Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Re-Jailbreaking = Brick-age?!?!

Default Re-Jailbreaking = Brick-age?!?!
    Hey Guys.

My name is Jimmy. I recently bought a jailbroken iPhone 2g 8gigs and it was already jailbroken v. 2.1 and it was already unlocked. I wanted to upgrade to 2.2.1, but my friend said that if I do, I will brick my iPhone and lose all service. I am on AT&T.

I have a couple Questions:

1. If I do update (via shift+update in iTunes and then clicking on firmware) and jailbreak it, will I be able to use it again? (In other words jailbreak it again ...)

2. When jailbreaking (generally), does it unlock it for you afterwards everytime?

3. What would happen if I updated via iTunes WITHOUT holding down shift and allowing Apple to do it?

4. What are some ways I can brick my iPhone? (During the jailbreaking process etc.. e.g. how can I screw up? Not holding down home button for 15 seconds?)

Thank you very much. I love ModMyi. I am to be a committed member. If you could answer all the questions that'd be great. Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Wow, you can upgrade to 2.2.1 and you'll have no problems. No worries.
    It won't turn into a brick, lol
    Go here, it has everything you need.

I think your friend was getting confused. If you upgrade the 3G to 2.21 you can not software unlock but:
    1) Yours is a 2G which can always be unlocked and
    2) Assuming yours is an American phone then the SIM lock is to AT&T and as you are using AT&T you don't need to unlock anyway....

But apart from that he was spot on.

Upgrade to 2.21 in iTunes (with your AT&T SIM in, let it activate then jailbreak - you won't need to select activate or unlock (unless you want to use it on another carrier)

Have fun
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    I think your friend was getting confused. If you upgrade the 3G to 2.21 you can not software unlock but:
    1) Yours is a 2G which can always be unlocked and
    2) Assuming yours is an American phone then the SIM lock is to AT&T and as you are using AT&T you don't need to unlock anyway....

But apart from that he was spot on.

Upgrade to 2.21 in iTunes (with your AT&T SIM in, let it activate then jailbreak - you won't need to select activate or unlock (unless you want to use it on another carrier)

Have fun
    Thanks for all the helppp!!

One more thing, what do you mean by activate or unlock?

Shouldn't I benefit from it and unlock it instead of clicking activate because its already activated?

When I jailbreak it, do I leave sims inside?

Thank you!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Activate = bypass iTunes activation
    Unlock = ability to use other service provider SIM cards.

If you are on an AT&T iPhone plan then restore to 2.2.1 then plug into iTunes to activate and finally run Quickpwn 2.2-1 to jailbreak.

If you are NOT on an iPhone plan you will need to restore to 2.2.1, then Quickpwn to jailbreak AND unlock.

Either way you can have the SIM in or out... makes no difference.