Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 2.2.1 can be unlocked???

My iPhone is a Part of Me vietkool's Avatar
    Thanks

Default 2.2.1 can be unlocked???
    Hi,

I was browsing on net and I saw some ad state that the version 2.2.1 can be soft(ware) unlocked no turbo SIM adapter needed. is it true or scam?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

It's more of a question of baseband, not firmware. The iPhone 3G gets a baseband update to 2.30 when you update the firmware to 2.2.1. If this device was manufactured around or before Sept 2008 it has an exploit that can be used to downgrade the baseband to 2.28 which can be unlocked with yellowsn0w. If your device was manufactured after this date you're stuck and cannot unlock without a SIM chip. The way you can test is by jailbreaking and downloading 3G Fuzzy Baseband Downgrader which will tell you immediately if you can downgrade.

If you have a first generation iPhone it can be unlocked no matter what b/c the baseband does not get upgraded from 4.05.

Thanks

I have 2.28 base band on my 3G now is it safe to upgrade to 2.2.1 and unlock again with Pwn and yellowsnow?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Not safe... as states above you will upgrade your baseband to 2.30 which is NOT unlockable. The only way you can upgrade is to download or build a custom 2.2.1 IPSW with pwnage tool and then restore to that.

Thanks

thanks buddy, where do I download the 2.2.1 custom so when I upgrade, the baseband will not update to 2.30? I have found this site here but not really sure the 2.2.2_5H11 is the correct one

http://www.coderetard.com/2009/02/03...upgrade-guide/

please advise
    Last edited by vietkool; 2009-05-27 at 10:53 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

how do i find out my boot loader and how can i get 5.8 on my phone because ther is a way to do it with no turbo sim. look and please help?!?!?
    iClarified - iPhone - How to Downgrade Your iPhone 3G 2.30 (2.2.1) Baseband for Unlock