Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: messed up 3.0 upgrade, help!

Default messed up 3.0 upgrade, help!
    i got the gm off what.cd and a few people done it and said it worked fine, i shift clicked on update (should i have done restore? ) but yeah, it did it's thing and then connected to itunes and wanted me to activate it like it does when you first plug the iphone in after getting it brand new out the box. and my iphone screen is asking me to connect to itunes even when it is, what do i do?

thanks guys, know it must be a pain in the arse round here at the moment.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

Are you sure its the GM? What color is the screen? What phoned do you have? What itunes?

yeah it's the gm, i have a 2g iphone running itunes 8.2 and the screen is asking me to plug the phone into the pc to connect to itunes, with the lead and itunes symbol on the screen.

I can only speak from my experience which was with an unlocked t-mobile 2g running 2.2.1 and i accidentally did a RESTORE which was the wrong choice and it took away my activation (which is what youre currently seeing) if you had an unlock it still might say t-mobile in the corner because my unlock stayed. Anyways, after panicking for awhile i got my head together and tried to downgrade to 2.2.1, no go. iTunes 8.2 is needed to upgrade to 3.0 but doesn't allow you to downgrade so i needed to downgrade to 8.1.1 which, incidentally, deleted my iPhone backups which pissed me off to no end. Anyways, that still didn't let me downgrade to 2.2.1, it got half way through or so and i go an unknown error (20). So i freaked again thinking i bricked it but then i just decided to try another firmware so i restored to 2.0.2 and that worked fine for whatever reason then i restored to 2.2.1 again, used quickpwn to unlock and jailbreak and then UPDATED to 3.0 with itunes 8.2 again via ****+click or alt/option+click. Hope this helps you because i was looking for this thread last night when I messed mine up and down.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to captainmccool For This Useful Post:

asherj123 (2009-06-10)

Quote Originally Posted by captainmccool View Post
    I can only speak from my experience which was with an unlocked t-mobile 2g running 2.2.1 and i accidentally did a RESTORE which was the wrong choice and it took away my activation (which is what youre currently seeing) if you had an unlock it still might say t-mobile in the corner because my unlock stayed. Anyways, after panicking for awhile i got my head together and tried to downgrade to 2.2.1, no go. iTunes 8.2 is needed to upgrade to 3.0 but doesn't allow you to downgrade so i needed to downgrade to 8.1.1 which, incidentally, deleted my iPhone backups which pissed me off to no end. Anyways, that still didn't let me downgrade to 2.2.1, it got half way through or so and i go an unknown error (20). So i freaked again thinking i bricked it but then i just decided to try another firmware so i restored to 2.0.2 and that worked fine for whatever reason then i restored to 2.2.1 again, used quickpwn to unlock and jailbreak and then UPDATED to 3.0 with itunes 8.2 again via ****+click or alt/option+click. Hope this helps you because i was looking for this thread last night when I messed mine up and down.
    thanks, i'll try that.

could you do me a favour and guide me step by step on how you went from 2.2.1 to 3.0? that would be awesome.

Well if you HAVE 2.2.1 installed and your phone is unlocked/activated like it should be it's really easy.

1. Plug your 2.2.1 iphone into itunes--If it's working like it should be you should see your main phone screen in itunes where it shows the firmware you're running, your serial, the "check for updates" button and the "Restore" button.
    2. Ensure that you have the 3.0 gm 2g firmware saved somewhere you can easily find it on your computer. Desktop for instance.
    3. If you're on a PC shift+click if on Mac hit alt/option+click and it should bring up a browser where you can find and select your 3.0 firmware file.
    4. In theory if your 2.2.1 phone is working unlocked and activated/you can cruise through the homescreen and everything then the update should work just fine and you won't need to do anything else.

In your first post you said you thought maybe you should restore DO NOT RESTORE if you're on unlocked/activated 2g. The ONLY restore you can do if you want a fresh install is for 2.2.1. Backup your iPhone, make sure your contacts are on your computer somewhere and do a fresh install of 2.2.1. You may need to unlock again with quickpwn which is no big deal. Let me know if you have any other questions as I probably have the answers since i went through this exact same thing last night. Unfortunately :-(

Quote Originally Posted by captainmccool View Post
    Well if you HAVE 2.2.1 installed and your phone is unlocked/activated like it should be it's really easy.

1. Plug your 2.2.1 iphone into itunes--If it's working like it should be you should see your main phone screen in itunes where it shows the firmware you're running, your serial, the "check for updates" button and the "Restore" button.
    2. Ensure that you have the 3.0 gm 2g firmware saved somewhere you can easily find it on your computer. Desktop for instance.
    3. If you're on a PC shift+click if on Mac hit alt/option+click and it should bring up a browser where you can find and select your 3.0 firmware file.
    4. In theory if your 2.2.1 phone is working unlocked and activated/you can cruise through the homescreen and everything then the update should work just fine and you won't need to do anything else.

In your first post you said you thought maybe you should restore DO NOT RESTORE if you're on unlocked/activated 2g. The ONLY restore you can do if you want a fresh install is for 2.2.1. Backup your iPhone, make sure your contacts are on your computer somewhere and do a fresh install of 2.2.1. You may need to unlock again with quickpwn which is no big deal. Let me know if you have any other questions as I probably have the answers since i went through this exact same thing last night. Unfortunately :-(
    so i shift and click on restore or update? and at any point in the upgrade do i have to put the phone in dfu mode

struggling to get back to an earlier version now, uninstalled itunes 8.2 and installed the one before it, plugged my iphone in and it's said it can't read it because it needs version 8.2 of itunes. but if i update to 8.2 i just get the activate screen and i can't downgrade my iphone from there can i?
    Last edited by asherj123; 2009-06-10 at 02:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Shift+Click on Update I believe.
    If I helped you, then hit the "Thanks!" button please.

Quote Originally Posted by Soodeh View Post
    I can't find Cydia on app store