Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: QuickPwn failed - iPhone 3G 2.2.1

Default QuickPwn failed - iPhone 3G 2.2.1
    Wanted to jailbreak my 2.2.1 iPhone 3G. First time. Don't care about unlocking, just wanted to jailbreak.

Downloaded and ran the latest QuickPwn on a Mac. Connected iPhone. Detected the phone and found the firmware no problem. Built the new firmware no problem. QuickPwn asked to power off the phone, did that. Then asked to put in DFU mode - I followed the instructions and let go of the power button when asked, holding the Home button as asked. Firmware seemed to be downloaded to the phone just fine. This is where things went wrong:

Got a big dialog that said it did not complete successfully (I can't remember the exact message). It asked if I wanted to try again. I clicked OK.

At this point, iTunes ran automatically and detected the phone in DFU mode and said it needed to be restored. I quit iTunes, fearing it would interfere with the process.

QuickPwn then said "ihaz pwn" or something like that with the kitten, which looked like a success screen, but I was staring at a white screen on the iPhone. It said it was rebooting the phone but it never completed - I only saw a white screen, and waited a while. It did not reboot. I was quite worried.

All I could do was run iTunes and completely restore the phone. It took hours to restore all the music, photos, and apps. I lost all the app ordering on the screens, but luckily, everything got restored.

So, my first jailbreak experience was not a good one. I'm not sure I want to try this again - I followed all directions explicitly.

The only possible quirk I can think of is I am running an older iMac which does not have USB2.0. However, I can sync just fine with it, and never had any issues.

Anyone experience this? Suggestions?

Thanks

Did it finished building the custom ipsw? If so then you could have installed the custom ipsw through itunes while on the white screen. The white screen is another mode of DFU.

Quote Originally Posted by Zwayne View Post
    Did it finished building the custom ipsw? If so then you could have installed the custom ipsw through itunes while on the white screen. The white screen is another mode of DFU.
    Thanks Zwayne. I didn't know that. Yes, it did finish the custom ipsw creation. I got the "ihaz success" screen on the Mac. It just didn't seem to boot; stuck in the white screen. And iTunes popped up which freaked me out. It could be I just didn't wait long enough?

Also, I saw on a different forum that someone else had the same issue with USB1.1-based computer (stuck on the white screen). He tried on a USB2.0 machine and worked fine. I don't have one...

Anyone else jailbreak using QuickPwn and USB1.1 on a Mac?

First off, your using pwnage NOT quickpwn if your building a custom FW.

Second, after the custom build is done THEN you have to go to itunes and hit "shift-restore" and CHOOSE the custom FW you just built and then restore your phone to it.

When pwange finishes, its only done building the file......it doesnt load anything to your phone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fmalloy View Post
    Thanks Zwayne. I didn't know that. Yes, it did finish the custom ipsw creation. I got the "ihaz success" screen on the Mac. It just didn't seem to boot; stuck in the white screen. And iTunes popped up which freaked me out. It could be I just didn't wait long enough?

Also, I saw on a different forum that someone else had the same issue with USB1.1-based computer (stuck on the white screen). He tried on a USB2.0 machine and worked fine. I don't have one...

Anyone else jailbreak using QuickPwn and USB1.1 on a Mac?
    ^^^When itunes poped up and the phone was on the white screen...then you would do as cpjr said shify + option and chose the custom ipsw an let it install.

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    First off, your using pwnage NOT quickpwn if your building a custom FW.

Second, after the custom build is done THEN you have to go to itunes and hit "shift-restore" and CHOOSE the custom FW you just built and then restore your phone to it.

When pwange finishes, its only done building the file......it doesnt load anything to your phone.
    Hi cpjr,

No, I was definitely using QuickPwn. It said it was building some kind of software and was loading it on the phone. It does it in a RAM disk, apparently.

I wanted the quickest and easiest way to jailbreak. I don't care about unlocking, and I didn't want to have to restore all my music, apps, photos, etc.

I would have left QuickPwn running and waited longer while the white screen was on, but then iTunes popped up and I thought it would interfere with the jailbreak...

Thanks

Use Pwnagetool and build a custom ipsw. Then it will ask you to put the phone in DFU mode, and once it gose into that mode close the pwnagetool and open itunes, if it dose open automatically. Then shfit + option restore pick the custom ipsw you build an let it install.
    Last edited by Zwayne; 2009-05-25 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zwayne View Post
    Use Pwnagetool and build a custom ipsw. Then it will ask you to put the phone in DFU mode, and once it gose into that mode close the pwnagetool and open itunes, if it dose open automatically. Then shfit + option restore pick the custom ipsw you build an let it install.
    Thanks Zwayne.

Will I have to re-install all my apps, music, and photos using a sync since it's a restore? I was hoping to just replace the firmware leaving my other data intact...

Ok, it probably just fudged up.

The best way to quickpwn is to do a clean restore in itunes first, DONT sync anything to the phone and THEN quickpwn.

Afterwards, you can resync everything.

If quickpwn freezes or fudges like that alot of times it has to do with something loaded on the phone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fmalloy View Post
    Thanks Zwayne.

Will I have to re-install all my apps, music, and photos using a sync since it's a restore? I was hoping to just replace the firmware leaving my other data intact...
    ^^^Yes you will have to re-install everything.