Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Completly new to this. Would you kindly point me in the right direction?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Smile Completly new to this. Would you kindly point me in the right direction?
    Hi all,

I am basically completly new to all of this stuff!

Would you possibly answer a couple of questions or point me in the direction of where I can find the answers.

I might be a bit of a muppet but I couldn't find an FAQ which might have the answers.

What are the benefits of jailbreaking the iphone? Am I right in thinking it completly frees your phone so you can use it like any other phone on the market - Unhindered apps (Within reason), ringtones, message alert tones etc. Could someone list benefits for me or what you can do versus what you couldn't before jailbreaking?

I have OS 3.0, an iPhone 3G, I have upgraded itunes to the latest version and run windows vista - What do I need to download + do to complete the task correctly?

Thanks all for your patience and time!

Emby

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

You should find everything you need here:

Good luck,

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/general...w-windows.html
    There're never enough iPhone Mods
    If anything I said helped you, Please press the Thanks! button

Green Apple
    Thanks

As previously mentioned please understand that redsn0w ONLY jailbreaks iPhone 3Gs and DOES NOT unlock the iPhone 3G which means that if you have another cell phone carrier other than AT&T you should wait to jailbreak your iPhone 3G until UltraSnow its released.
    really sorry for what is probably a silly question but does the above mean that it will not jb 3g and only the 3gs or will it do the 3g. It looks like the above is a typo ?

Ps I'm on O2 in the uk, not AT&T
    Last edited by Emby; 2009-06-21 at 12:27 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Emby View Post
    really sorry for what is probably a silly question but does the above mean that it will not jb 3g and only the 3gs or will it do the 3g. It looks like the above is a typo ?

Ps I'm on O2 in the uk, not AT&T

It means it will only jailbreak 3G iPhones and not unlock them. They do not have a jailbreak/unlock out for 3GS yet. If you are using another carrier other than att then dont use this jailbreak yet until there is an unlock.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I see, so if all I want to do is jail break my 3G on O2 but am not worried about unlocking it this is ok? Just want to confirm.

Again I have a standard 3G With OS 3.0 in the uk with the carrier O2. Windows vista.

Thanks again!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Emby View Post
    I see, so if all I want to do is jail break my 3G on O2 but am not worried about unlocking it this is ok? Just want to confirm.

Again I have a standard 3G With OS 3.0 in the uk with the carrier O2. Windows vista.

Thanks again!
    Yes you can jailbreak your iPhone 3G but no unlock. I don't know what O2 is but if it is a legitimate iPhone provider than you shouldn't have to worry. I just jailbroke my iPhone 3G with redsn0w no problem on Windows 7 so vista shouldn't be an issue.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thankyou Yoshi9769,

I will do that this afternoon! Ps ,O2 is the official iPhone seller/carrier in the uk.

Emby