Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 1.02 to 1.1.4 upgrade instructions

Default 1.02 to 1.1.4 upgrade instructions
    My carrier is a TMobile. My firmware is 1.0.2. I did the jailbreak and unlocking back in September of 2007. I would like to update to 1.1.4, but can't find the specific instructions for my iphone configuration. Is the Ziphone application all I need, or do 1.0.2 iphones (being older) need to be aware of additional issues to do the upgrade correctly?

i did the 1.02 to 1.14
    upgrade through itunes then run the ziphone 2.5

do it all button will activate, unlock and jailbreak for you
    our life our world mapped out in scars,carved in wrist and back of arm

3. The Following User Says Thank You to alan_g For This Useful Post:

gordo019 (2008-03-10)

Thanx. I will send in my donation too.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

i was reading on i.unlock.no about upgrading an unlocked 1.0.2 phone. depending on how you unlocked back then, you may have to virginize your phone first. perhaps just double check to make sure you're all set before running ziphone

i did,nt virginise mine
    went straight from 1.02 to 1.14, with no problems at all

i did not virginise my unlocked 1,02 before upgrading to 1.14, and everything went well
    Last edited by alan_g; 2008-03-10 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

right, depending on the method of your previous unlock. i just happened to stumble upon this yesterday when i was browsing the web, so just in case he used one of the older methods...

(from i.unlock.no)
    "My phone is already unlocked - can i update to 1.1.1?
    Not straight away! The old unlock software's (before anySIM 1.1, except iphonesimfree.com's software) had serious flaws, making the phone unusable in later firmware. Before you update your phone you will need to repair your phone by "virginizing" the phone (baseband) firmware"

This the problem, my unlock application has no version number. I used the recommended steps that Modmyifone recommended back in September of 2007. How does one know if they need to virginize their phone or deal with this baseband issue? Or is it necessary to virginize the iphone no matter what, to be on the safe side? I wish there was specific update instructions on this site to walk iphone updaters, especially iphones users with older firmware versions (pre-1.1.1).

i had someone unlock mine when i first got the phone, i dont know what method they used to do it.
    i just went for the upgrade with no virginising

That's great Alan. You were lucky and it all worked. But I don't want to roll the dice and botch/brick my update to 1.1.4, because if I botch it, I will have potential headaches, which I would like to avoid. I am hoping someone knows if ziphone 2.5 really can handle all 1.02 phone configurations or if there is a checklist of things to check or do before updating with the ziphone app.

I also notice that the ziPhone app has an advance tab with has options to adjust/erase baseband settings. If my baseband configuration is obsolete, can I use these advanced options?

My iphone is 1.0.2 OTB. I should be at bootloader 3.9? and therefore, need to virginize my iphone? If someone could confirm this it would be great. I have seen alot of posts of iphones with firmware versions lower than 1.1.1 not successfully updating with ziphone 2.5 when updating to firmware 1.1.4.

Also.. my modem firmware: 03.14.08_G
    Last edited by gordo019; 2008-03-11 at 05:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Default botched up upgrade
    i have a unlocked 1.0.2 phone which i tried to upgrade using ziphone.
    i thought the refurbish button would revirginize for me. I have tired to restore it many ways and nothing works at all. i have tried using the revirginzing tool from iunlock.no and it i get main execution script failed.
    It seems i cannot write to the baseband using any tool for some reason.
    i can only seem to restore to 1.02 and then i can use wifi but not the phone part.
    right now my imei is blank even though i can get it back with the ziphone refurbish tool but i dont want to keep trying the wrong things.

Any ideas where to start to get this phone working again.
    im sindhiguy1 on aol and [email protected] on msn
    i am desperate for help. thank you

Luckily, I held off using ziphone 2.5 on my 1.0.2 iphone and my phone still works. A number of 1.0.2 iphone users have contacted me today and told me not to use ziphone. There are number of necessary steps, that must be completed before ziphone can complete the firmware upgrade process. At this time, I don't know what those necessary steps are.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i have a 1.0.2 (sorry used to have)aso unlocked by someone i don't know.
    I used the virginizer, restored to 1.1.4 then used Ziphone 2.5 do it all.
    took 5 mins to restore an 3 mins to activate, jailbreak and unlock.
    I am in the middle of Africa with a african sim card, worksfine....

Just download iDemocracy and make sure you have SSH and BSD Subsytem installed then open iDemocracy search in the tabs for Virginize (I haven't used it in a while...windows version that is.. I think virginize is in the 1.0.2 tab) then use that...It will work because youre on 1.0.2 after iDemocracy has completed that you then RESTORE to 1.1.4 and use ZiPhone and select DO IT ALL and in 5 mins itll all be done unlocked,activated and jailbroken
    To check out my blog just type bilsta57 into the google search bar

It seems that I have two options to Virginize my 1.0.2 iphone:

1. Use IDemocracy (Mac version?) as described above.
    2. Install The Virginizer by Fredrik on my iphone and run that app directly from my iphone.
    Would either of these two Virginizer options be preferred?

I decided to used the The Virginizer by Fredrik. Restored to 1.1.4, and the Ziphone 2.5 process went fine. When I connect to iTunes (7.6.1), I have the option to "Setup as a new iPhone" or "Restore from my old iphone backup". Is there any reason why I shouldn't select restore from my old backup? This stuff is just related to my synching preferences correct?
    Last edited by gordo019; 2008-03-11 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

you never should restore your backup as this is a jailbroken phone at a different firmware and some old files may not be compatible. whenever you restore, rejailbreak and reactivate, you should always set up your phone as a new phone. i hope you synced your contact and calendar prior to restoring

Got this information too late. And with all the research and reading I did, nobody mentioned this important final step. All my installed 3rd party apps crash when launched. I guess I need to start over again.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordo019 View Post
    Got this information too late. And with all the research and reading I did, nobody mentioned this important final step. All my installed 3rd party apps crash when launched. I guess I need to start over again.
    well, that may not have been mentioned in this thread but has been mentioned just about anywhere else, including the guildes on upgrading, jailbreak, activating, unlocking, etc. now that you've already gone up to 1.1.4, jailbreaking again will take seconds

I used a Blacksocks blog guide which stated:

"Step 15) From iTunes, restore from your previous iPhone backup or create new iPhone identity"

My problems with the crashing 3rd party apps was solved by installing the BSD subsystem files with installer, then, I reinstalled my crashing apps and they are fine.

My only suggestion to 1.0.2 > 1.1.4 iphone updaters is don' t just run to ziphone and run it. Find a good upgrade tutorial and follow the suggested steps.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

hum. it's never really recommended to restore your backup. it's been problematic in the past. and once you jailbreak a phone and have installer installed, you're always supposed to/recommended to install bsd subsystem, openssh, and vterm

as for guides, i highly recommend the one here, iclarified.com or hackthatphone.com (my favorite)

I thinking upgrading for iphone users with newer firmware the process is probably close to a no brainer, but not for the older iphones. Thanx for your assistance.