Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone 3G issues/solutions/pandemonium

Exclamation Iphone 3G issues/solutions/pandemonium
    Hey guys,

I've been reading a ton on the forums lately about 3G baseband downgrade issues and things of that nature associated w/ upgrading to 2.2.1. I do have a few questions that I have been unable to find direct answers to, which is often the case w/ this type of thing. Maybe you guys can help me out. Yes, I've searched the forums, but maybe I'm a little dense.

I live 11 months out of the year in China but have been in the USA for just about a year. I have a iPhone 2g JB'd that works wonderfully here and in China. (not a question, just info for all you wise guys out there )

I have a friend wanting to sell me a iPhone 3g for $250. The issue I have is that its upgraded all the way to 2.2.1 w/ the newest bootloader which makes it impossible to updated the baseband to allow different carriers to use it (I.e. ChinaMobile). Ill be in the states for another 2 months before I go back.

I need to get one sooner rather than later because my wife's phone broke and I don't want to buy any more Chinese crap phones and I certainly dont want to pay $200+ for AT&T's cheapest phone for the next 2 months. Im planning on giving her my old iPhone 2g and upgrading. I know I could get a crap phone here, but the point is longevity and usability, both in China and the USA since we are back and forth all the time and a reliable cell phone here and there is a real asset for us.

My questions are:

1. Im pretty sure $250 is a great deal for a 16gig iPhone 3g. Thoughts?
    2. I know I can JB the 3g, but there is no way of downgrading the baseband to use w/ ChinaMobile as of now. Is that a correct assumption?
    3. Will the iPhone 3g work w/ my current AT&T plan w/o data if i change the APN. (don't need a data package in america since we arent here that long)
    4. Has anyone tried the turbosim/simhack solutions? Any thoughts on those?
    5. The dev team is ,assumedly, working on a baseband hack for OS 3.0. Maybe there is my China solution?
    6. GPS. I won't have a reliable data plan in China, but I've been reading about the ability of the iPhone 3g GPS to work independent of the data plan using some different hacks. I apologize since this is a question of sheer ignorance. I can provide the link the article/hack I read about that states this. I'd really love to know if this is the case since I work for a Tibetan Travel agency and GPS would be more than nice.

Thanks guys,
    Arisian

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

1. Yes... amazing deal! I'll buy as many as you can find for that price!
    2. Unless the iPhone 3G has the 5.8 bootloader it cannot be downgraded. The only way to know this is to jailbreak it and run 3G Fuzzy Downgrader on it.
    3. If your current AT&T plan is not an iPhone plan then the phone must be unlocked for it to work.
    4. You will get different answers to this depending on who you talk to and what type of SIM adapter is used. I personally endorse Rebel SIM.
    5. Working on it yes. Time line for success... unknown.
    6. The GPS is actually Assisted GPS which works in conjunction with your data plan and cell phone tower triangulation. As far as I know you'll have to get a data plan for the GPS to work on the Maps App.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

Arisian (2009-06-02)

Thanks for your quick reply. Thats awesome news. So there is no way to check what bootloader the phone has w/o trying to downgrade it? Is that correct?

The phone im going to buy is 2.30.0 / 2.2.1/ and no clue on the bootloader.

give this link a look, its a very interesting article about using GPS w/o the aGPS components...
    Übertank • View topic - Tip: Using the iPhone 3G without a cellular data plan

would LOVE to know your thoughts on any of that. is the simhack you mentioned cheaper? do you have a link you could help me w/.
    Thanks again. I love direct answers from people who don't have to be aholes.
    Last edited by Arisian; 2009-06-02 at 10:37 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Unless your phone is jailbroken and you run the downgrade program there is absolutely no way to know what bootloader you have. As far as your link check cpjr and my responses in your other thread.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

Arisian (2009-06-03)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arisian View Post
    So there is no way to check what bootloader the phone has w/o trying to downgrade it? Is that correct?

If you have the serial number, you can check it here:

Klantenservice: Serienummers

iPhones with a manufacture date after August 2008 came from the factory with a 5.09 bootloader.