Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HELP on Downgrade from 3.0 to 2.21 1st Gen Iphone

Default HELP on Downgrade from 3.0 to 2.21 1st Gen Iphone
    Cant seem to downgrade from 3.0 to 2.21 on Iphone 1G

I have the correct FW for 2.21

Here is what I do

Plug phone in USB
    Launch ITUNES
    Put phone in DFU (Hold home and power 10sec, then hold home till ITUNES says in recovery
    Shift and hit Recovery
    Choose 2.21 FW

It tries then gets error 20 and wont continue

Tried 6 times already this morning, no luck
    Anybody have a solution, please help

Thanks all

BTW on Itunes 8.2 if that makes a difference

Thanks
    ------------------------------

iPhone 4
    4.1 Firmware

yes you need to downgrade itunes to 8.1 (you can search online for old copy). Follow the same procedure you did but with itunes 8.1

good luck

Okay then do I just go into Control Panel in Windows, Uninstall 8.2 then reinstall 8.1 what happens to my Itunes library will I loose it and all the APPS in the APPS PArt

Thanks

Okay then do I just go into Control Panel in Windows, Uninstall 8.2 then reinstall 8.1 what happens to my Itunes library will I loose it and all the APPS in the APPS PArt

Thanks
    Last edited by dallasnights; 2009-06-09 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------

iPhone 4
    4.1 Firmware

well its not that you will lose everything it's just that when you downgrade iTunes and you run it, iTunes wont start because theres an error saying iTunes library was created with an Newer version of iTunes. so here's how you trick iTunes to launch. before you uninstall your iTunes you go to my documents and go to MY MUSIC and go to the iTunes folder. Open it and find the iTunes Library file(IN THOSE EXACT WORDS) right click it and cut it and paste it to your desktop. once you paste it to your desktop you can uninstall iTunes and reinstall the older version of iTunes which would be 7.2 0r 8.1. Make sure to leave the iTunes Library file on your desktop alone. once iTunes is installed, just open up iTunes and do your work to restore to 2.2.1. after and if you successfully downgraded to 2.2.1 and jailbroken your phone. uninstall iTunes and reinstall the newer version of iTunes which is obviously the 8.2. once you reinstall iTunes go back to MY MUSIC and into the iTunes folder and drag the iTunes Library file from your desktop back into your iTunes folder. if it says it exist already do you want to overwrite it,SAY YES. once you do that you can launch iTunes and all your apps and music will be back. Hope this will help you. Enjoy your day and have a good hacking.
    Last edited by iprmodel; 2009-06-21 at 06:55 PM.

I downgraded my iPhone from 3.0 to 2.2.1 with iTunes on 8.2. First I used PawnageTool to create the custom 2.2.1 firmware. Then I used PawnageTool to put the iPhone in DFU mode. Then I went to iTunes, let it discover it in DFU mode, then I clicked option/alt (iMac), went to the custom 2.2.1 I just created and let it restore. It changed it to 2.2.1, but it didn't change the firmware.

Anyone have a good link to an iTunes 8.1 download for Mac?

I can't find iTunes 8.1 for Mac anywhere...not even on XTorrent. How am I suppose to downgrade my 2G phone from 3.0 to 2.2.1 with out it? Please help!

Never Mind. I think I found a good torrent.

Quote Originally Posted by enkur View Post
    yes you need to downgrade itunes to 8.1 (you can search online for old copy). Follow the same procedure you did but with itunes 8.1

good luck
    Is it 8.1 or 8.1.1? 8.1.1 is not working and I can not find 8.1 for a mac anywhere. I keep getting the same error 20. I am trying to prep this phone for my dad and the 3.0 is buggy so I really don't want to give it to him like this. If anyone can help me soon that would be great since I am going to get the phone activated today at 4 pm PST and then will no longer have access to the phone.

Hey everyone, Thanks for all your help!

Has anyone actually done this? I mean I hear a lot of talk about it but no one has ever said that they have indeed downgraded from the apple release version of 3.0 to 2.2. I have tried it now on 4 computers using 3 different methods outlined in 3 different forums and one of the computers was actually a PC. Still will not work to save my life.
    Last edited by seandiego; 2009-06-22 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Winning a fight on the internet is like winning a medal in the Special Olympics.
    At the end of the day, you're still a retard.

Quote Originally Posted by seandiego View Post
    Anyone have a good link to an iTunes 8.1 download for Mac?

I can't find iTunes 8.1 for Mac anywhere...not even on XTorrent. How am I suppose to downgrade my 2G phone from 3.0 to 2.2.1 with out it? Please help!

Never Mind. I think I found a good torrent.

Is it 8.1 or 8.1.1? 8.1.1 is not working and I can not find 8.1 for a mac anywhere. I keep getting the same error 20. I am trying to prep this phone for my dad and the 3.0 is buggy so I really don't want to give it to him like this. If anyone can help me soon that would be great since I am going to get the phone activated today at 4 pm PST and then will no longer have access to the phone.

Hey everyone, Thanks for all your help!

Has anyone actually done this? I mean I hear a lot of talk about it but no one has ever said that they have indeed downgraded from the apple release version of 3.0 to 2.2. I have tried it now on 4 computers using 3 different methods outlined in 3 different forums and one of the computers was actually a PC. Still will not work to save my life.
    I have the same problem..Could anyone pls gimme a good link for itunes 8.1?

Well, I can say that i tried with iTunes 8.2 and 8.1.1 and no luck, I always get error 1600. This means that I'm not putting the phone in DFU mode correctly, but believe me when I tell you, it is in DFU mode!

I never had problems putting the phone in DFU, and know apparently I can't. I'm stuck with this crappy firmware that depletes my battery in 2 days without even using it!

If anyone has been successful in downgrading an iPhone 2g from 3.0 to 2.2.1, please let us know.

EDIT:

Got it, I've successfully downgraded my iPhone 2g 3.0 back to 2.2.1. Here's the process:
    (NOTE: If you do not have a backup file of your iPhone while it was still in 2.2.1, you will lose all your data! This happens because iTunes 8.1.0, which you will need in this process, will say that your firmware version is too old when trying to restore using a 3.0 backup file).

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

- Uninstall iTunes 8.2 and Apple Mobile Device Driver.

- REBOOT the computer! This is very important.

- Download and install iTunes 8.1.0.

- Download Winpwn 2.5 beta and also iPhone firmware 2.0.2 - iPhone1,1_2.0.2_5C1_Restore.ipsw

- Install Winpwn 2.5 beta and run it.

- Follow the instructions and let it create a custom 2.0.2 file.

- At this point, Winpwn will ask you if you have your phone plugged in to the computer and turned OFF. If you don't, do so.

- Then follow the instructions to put your phone in DFU mode. After that, Winpwn will start to do it's thing and you will notice that your phone will get a full white screen (I think this is called Jailbreak mode). At this point Winpwn will stop working. Close it.

- Now, having your iPhone with a white screen, start iTunes. It will recognize the iPhone in Recovery Mode. Shift + click the Restore button and select the 2.2.1 firmware file - iPhone1,1_2.2.1_5H11_Restore.ipsw

- Let it restore and when it is complete, you'll get an error 1013 or similar OR no error at all, iTunes will just say the iPhone was restored and is going to reboot.

- After rebooting, your iPhone will have that "Connect to iTunes" screen. Close iTunes. Download and run QuickPwn 2.2.5-2 .

- Follow the instruction to Activate/Unlock the phone and voilá, you're iPhone will be fine running 2.2.1 firmware.

Some say that this process does work with 3G versions as well, but I can't confirm it. I did this with a 2g phone and all went well, it's all I can say.
    Last edited by zahavi; 2009-06-26 at 07:02 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to zahavi For This Useful Post:

Nerologic (2009-06-29)

Quote Originally Posted by zahavi View Post
    Well, I can say that i tried with iTunes 8.2 and 8.1.1 and no luck, I always get error 1600. This means that I'm not putting the phone in DFU mode correctly, but believe me when I tell you, it is in DFU mode!

I never had problems putting the phone in DFU, and know apparently I can't. I'm stuck with this crappy firmware that depletes my battery in 2 days without even using it!

If anyone has been successful in downgrading an iPhone 2g from 3.0 to 2.2.1, please let us know.

EDIT:

Got it, I've successfully downgraded my iPhone 2g 3.0 back to 2.2.1. Here's the process:
    (NOTE: If you do not have a backup file of your iPhone while it was still in 2.2.1, you will lose all your data! This happens because iTunes 8.1.0, which you will need in this process, will say that your firmware version is too old when trying to restore using a 3.0 backup file).

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

- Uninstall iTunes 8.2 and Apple Mobile Device Driver.

- REBOOT the computer! This is very important.

- Download and install iTunes 8.1.0.

- Download Winpwn 2.5 beta and also iPhone firmware 2.0.2 - iPhone1,1_2.0.2_5C1_Restore.ipsw

- Install Winpwn 2.5 beta and run it.

- Follow the instructions and let it create a custom 2.0.2 file.

- At this point, Winpwn will ask you if you have your phone plugged in to the computer and turned OFF. If you don't, do so.

- Then follow the instructions to put your phone in DFU mode. After that, Winpwn will start to do it's thing and you will notice that your phone will get a full white screen (I think this is called Jailbreak mode). At this point Winpwn will stop working. Close it.

- Now, having your iPhone with a white screen, start iTunes. It will recognize the iPhone in Recovery Mode. Shift + click the Restore button and select the 2.2.1 firmware file - iPhone1,1_2.2.1_5H11_Restore.ipsw

- Let it restore and when it is complete, you'll get an error 1013 or similar OR no error at all, iTunes will just say the iPhone was restored and is going to reboot.

- After rebooting, your iPhone will have that "Connect to iTunes" screen. Close iTunes. Download and run QuickPwn 2.2.5-2 .

- Follow the instruction to Activate/Unlock the phone and voilá, you're iPhone will be fine running 2.2.1 firmware.

Some say that this process does work with 3G versions as well, but I can't confirm it. I did this with a 2g phone and all went well, it's all I can say.

YES YES YES YES

Thank you!!!

This is the only method that worked, i can finally have wifi back on my 2g....