Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Activate and unlock without jailbreak?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Activate and unlock without jailbreak?
    Original iPhone activated, unlocked, and jailbroken through every iPhone OS release
    Mac OS X 10.5.7

Is there a way to activate and unlock without jailbreaking? I can use low-level Unix-shell-based tools, if necessary.

After I install any Apple update (including 3.0), after rebooting, my iPhone screen still displays the restore screen with the unactivated screen superimposed. iTunes treats my phone as an unactivated iPhone, but QuickPwn 2.2.5 ignores it (i.e., doesn't detect what type of device it is), so I can no longer activate, unlock, and jailbreak using QuickPwn. The customized pre-3.0 firmware produced by PwnageTool 2.2.5 will no longer install due to various errors (21, 1604, etc.). In the past, I have been able to use both QuickPwn and PwnageTool without problems.

Activation and unlocking are far more important to me now than jailbreaking. In the past, Cydia updates have caused serious problems like Cydia and other apps always crashing upon launch, iPhone OS kernel panics that prevented booting from completing, and other serious instability that forced restoration of iPhone OS. I suspect that a hardware problem may be to blame, but I would like to eliminate Cydia and the changes that jailbreaking implements, if possible.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

"Hactivation" is part of the jailbreak process. And you can't unlock without an activated and jailbroken phone... so in short... "no".