Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Why can't you jailbreak a 3GS?

Default Why can't you jailbreak a 3GS?
    Why hasn't the iPhone 3GS been jailbroken yet?

Thanks

Because it hasn't. Be patient it will come...

They just released ultrasn0w, give them a break
    Last edited by z3r01; 2009-06-23 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

New phone + New hardware = Will take some time for Jailbreak. There are a lot of people working on this Jailbreak. Give it some time.

Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
    Because it hasn't. Be patient it will come...
    Do you just reply to threads to get your post count up, because that's not answer nor does it help anyone. I know it hasn't been jailbroken I'm asking why....

Quote Originally Posted by chris4851 View Post
    New phone + New hardware = Will take some time for Jailbreak. There are a lot of people working on this Jailbreak. Give it some time.
    I'm looking for a more technical reason not just "You can't because it's new". I'm sure people have tried to jailbreak the 3GS using Pwnagetool 3.0 what happens?

Because the firmware/hardware in the 3G[s} is different than that of the 3G and they have to find a new exploit (or in other words "back door") to enter in order to hack that beast.

The 3G is as different code wise (basically) to a 3G[s] as it is between a 2g if you wanna look at it that way.

So right now its alot of failed attempts.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

Heyro (2009-06-24)

My iPhone is a Part of Me IvanPK's Avatar
    Thanks

^^lol... Pwnagetool won't work for the 3GS because it wasnt CODED for the 3GS. The iPhone Dev team (who created Pwnagetool) is working on jailbreaking it.. the iPhone is not something which can automatically be jailbroken, remember, Apple does NOT like jailbreaking and they are trying to make their devices unjailbreakable. It's a game of cat and mouse.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to IvanPK For This Useful Post:

Heyro (2009-06-24)

Livin the iPhone Life mr.sparky's Avatar
    Thanks

@heyro. Give it a shot. Let me know how it works for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    Because the firmware/hardware in the 3G[s} is different than that of the 3G and they have to find a new exploit (or in other words "back door") to enter in order to hack that beast.

The 3G is as different code wise (basically) to a 3G[s] as it is between a 2g if you wanna look at it that way.

So right now its alot of failed attempts.
    *Thanked*

Quote Originally Posted by IvanPK View Post
    Apple does NOT like jailbreaking and they are trying to make their devices unjailbreakable. It's a game of cat and mouse.
    When I plug my iPhone into my computer and iTunes opens up a pop up comes up and says it needs to send some information from my iPhone to Apple. I click on more info and I can see that in the file it wants to send it says stuff about Cydia. So iTunes can detect that iPhones have been modified why doesn't iTunes back up your iPhone and MAKE you restore it?

Quote Originally Posted by mr.sparky View Post
    @heyro. Give it a shot. Let me know how it works for ya.
    I currently have a iPhone 3G; 3GS is in the mail on it's way though.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kwickone's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Heyro View Post
    Do you just reply to threads to get your post count up, because that's not answer nor does it help anyone. I know it hasn't been jailbroken I'm asking why....

I'm looking for a more technical reason not just "You can't because it's new". I'm sure people have tried to jailbreak the 3GS using Pwnagetool 3.0 what happens?
    If you wanted a more intelligent answer, you should have asked a more intelligently worded question. Your question was simple, so the responses were simple. Not meaning to be mean, just stating the facts.

My iPhone is a Part of Me IvanPK's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm guessing because if they forced you to restore it would be really creepy, too controlling, and there could be lawsuits maybe? I mean if a company remotly disables your phone and forces you to restore, one could always possible lose data...

However, they do have that 'App Killswitch', remember?

Quote Originally Posted by kwickone View Post
    If you wanted a more intelligent answer, you should have asked a more intelligently worded question. Your question was simple, so the responses were simple. Not meaning to be mean, just stating the facts.
    I can see where you're coming from, but just because one words the question simple doesn't mean it needs a simple answer.

Quote Originally Posted by IvanPK View Post
    I'm guessing because if they forced you to restore it would be really creepy, too controlling, and there could be lawsuits maybe? I mean if a company remotly disables your phone and forces you to restore, one could always possible lose data...

However, they do have that 'App Killswitch', remember?
    Good thing they aren't like the RIAA.

Apple is also playing both sides of the fence to keep customers happy and keep sales up.

They know full and well the overwhelming # of people that jailbreak and enjoy it, even though they keep a "not allowed" stance and constantly patch exploits in the background....

I think coming out and doing something like restoring your phone everytime you plug it in would absolutely piss people off and Apple's sales would hurt....and they know it.