Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Introduction

Default Introduction
    Hi guys. I'm here to destroy your day. Hahah.

I am going to get myself an iPhone 3G pretty soon and I want to be able to do whatever I want on it. And by the looks of it, the OS 3.0 is going to be an advantage for me! But I'm pretty damn new to all of these custom firmware and jailbreaking and unlocking terms.

I'd just like to have an introduction to all of these and what am I getting myself into. Things like is jailbreaking or unlocking illegal? Is cydia the "leader in the pack of jailbreak apps". What exactly are we unlocking when we jailbreak? What are the chances of bricking your iPhone? What are the chances you will never be able to save your iPhone after bricking it anymore.

I'm not IT illiterate but I'm just lacking behind all this iPhone buzz I so want to catch up now. I really hope to learn more and be a part of this whole community helping out or to be helped by!

Looking forward to a reply!

Edit: Great, now I just found this page.
    http://modmyi.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Going to spend some time in there for now. =s

I've got a question. What is the purpose of downgrading baseband and what is a baseband?
    Last edited by JayBern; 2009-05-05 at 04:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

The baseband is the system that runs the "phone" part of the iPhone. That is the part of the system that requires unlocking in order to use it with other carriers. The advantage to downgrading your baseband is if you upgraded it to the newest baseband (2.30) which is not unlockable via software. If your iPhone 3G was manufactured before Sept 2008 it is downgradeable. If it was made after that date the only way to unlock is to use a piggy back sim. Google turbosim, rebelsim, geveysim.

That usually happens only when you purchase the phone from Apple itself or somewhere else right? In Singapore, Singtel is the sole telecom service provider that has the rights to distribute the phone. It doesn't make sense if Singtel sells an iPhone that needs to be unlocked right? Haha. That said I don't think I have to worry about baseband unlocking right?

Now from what I understand, the only reason why someone would want to jailbreak is so that they can use 3rd party apps. And 3rd party apps are applications that are not developed by Apple themselves but other people. Am I right to say that? Are there any other reason why anyone would want to jailbreak?

And from my first post, I still have this question.

"Things like is jailbreaking or unlocking illegal? Is cydia the "leader in the pack of jailbreak apps". What exactly are we unlocking when we jailbreak? What are the chances of bricking your iPhone? What are the chances you will never be able to save your iPhone after bricking it anymore."

Thanks for the reply!

Thanks

Read, re-read and then read some more. And then when you get your iPhone jump in head first and have fun.

BTW.....Welcome to MMi.

welcome to MMi
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/general...rminology.html

Things like is jailbreaking or unlocking illegal?
    no

Is cydia the "leader in the pack of jailbreak apps
    yes

What exactly are we unlocking when we jailbreak?
    root file access, to install 3rd party apps

What are the chances of bricking your iPhone?
    slim to none, even then it can be fixed

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

Welcome to MMi!

Awesome you guys. Thanks for the welcome! Thanks Broomhead, very happy to hear all the answers! Will do so Zwayne. Any articles or guides to recommend?

Now I'm just waiting for my friends or colleagues to be able to renew their service plan with Singtel as a carrier so I can get the iPhone at a cheaper rate. Getting it at retail price is a big bomb for me. Haha! Plus my plan can only be renewed next year which I can not wait any longer!

Hopefully sooooooon.

Thanks

^^^Yep....take a look here: iClarified - Tutorials - iPhone

Read this somewhere in the quickpwn folder I downloaded from quickpwn.com in some text file. Says "Warning: ..

* Functionality under virtualized environments is not guaranteed."

What do they mean by virtualized environments not guaranteed?

Now by jailbreaking, I would be able to use 3rd party apps. Could you name some interesting ones that people are jailbreaking for? I learn also that if you jailbreak, you'll be able to modify it, SSH into it, choose your own theme and many other cool things. What exactly are we modifying and what is SSH?

Pretty new to this but I'm really interested to have all these understood.

I've read on a couple of occasions that warns iPhone users to not update their firmware whereby they say people wouldn't be able to use yell0wsnow and won't be able to unlock their phone and stuff like that. What exactly am I getting myself into when I upgrade my firmware to 2.2.1? Does this apply to iPhone sets that are sold here in Singapore?

Here's my situation.

Singtel, being Apple's sole distributor here in Singapore says the sets they are selling are already unlocked. And the last time I checked their sets are firmware version 2.0.1.

Thing is, most of the apps in the apps store are 2.2 or 2.2.1 requirement. So I can't really get the apps I want and I'm intending to upgrade my firmware to 2.2.1 being the current latest. Will I have to unlock my iPhone if I happen to upgrade my firmware to 2.2.1 via iTunes?

I hear them warning users to not jailbreak if they are using the iphone 3G or they will never be able to unlock the phone ever again. First things first, by jailbreaking my already unlocked iphone 3G, will it change it into a locked phone back again? My current firmware version on the iphone is 2.0.1 if I'm not wrong. And most apps need 2.2 or 2.2.1 and plus I wouldn't mind changing the button pics or changing the theme.

Last but not least, how can I place more icons on the quick panel at the bottom which seems to be set at maximum 4 icons only?