Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can't create new contacts in Address book

Default Can't create new contacts in Address book
    I have a 3G(2.2.1) jailbroken with quickpwn. I restored new from iTunes. I can't add new contacts to my address book. I've read the forums and I know it's a permission problem. I am using openssh. I need someone to walk me through it like a second grader

Thanks in advance

what exactly is the issue

have you tried using the phone app to make them?

If you don't have any current contacts that need saving, try this; using SSH, navigate to /User/Library/AddressBook and delete the AddressBook.sqlitedb and AddressBookImages.sqlitedb files. Reboot the phone and try creating contacts again. The files should be re-created with the proper permissions.

him121213-I can view my existing contacts, but when I try to add new ones, they don't save. I've tried to add them by just saving them the normal way.

Untaken-I just want to be able to keep my existing contacts, and be able to add new ones. If I save the existing files with the wrong permissions before I delete them, and I try rebooting, how do I get them back on the phone with the correct permissions?

Quote Originally Posted by dicky243 View Post
    Untaken-I just want to be able to keep my existing contacts, and be able to add new ones. If I save the existing files with the wrong permissions before I delete them, and I try rebooting, how do I get them back on the phone with the correct permissions?
    Try this then; make a backup of your current *.sqlitedb files from the AddressBook folder and then delete them. Restart the phone and then try creating a contact and adding a picture to it (even a screenshot of your SpringBoard will do, you just need to let the phone re-create the AddressBookImages.sqlitedb file with the proper permissions). Then using SSH, drag and drop your backups over the newly created files and overwrite them. I had to do this once and it worked for me.

After I delete the files, the phone won't let me create any new contacts or make calls. I can view my favorites for 2 seconds, then it forces me to my home screen. I can't view recent or contacts or keypad. Do you know the correct permission settings, and all the places that I need to change them?
    Last edited by dicky243; 2009-04-20 at 05:31 PM.

okay just restore your phone and the problem is solved... do you even know what you did to mess witht the permissions?

After I restore, how do I add my existing contacts without running into the same problems? Do I just copy the permission settings from the restored address book into the existing address book?

Thanks. Got it working.

Got similar problem ...

Open WinSCP, and navigate to /private/var/mobile/Library/AddressBook

Change "owner" from "user" to "mobile" [without quotes] !

K I had same problem and have fixed it with ifile. Note: ifile not files.

First go to cydia and install ifile (the free one works fine)

Now open ifile and put in the following path: var/mobile/Library/AddressBook

You will see this file :
    AddressBook.sqlitedb

Click on the blue arrow on that file and the file attributes page opens. This is what u should have:

OWNERSHIP
    Owner:root
    Group:mobile

ACCESS PERMISSIONS
    owner:read,write
    Group:read,write
    World:read

Now I only have world set as read and have not noticed any problems. If u have problems set it to read,write also.

Now click the blue done tab in the top right corner. Now close files.

Now u need to reboot your phone for the settings to take effect.

K your done. U should now be able to add and delete contacts again.

NOTE: IF YOUR FILE PERMISSIONS ARE ALREADY SET TO THOSE PERMISSIONS CHANGE THEM ALL TO READ,WRITE,EXECUTE THEN FOLLOW REST OF MY TUTORIAL INCLUDING THE REBOOT. THEN GO BACK INTO IFILE AND RESET THEM AS ABOVE.