Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3.0 Upgrade Disaster

Default 3.0 Upgrade Disaster
    I was on an unlocked, jailbroken 2G iphone on 2.2 with T-mobile. I've been pretty good in the past about upgrading/jailbreaking and some basic modding, so I thought I could upgrade to the 3.0 beta 5 with no problem, to see what the fuss is about.

I got some info from other people here that all I had to do was "shift+restore" with the latest 3.0 OS and I'd be good to go w/Tmobile, but no jailbreak. I tried that and wound up only being able to make Emergency calls, depsite seeing "T-Mobile" across the top.

I tried to quickpwn it with beta 5, but kept having Quickpwn boot me off and then getting the the pink screen of death. After putting it in DFU mode and doing everything I could, somehow I got it out of the pink screen of death and "Just" back to the emergency call.

I've upgraded and downgraded iTunes, added 3.5 Net frameworks, etc. How the heck do I get back to 2.2? I've search around and followed this (for example) How to Downgrade iPhone 3G / 2G 3.0 back to 2.2.1 | iPhone

Did Apple put something in 8.2 that messes with iphones so you can't used them again? I've searched and searched. Any ideas?? I'm desperate and willing to help out if nece$$ary.

same problem i had, took 2 hours to fix!

you need to downgrade to 2.0.2 then try upgrade to 2.2 again, which i'm currently struggling to do, but i got my phone back to 2.0.2 and everything works, it's just not as good as 2.2, but at least it works while i figure out how to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinner23 View Post
    I was on an unlocked, jailbroken 2G iphone on 2.2 with T-mobile. I've been pretty good in the past about upgrading/jailbreaking and some basic modding, so I thought I could upgrade to the 3.0 beta 5 with no problem, to see what the fuss is about.
    My self Vinay from iHackintosh i have successfully upgraded up to iPhone OS 3.0 GM release you need to doa little work check my guide here.
    How to Install and Unlock OS 3.0 beta on your iPhone 2G. | iPhone

If you have Pwned your iPhone donít worry do a simple update.if you used QuickPwn (Windows tool) in past please follow the first procedure it requires restore-downgrade-update trick.

Gave it a shot and it seemed I made some headway. Followed the onscreen instructions, even got to see the pineapple on the screen, but it just stopped loading. Did you go back to 2.0.2 or 2.0 first?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

The official release is in a week. You've had 2.2 for months and couldn't another wait a week. *Shakes head in shame*

Hey iHackintosh,

I just checked out your guide, but it is for the beta version.
    Is it the same procedure for the GM version?

I have downloaded it and it is ready to go, but I want to be sure that it can be done and will work without problems.

========================================
    I have:
    - iPhone 2G (2.2.1)
    - QuickPwn'ed (T-Mobile)
    - iTunes 8.1.0.52

=========================================
    Housekeepin'?

Totally agreed with Poseidon The official release is in a week. You've had 2.2 for months and couldn't another wait a week.

@Oliver350Z Yes with a slightly difference check the latest post
    How to Unlock iPhone 2G with OS 3.0 GM Gold | iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Shinner23 View Post
    Gave it a shot and it seemed I made some headway. Followed the onscreen instructions, even got to see the pineapple on the screen, but it just stopped loading. Did you go back to 2.0.2 or 2.0 first?
    i went back to 2.0.2, can't update now :/ haha

I just want to post my experience in this thread to see if i can help. I had a 2g unlocked/jb iPhone running 2.2.1 that i wanted to upgrade to 3.0 gm but accidentally restored (yea, big idiot, i know). Anyways, I wasn't activated and could only make emergency calls so i tried to restore to a pwned 2.2.1 that i had lying around but that didn't work so i downloaded a fresh 2.2.1 and downgraded my itunes to 8.1.1 and tried to restore but i got an error (1604?) So downloaded 2.0.2 as per the advice of someone and THAT worked. So I had 2.0.2 restored to the original 2.2.1 firmware/used quickpwn to get my unlock/jb back then UPGRADED to itunes 8.2 and did a straight update to 3.0 gm.

To simplify:
    1. Downgrade to itunes 8.1.1
    2. DFU Mode/Restore to 2.0.2
    3. Restore to 2.2.1 right after
    4. Quickpwn that bad boy
    5. Upgrade to iTunes 8.2
    6. Alt+Update to 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    The official release is in a week. You've had 2.2 for months and couldn't another wait a week. *Shakes head in shame*
    I know, embarrassing! FWIW, i was planning on restoring it to 2.2 b/c it was pretty slow, so I figured I'd try to upgrade to 3.0 to see what it's like and just go back to 2.2 if I had a problem. Of course, I really f'd it up and panicked.

Anyway, up and running again on 2.2. Had to go to 2.0.2 first. I'll be patient now.

Thanks for the constructive responses (and the ribbing Poseidon)!

or... just download the 3.0GM... works fine with my 3g... although there is no unlock/jailbreak at the moment. saw some sites sharing them... here's one... Download iPhone OS 3.0 GM | FSMdotCOM

Hey !

3G iPhone - 3.0GM

Have you noticed that your wireless range doesn't seem to be as good ? Mine also doesn't automatically reconnect to trusted networks like before, i have to manually do it.

Anyone else ?