Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: GPS w/o Data: Real or Fake?

Default GPS w/o Data: Real or Fake?
    ran across this article and I'd love to get some other opinions on it. Seems pretty legit to me. It's kinda funny because you WILL require at least ONE connection to a data network to calibrate this, according to this article.

Nonetheless, Id like to see what you all think:
    Übertank • View topic - Tip: Using the iPhone 3G without a cellular data plan

Thats not really anything new....all its saying is you can cache the maps.....because thats all you need the data for is downloading the maps.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Ok.. take this into consideration. When you turn on Maps.. it uses a data connection to download and update the map portion. When you drive it uses a continuous data stream to update the map to your current location. Without a data connection you would have a blue dot in the middle of a blank screen.

isnt there an app in cydia/installer that lets you load maps onto the ipod so that you dont have to stream them?

Yes, cant remember the name as I have no need for it....but I know there is one floating around.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Go into Cydia.. download xGPS. It has a maps download manager you can use to load them into your phone over wifi.