Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Having issues with modding

Exclamation Having issues with modding
    Hi there,

I just decided to upgrade my iPhone 2G to the firmware version 2.2, or the newest for which there are guides available.

The thing is that I only have Windows as an OS and I downloaded QuickPwn from this page and the .ipsw file and everything.

When I first ran quickpwn it said to me that the version I downloaded only worked with iPhone's firmware >= 2.0

Sooooooo, I upgraded my iPhone through iTunes and I don't have an allowed carrier since I'm in Mexico and iPhone 2G never made it here. Now I'm not able to use my phone at all and the quickpwn tool gives me an error message when locating the .ipsw file like this:

Firmware error string

Whenever I try using the file I downloaded from this site the error says that versions don't match and that QuickPwn is not used to upgrade my firmware, but only to break the current one it has.

How can I manually (without iTunes) install a .ipsw file to my iPhone to try the one I downloaded from this site? or is there anything else I can do to return my iPhone to it's original state?

I'm really worried, please someone answer.

Sincere thanks.
    Last edited by lavalos; 2009-04-23 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Urgent, I have no phone

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

U have to use iTunes. Just restore in iTunes to the newest firmware. Don't worry about ispws because iTunes will download it's own. When you are done with the restore launch quickpwn and jailbreak and unlock your phone.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

lavalos (2009-04-23)

First of all, thanks for the reply.

I used iTunes already to "upgrade" my phone, at the proccess of updating the firmware there is a screen on iTunes that says my iPhone can't be activated with it's current SIM card, that I need one that is authorized by them.

So the upgrade with iTunes is not finished since I don't have a SIM card from allowed carriers.

I open QuickPwn and it detects my iPhone, when it searches for the .ipsw file it gives me the error of the string error I mentioned in my previous post, is there any step I am missing here?

Or I would need a Mac OSX computer to try with pwnage tool?

Again, thanks a lot for the response!

Thanks

Look for the custom firmware in this forum. Just do a 'Shift+Restore' and select it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to soulthoughts For This Useful Post:

lavalos (2009-04-23)

Allright, found custom firmware and I'm downloading it. Once the job is finished I need to go to iTunes, select my iPhone, press shift and click on restore?

This last step I need explanation, because now I get my iPhone connected, iTunes says something about going into iTunes store and then I get the message about my SIM card.

How do I restore the iPhone with the custom firmware?

Again, sincere thanks for all the help.

Hi,

I already finished downloading the custom firmware that I was recommended to download.

Now, I'm still lost. I couldn't find how to do the steps described by soulthought to do a shift+restore.

Can anyone please explain this matter further?

Thanks.
    Last edited by lavalos; 2009-04-24 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Launch itunes. It will detect your phone. Hold the shift key on your keyboard and click the restore button in itunes. Find your custom firmware on your computer and open it.

Greetings,

I already inserted my iPhone, opened iTunes and held shift key.

Still I can't see the Restore button anywhere, it just says something like:

"It seems that the SIM card inserted in your iPhone is not supported"

I got a screenshot that I am attaching, please note that I was holding the shift key while taking the screenshot and there is no restore button, please help.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

on the left side of your iTunes screen click on your phone.

iPhone? More like MyPhone punklove's Avatar
    Thanks

um... u need to get into DFU or restore mode-1- turn phone off, 2- hold down power and home for 10 seconds, 3-let go of power button-keep holding home til itunes opens up/recognizes phone- 4-hold option [mac](shift[pc]) and click restore; 5 choose custom firmware-

enjoy!
    happiness is a warm iphone~~~~

Greetings,

I have solved my issue and what I needed was to put the iPhone in DFU mode so I could restore it.

Thanks to all who replied to this post and specially StealthBravo, I PM'd him and he answered with this DFU mode. Thanks again to all of you because you all helped me to solve my problem.

Best regards.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

No problem! Glad you got it working