Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3.0 - Where do you draw the line?

Default iPhone 3.0 - Where do you draw the line?
    There has been a lot of discussion in this forum and other forums about how some developers are charging for adding people in te dev list so people can try the betas.........

So - rather than just going with the flow, lets separate FACTS from personal opinion

Consider this:

Jailbreaking iPhones is ILLEGAL, according to Apple. Apple owns the iPhone so its a claim that they have a right of making. As much as I love jailbroken phones (they make the iPhones so much better), in Apple's eyes - it voids the warranty.
    see this:
    Apple Says iPhone Jailbreaking is Illegal | Electronic Frontier Foundation

SOFTWARE UNLOCKING the iPhone voids your warranty and is a breach of a contract with Apple and iPhone's official carrier.

BYPASSING ACTIVATION - BREACH OF CONTRACT. There are tons of posts here offering solutions to bypass the activation process of the Betas - these solutions are welcomed by everyone who is not willing to pay to be on the dev list....nothing wrong with that.

So - if we are able to discuss and look forward to developments in the fields of jailbreaking, unlocking and bypassing activation - why target developers who can get you a dev spot for $ and deem THAT as a HIGHLY illegal activity and call them bottom feeders???

The world of technology doesn't come in black or white - it comes in shades of grey.

And as for some developers charging $5-10 for a dev spot - there are a few who are just doing it to make a quick buck but there are others who are just trying to raise money to fund their application - pay for IT courses tuition, buying macs, buying CS4, softwares etc etc.

My personal example: Some people in the forums lash back at me, if they don't get a free spot - the truth of the matter is - I have given away more than 27 free spots in different forums so far.....I get about 60-70 emails a day asking for free spots (i follow about 10 forums) - you decide......Though I still have slots left - they aren't free.

So the lesson, let's not break the one rule we have for rules.....
    keep them the same for everyone

Not sure exactly where your going with this...

But I agree its stupid for someone to get angry for not getting a free slot. They arent owed anything. Period.

Also, however....just because Apple says that jailbreaking is illegal.....DOESNT make it illegal. They are not lawmakers.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

inshadesofgrey (2009-05-06)

The basic idea behind this post was to respond to a few comments in different forums who said that people selling dev spots are 'bottomfeeders' and should be ashamed of themselves for selling beta access.

and yea, the use of the word 'illegal' was meant with full-blown sarcasm

Last edited by inshadesofgrey; 2009-05-06 at 09:27 PM.

^haha, ok. Well then I agree. Ya'll payed for the the account and although the slots werent intended to be sold.....someone who is wanting a slot in order to install a beta (non-public release) copy of software has no right to get upset or think that a dev is doing anything worse then they are

Default lol
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    ^haha, ok. Well then I agree. Ya'll payed for the the account and although the slots werent intended to be sold.....someone who is wanting a slot in order to install a beta (non-public release) copy of software has no right to get upset or think that a dev is doing anything worse then they are
    Precisely - you have no idea how many times I have received emails cursing me with @#$@#$@ words because they didn't get a spot - and in different languages too!

Quote Originally Posted by inshadesofgrey View Post
    and in different languages too! :d
    ..lmao.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Tell them to go piss off and buy their own Dev account for $99 (or whatever it costs these days). Cheap and greedy bastards, lol. Although you have to consider the average age group trolling this forum is under 18 and do not have access to a credit card or paypal account to buy a slot even if they wanted to so I would assume they are acting out in frustration.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by inshadesofgrey View Post
    The basic idea behind this post was to respond to a few comments in different forums who said that people selling dev spots are 'bottomfeeders' and should be ashamed of themselves for selling beta access.

and yea, the use of the word 'illegal' was meant with full-blown sarcasm

Seriously. Become useful and then get on your soapbox.

Default -
    Quote Originally Posted by boxxa View Post
    Seriously. Become useful and then get on your soapbox.
    I am. and I did.