Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: sM3e's BACK!! Jailbroken 3.0 b4 - Jailbroken 3.0 b5 without losing a thing.

Talking sM3e's BACK!! Jailbroken 3.0 b4 - Jailbroken 3.0 b5 without losing a thing.
    Im fedup of restoring my iPhone and having to re-install everyting! Losing all my save files and spending hours re-syncing music! Its so so tedious!!
    WHAT IF I SAID YOU DONT HAVE TO ANYMORE? WHAT IF I SAID IM GONNA SHOW YOU HOW?

This is a method I developed back when the 2.1 upgrade came out. It has come on a fair way since then but it works 100% and here is how. (Proof of the testing and method details are available at the bottom of this post)

If you used this guide when it was for the "Sloppy Jailbreak" for Beta 5 using QuickPWN for Beta 4 you'll be pleased to know you can use this guide again to update to the latest Kernel Patch (This is highly recommended for iPhone stability) Just use iTunes to Update back to unPWNed 3.0 B5 and follow the instructions again)

DO NOT TRY THIS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!

This guide is for Firmware 3.0 Beta 5 (Upgrading from Beta4)
    Tested and working on multiple iPhone 3G's Including my own! No failures to date JUST FOLLOW THE GUIDE TO THE LETTER
    You will need
    * A Dev Account!
    * iTunes 8.2
    * Beta 5 ipsw file
    * QuickPWN for Beta 5 (Windows only im afraid) Available here (Thanks to StealthBravo, HoZy and lilstevie)
    * SSH Access to your iPhone

1.) Sync your iPhone with iTunes and make any kind of backup you wish (just in-case you get it all wrong) I like to write a list of installed apps just so I know what to put back.

2.) I upgraded on a Mac so Option+Upgrade (Alt+Upgrade if your on a hackintosh or third party keyboard) was pressed, Windows is Shift+Upgrade (if you didnt know that please leave now as it gets quite technical) select the Beta 5 IPSW and let it do its thing. (If it fails first try just replug and try again, on mine it ignored me first try)

3.) After successful upgrade you will see it all still works just no JB Apps show and any Hacked IPA's (if your that sort of person) wont run

4.) Use QuickPWN for Beta 5 on your iPhone and use the Beta 5 ipsw when it asks. Unclick Activate when it gives you the option.

5.) Use ICY to install openSSH and core utilities

6.) SSH into your iPhones root to replace SYMLINKS as follows

* Copy entire /Applications folder to your machine then delete it from your iPhone
    * Browse to /private/var/stash/Applications.pwn and put the entire contents of the Applications folder you have on your machine inside. Click yes to all to overwrite.
    * Go back to root and create a SYMLINK called Applications to /private/var/stash/Apllications.pwn

Do exactly the same for the following

* /System/Library/Fonts --- private/var/stash/Fonts.pwn
    * /usr/include --- private/var/stash/include.pwn
    * /usr/libexec --- private/var/stash/libexec.pwn
    * /Library/Ringtones --- private/var/stash/Ringtones.pwn
    * /usr/share --- private/var/stash/share.pwn
    * /usr/bin --- private/var/stash/usrbin.pwn
    * /Library/Wallpaper --- private/var/stash/Wallpaper.pwn

Now go to var/stash/Applications.pwn and give the entire folder and its contents 755 perms

7.) Respring then Hard Reboot

8.) SSH into your device and replace the Installd file if you need to and set perm to 755 (People know if they need to do this)5
    9.) Re-QuickPWN using QuickPWN for beta 5 and the Beta 5 ipsw (Remember to uncheck Activate!)

SUCCESS

You now have Jailbroken Beta 5 with No loss of Contacts, Music, Videos, Notes, Settings, IPA's etc etc!

The unusual thing you will notice is that in ICY under installed apps there is nothing listed, if you SSH in and view you Applications.pwn list you can re-install them pretty quickly and they will then show up.

