 3.0.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xshare View Post
    But the last iphone OS on this phone was 2.2.1... can I still use redsn0w and 3.0, or is there another app I should use in it's place to do it with 2.2.1 so I can at least update the phone to 3.0.
    you have to update iTunes to 8.2, run 3.0 on your phone, then j/b

Thanks for the quick response, but I don't think you read my original post. The phone is currently in the "No SIM card installed" state and won't open in iTunes unless I DFA it. In which case, the only thing it lets me do is "Restore".

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Also, I believe he will have to have it in Airplane mode whenever he syncs in iTunes after it is jailbroken.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Sorry I just read the post above mine originally.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wt34ZoINRE]YouTube - Sync unlocked iPhone 3G with iTunes SIM card not supported[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyalexander View Post
    Alright, thanks for the response, but again, I don't think you're reading my first post clearly, or maybe I didn't give enough information.

When I plug my phone into the computer, or try to open iTunes with it already plugged in, iTunes tells me that the phone does not have a valid SIM card in it and that it can't do anything with it. It does not show up on the left side. I can put it in DFA mode and it will, but it only lets me restore. Can I do those instructions with it in DFA mode for the 3.0 restore in iTunes, or could that screw me?

Of course, by DFA mode I meant DFU mode. My bad.

Same thing applies: in DFU mode, can I simply restore the iphone1,1_3.0_(etc..).ipsw in iTunes and it'll upgrade me to 3.0 so I can use redsn0w? Will this brick my iPhone?

badass, I got it. Thanks guys. DFU mode worked the restore and then redsn0w did the job. airplane mode lets me plug into iTunes with no problems. It works.
    Last edited by Xshare; 2009-06-25 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost