Results 1 to 10 of 10

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: I cant update to 2.2.1. HELP!

  1. #1
    Default I cant update to 2.2.1. HELP!
    so a friend gave me his old iphone first gen. i was able to unlock it but i had the at&t sim card in. i'm trying to use t-mobile. when i put in my t-mobile sim card it was not recognized and i realized that my phone was still on the 2.0.1 firmware. i downloaded 2.2.1 but when i try and update it, it just opens itunes and wants me to update to 3.0. how do i install this 2.2.1 firmware???

  2. #2
    Community Manager Bo Troxell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
     Valley of the Sun, ARIZONA ♥♥♥
    Posts
    35,196
    Thanks
    5,590
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

    downgrade? why not go to 3.0?
    to answer your question you have to also downgrade your iTunes also.
    Here is a link to firmwares that may help you.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    downgrade? why not go to 3.0?
    to answer your question you have to also downgrade your iTunes also.
    Here is a link to firmwares that may help you.


    because the pwnage tool says it wont work with 3.0. it says it HAS to be 2.2.1 for it to work properly. and i wont be downgrading since i'm currently at 2.0.1

  4. #4
    Why don't you get the new pwnage tool? It was released on Friday and fully supports 3.0. You can get it on the dev teams blog.

    But to also answer your question. Once you have your custom 2.2.1 FW. Open up iTunes, click on your iPhone. Where it says Restore. Hold down option if your on a Mac or hold down ALT if your on a PC. Then click the restore button. It will ask you to locate your FW. Find your custom 2.2.1 and select it. It should then upgrade you to 2.2.1.

    But really, upgrade to 3.0. All the new features are fantastic.

  5. #5
    On PC hold down SHIFT then click restore.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisj979 View Post
    On PC hold down SHIFT then click restore.

    Thanks, that solved that part but now i have a different problem. I ran quickpwn and it went through the whole process and completed but once it was done it just went back to that screen that says "different sim detected please connect to itunes." what do i do now? according to the instructions i followed that should have been it. i was correct in putting my t-mobile sim card in there right?

  7. #7
    Retired Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Alhambra, CA
    Posts
    16,904
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by goodcall View Post
    Thanks, that solved that part but now i have a different problem. I ran quickpwn and it went through the whole process and completed but once it was done it just went back to that screen that says "different sim detected please connect to itunes." what do i do now? according to the instructions i followed that should have been it. i was correct in putting my t-mobile sim card in there right?
    So you're on 2.2.1 baseband 2.28 right? If so go to Cydia and install yellowsn0w, then it should be fine. If you're following what I'm saying, don't know how to install yellowsn0w, just holla and I'll say how =) If not, then I'm sorry for wasting this space, lol.

  8. #8
    hi,
    am on 2.1..unlock 2g..can i install 3.0 with itunes8 or do i need to update itunes also?

    appreciate

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    So you're on 2.2.1 baseband 2.28 right? If so go to Cydia and install yellowsn0w, then it should be fine. If you're following what I'm saying, don't know how to install yellowsn0w, just holla and I'll say how =) If not, then I'm sorry for wasting this space, lol.
    YThe OP has a 2G iPhone not 3G so not sure why he's not upgrading to 3.0 - he doen't need YellowS0w.

    Quote Originally Posted by harindr View Post
    hi,
    am on 2.1..unlock 2g..can i install 3.0 with itunes8 or do i need to update itunes also?

    appreciate
    You need iTunes 8.2
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

    harindr (2009-06-22)

  11. #10
    Retired Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Alhambra, CA
    Posts
    16,904
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

    I'm sorry I skipped over the 2G part. I'm so used to seeing 3G. You're right 2G iPhones can be jailbroken and unlocked on 3.0 with rwdsn0w.

    Redsn0w* sorry on my iPhone can't edit my post >.<
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2009-06-22 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •