Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: xGPS question

Default xGPS question
    Not sure if this should be located in this forum, If it's not supposed to be, I very much apologize.

I have an iphone 3g that I have JB'd since I'm between China and the us so often. Nonetheless, I dont have a dataplan w/ AT&T and hardly need it due to my type of work (Tibetan Tour Guide). That being said, I have installed xGPS on my iphone and have been super impressed w/ it here in the states. I have completely blocked out all data using the APN changer.

My question is this, I notice in xGPS there are multiple kinds of GPS modules on the iphone.

xGPS Module
    iPhone 3G Gps
    iGPSD
    iGPS360
    G-Fi GPS
    FAKE GPS

Im assuming that is asking me which module Id like to use... and Im assuming those are external modules? the iPhone 3G GPS module means that its just using the GPS signal in my iphone and NOT using the 3g. I have 3g deactivated, and even if i didnt, it wouldnt matter because the APN is incorrect. I just want to make sure I'm not using data. Ive checked on my account online and am good and the iphone says zero data is sent.

I realize this is a question of sheer ignorance so I suspect some of you will want to be a bit snarky.

The iPhone 3g GPS is assisted - as in it uses triangulation from cell phone towers to help pin point your location - but I don't know if it needs a data plan to do this or if a talk / text only plan will suffice.

Your big issue is that xGPS uses google maps to show you where you are, and these need to be downloaded on the fly using mobile internet data - so even if it can work out where you are it can't show you because you don't have the mobile internet in place to download the maps. In theory if you know where you go to generally you can download the maps over WIFI when you have it and xGPS will cache them to use when you are without internet.

The iPhone 3g GPS is assisted - as in it uses triangulation from cell phone towers to help pin point your location - but I don't know if it needs a data plan to do this or if a talk / text only plan will suffice.

Your big issue is that xGPS uses google maps to show you where you are, and these need to be downloaded on the fly using mobile internet data - so even if it can work out where you are it can't show you because you don't have the mobile internet in place to download the maps. In theory if you know where you go to generally you can download the maps over WIFI when you have it and xGPS will cache them to use when you are without internet.
    Last edited by Robcoffee; 2009-06-06 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    iPhone 5s 64gb iOS 7
    rMBP 15" 16gb 500gb
    @c0ff33a and @PhoneMainiac

you do realize that the 'assisted' part comes from the fact that its downloading the map as you move. The GPS unit in the iPhone is a fully functional unit. I have blocked ALL data going in and out of my phone (no text messages either) and the GPS unit still tracks where I am.

xGPS solves the tile problem by allowing you to manage your maps on your Mac, and then upload them to your phone... rather than constantly streaming the map or the change in directions. I used the xGPS unit this evening w/o having any data at all (FAKE APN, BLOCKED TEXT) and it works just fine. I've checked my at&t account and they detect no data being used.

My only question was about if the modules it talks about are external or internal software modules. Nonetheless, the GPS unit in the iPhone 3g is seriously impressive IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Arisian View Post
    you do realize that the 'assisted' part comes from the fact that its downloading the map as you move
    You don't really understand GPS do you?
    aGPS is 'assisted GPS which uses Triangulation with cell towers to get a 'rough' foix (the same way as the 2G gets location data) which is used to assist the fully functioning GPS unit to get it's initial fix. Without the assistance of the cell towers it would take a lot longer to get an initial fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Arisian View Post
    My only question was about if the modules it talks about are external or internal software modules. Nonetheless, the GPS unit in the iPhone 3g is seriously impressive IMHO.
    The 'modules' are external hardware GPS receivers used on the 2G iPhone which does not have built in GPS hardware. Except, of course, the 3G ' module' which is used to access the iPgone 3G's built in GPS.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

iChick (2009-06-06)