Recommended installations for a better Beta 5 Life are

Core Utilities
    Reinstall Icy to update it to latest vers
    Cydia (Will not work so poof it but installs lots of handy frameworks)
    OpenSSH (Delete saurik from your sources and add it again to get lastest vers)
    OpenSSL (Latest version will show when you do above ∧ )
    Grep
    Find Utilities
    Tape Archive

ENJOY!!

[B]Initial project notes (For those that are interested)[/B]

I'm going to try my tried and tested method of older firmware upgrades using QuickPWN and see how it goes.
    I am writing this a fair few stages in so I knew it was worth it. Hope this helps some people!

Enjoy!!

So far so good!!

I will edit this as I progress. You can also follow me on www.twitter.com/smeeshum

1.) Backed everything up incase it all goes horribly wrong!

2.) Upgraded my Jailbroken 3G B4 to B5 using iTunes 8.2 on my mac by holding ALT and Clicking upgade then pointing to the new ipsw.
    (Took 2 attempts as first time it didnt even attempt it)

3.) SUCCESS BETA 5 is now running on my iPhone 3G!!

4.) QuickPWNed using QuickPWN for beta 4 and beta 4 ipsw on my Windows 7 Machine

4.) SUCCESS BETA 5 Jailbroken on my iPhone 3G!!

5.) Couple of naughty IPA's not working, used ICY to install SSH and updated Installd file.

6.) SUCCESS Modified IPA's working on BETA 5 Jailbroken on my iPhone 3G!!

7.) MAJOR ISSUE FOUND!! Symlinks are all scrambled! Less that 20MB free on partition 1 on my iphone! Whoops! Fix to come!

8.) Fixed Symlink with Applications in root by moving contents of Applications folder to private/var/stash/Applications.pwn and deleted original Applications folder and replaced with new Symlink.

9.) had to give Applications.pwn folder contents 777 Perms as native apps just jumped back to Springboard.

NOW HAVE ALL MY OLD JAILBRAKE APPS BACK AND THEY WORK!!

10.) Still need to free space so am now doing Fonts, Include, libexec etc (Could take some time!)

11.) Applications, Fonts, Ringtones and Wallpaper Symlinks done and the iPhone is still working!!

12.) include, libexec and share are done, iPhones still working! And now there is 163MB free on partition 1 much more like it!

13.) usr/bin to usrbin.pwn is done thanks to "lightmaster"

14.) Free space on partition 1 = 184MB :-) Happy customer!

15.) Trying the Respring test = PASS!!

16.) Trying the Hard Reboot test = PASS!! Boots really quick too!

17.) Test Native Apps = PASS!!

18.) Test Jailbreak Apps = PASS!!

19.) Test Legit IPA's = PASS!!

20.) Test ERHUM!! Dodgy IPA's (I know! Sorry!) PASS!!

All looks good here!!

FOUND A PROBLEM!!

When trying to install anything in ICY you get a (DPKG returned error #2) and when you view console log you get

setuid: Operation not permitted
    setgid: Operation not permitted
    dpkg: requested operation requires superuser privilege

Now how am I gonna fix this??

I have an idea, Im gonna re quickPWN it and see if it tidys up ICY seens now Ive fixxed all the Symlinks the upgrade broke! Keep watching

Well the re-QuickPWN went without a hitch just gotta SSH in and see what its done before I test anything.
    Looks good! Didnt do what I feared it would do and re-mess up the Symlinks so onto stage 2 of my re-QuicPWN test! Still 185MB Free

FIXED!! NOW WORKING 100% simple how to guide on the way!

YOU CAN SEE TEST POSTS FOR THE NEW JAILBREAK RELEASED ON 8TH MAY 2009 ON PAGE 2 OF THIS THREAD
    Last edited by smeeshum; 2009-05-09 at 08:06 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smeeshum For This Useful Post:

mr.sparky (2009-05-08), wgm214 (2009-06-21)

Quote Originally Posted by smeeshum View Post
    Anyone know where usrbin.pwn usually points too?
    "/var/stash/userbin.pwn" points to "/usr/bin".

