Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Okay, I need some help.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Okay, I need some help.
    I plan on buying this iphone 3G->> New Apple Iphone 16GB 3G Locked to Rogers
    Now, the seller doesn't know the firmware (prolly 2.2.1 if it's BNIB) so I'm not sure that I can unlock it. It already states that it's locked to Rogers so that's no problem, I hope. I've been googling a few things but am unable to get solid answers. I already have a Rogers plan, and I don't plan on using data. By jailbreaking and using Boss Prefs to disable data, will that suffice for avoiding data charges? I've spoken to friend's with 3G's and they suggest that I should unlock it just to be safe.
    To break it down,
    Do I need a new SIM card to work with the 3G?
    If I'm under Rogers and the phone is locked to Rogers, is it fine to just jailbreak and use Boss Prefs to avoid data (in other words, can I just pop in my GSM sim and it'll act as a regular phone)?
    If it's BNIB, that means it's unactivated right? (I'd call and ask the seller, but it's late).
    Is the tutorial from this link (Activate Iphone 3G - TechieChips) credible?
    Sorry if this is a little much. I've done a lot of research, but thought I'd consent you guys before spending money.

Sounds like you should be fine.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks for the quick response. So I don't need to unlock it to use my non-3G sim?

No, if the iphone is Rogers and the sim is Rogers your fine.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

nickname0695 (2009-06-02)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks for clarifying things. I just got a little scared when I saw threads on other forums of people mentioning a new sim for the iphone to recognize. Appreciate it!