Have you noticed any major adverse side effects of this? From what you've posted so far, it seems to be working for the most part.

Good Luck.
    "In computer networking, a Media Access Control address (MAC address) is a unique identifier assigned to most network adapters or network interface cards (NICs) by the manufacturer for identification, and used in the Media Access Control protocol sub-layer." (1)

"The Macintosh, or Mac, is a series of several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc." (2)

Im back! Fed, footballed and showered and ready to continue my work on Beta 5.
    Thanks lightmaster, userbin.pwn is the only one that doesnt make sense. Im copying them over now.
    Stability issues? None at all so far! Still working now even after a test reboot. No issues I have noted though.

Keep watching the post above though.

Im a happy happy customer.

So does this mean that QuickPWN Beta 5 is gonna be out within a few hours????!?!?!?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by BeSweeet View Post
    So does this mean that QuickPWN Beta 5 is gonna be out within a few hours????!?!?!?!?!?
    No! What ever gave you that idea? Did you even read the post?

About the first half, then I lost interest since I didn't have beta 4 installed.

You can use the Beta 4 Jailbreak on Beta 5 Just follow only step 4 and youll be fine

So, the QuickPWN Beta 4 jailbreak app for Windows will still jailbreak beta 5??

Yes thats what I'm saying. I have Beta 5 Jailbroken and working and its awesome! Best Beta so far!

Awesome! Giving it a go now!!!!!! I've been waiting all day for some sort of jailbreak verification...

EDIT: Nevermind... I tried loading the beta 5 firmware into QuickPWN and it wouldn't work. Why do I need to select the beta 4 firmware instead of beta 5 if I already have beta 5 on my iPhone?
    Last edited by gggguest; 2009-05-08 at 02:17 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life mr.sparky's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow i love it no one flipin reads.....

Great find great work
    http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o260/cpjr1979/dc5274181cd827585d4bb6d16bedb210cop.png
    Steroids are yummy

Yeah, I know... My bad.

So does the really work?

Quote Originally Posted by smeeshum View Post
    Yes thats what I'm saying. I have Beta 5 Jailbroken and working and its awesome! Best Beta so far!
    It sounds like Apple removed a lot of things in Beta 5 (MMS, Tethering, etc). Is it really worth upgrading to 5? b3 was working great for me. Now I'm on b4, and I notice that I can't seem to hold my wifi connection. It keeps dropping it and going to edge...(also dropps 3G)...very annoying.

Bottom line, is it really worth going to b5?

Edti: Broomhead... Play nice your not immune from infractions

LESSON #1: if you are referring to a mac in any case it is both completely incorrect and rude towards the mac to refer to the "option" key as "alt".

next i would like to inform you of the process of jailbreaking an iphone firmware.

it is not as simple as plug and go. here is how quickpwn works: the program includes only the ramdisk patches and the custom packages (ie. cydia, installer). when quickpwn runs on the phone it patches the ramdisk and installs cydia (it also unlocks the 2g). now here is where it gets technical ... to allow the patches to work on the new updated firmware you need to decrypt the three files and in order to do that you need the key/iv. once you get those you put together your new info.plist andput that in the bundle for that device. now add "that" into quickpwn and it will run and jailbreak your device.

the bottom line is that you cant just run an old quickpwn on your phone with a completely new firmware. it will not work.... knowing such information this also proves that you have not tested this at all and you are just waiting for someone to confirm or deny that it works before you try it.

Just a note to anyone who is considering trying this, please dont waste your time. it will not succeed and you will just be disappointed. a REAL jailbreak is going to be coming very soon (maybe the next few days) so just be patient
    Last edited by Broomhead; 2009-05-08 at 01:59 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to JStraitiff For This Useful Post:

lightmaster (2009-05-08)

Quote Originally Posted by him121213 View Post
    LESSON #1: if you are referring to a mac in any case it is both completely incorrect and rude towards the mac to refer to the "option" key as "alt".

next i would like to inform you of the process of jailbreaking an iphone firmware.

it is not as simple as plug and go. here is how quickpwn works: the program includes only the ramdisk patches and the custom packages (ie. cydia, installer). when quickpwn runs on the phone it patches the ramdisk and installs cydia (it also unlocks the 2g). now here is where it gets technical ... to allow the patches to work on the new updated firmware you need to decrypt the three files and in order to do that you need the key/iv. once you get those you put together your new info.plist andput that in the bundle for that device. now add "that" into quickpwn and it will run and jailbreak your device.

the bottom line is that you cant just run an old quickpwn on your phone with a completely new firmware. it will not work.... knowing such information this also proves that you have not tested this at all and you are just waiting for someone to confirm or deny that it works before you try it.

Just a note to anyone who is considering trying this, please dont waste your time. it will not succeed and you will just be disappointed. a REAL jailbreak is going to be coming very soon (maybe the next few days) so just be patient
    Also, it replaces you the beta 5 kernel with the beta 4 kernel, which is a BIG no-no. You effectively create a ticking time bomb out of your firmware: at any moment, the firmware can pass a command to the kernel that the kernel doesn't understand or one of a hundred different things can happen that can cause a kernel panic and/or a boot loop.

Think of it like going to Russia and paying for a translator that know only about a hundred Russian words. Sure you might be fine for a little while, but inevitably, you will get to a point where your translator has no idea what the locals are saying and you end up pissing someone off and getting killed.

Another thing, giving your jailbroken apps full permissions (permissions 777) is generally a very bad idea. What permission 777 means is that anything and everything on your iPhone or on your network can read, write, delete, and f*ck up everything within those directory. If you have to set the /Applications folder to permissions 777, then you have messed up something else even worse.

Basically, almost every single thing in this guide should be screaming "Stop! Stop! Very, very bad idea!" to you and if its not, then you don't know enough about the iPhone or Unix to be even considering trying to create your own way of jailbreaking the iPhone.

I very, very, very, very, VERY strongly recommend that no one else try this method of attempting to jailbreak your iPhone/iTouch. Even if you don't understand a thing about Unix or you've never even heard the word before, you should realize that this guide is a bad idea when you have to select the beta 4 firmware to jailbreak the beta 5 firmware.
    Last edited by Broomhead; 2009-05-08 at 01:59 PM.
    "In computer networking, a Media Access Control address (MAC address) is a unique identifier assigned to most network adapters or network interface cards (NICs) by the manufacturer for identification, and used in the Media Access Control protocol sub-layer." (1)

"The Macintosh, or Mac, is a series of several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc." (2)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to lightmaster For This Useful Post:

JStraitiff (2009-05-08)

Cheers Him!

Works here though and has been absolutely fine. And I can use this method to update to QuickPWN beta 5 if and when it comes out.

There's just no pleasing somepeople is there?

And less of the name calling please, this is a respectable forum after all.

Did you perhaps want some screen shots to prove I have beta 5 jailbroken?
    Last edited by smeeshum; 2009-05-08 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

^^^ i dont really care atm

i am more interested in my JB which is real and does not completely kill my iphone.

thats okay tho, this can be a learning experience for u. enjoy your paperweight

Thanks again Him, just to let you all know my "Paperweight" is running sweet! Much better than it ever did on Beta 4.

Now go pester someone else.
    Last edited by smeeshum; 2009-05-08 at 01:35 PM.

@ you know who...While we understand that it is human to get angry we would like to keep this site as an open place for discussion. Not a place for hatred and insults. We invite you to continue using the site -- just please be a bit more courteous in the future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast