Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3.0 downgrade to 2.2 pass Apple's diagnostics?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Default 3.0 downgrade to 2.2 pass Apple's diagnostics?
    Even though you get error's when you restore? Can anyone confirm this?

Well, if Apple check's to see what baseband your running....it'll show upgraded from having 3.0. And I dont know what else they can/will see.

Thanks

Would they even look at the baseband?

They have special diagnostic software used, pulls up everything about the phone....so I wouldnt be surprised if the software automatically told them something was up. Or came up with a flag of some sort.

Also, since you've already taken it in....they usually log your visit and post a flag that you've been denied....so if you come back in again, it will come up so they can deny you again.

Thanks

Well I don't even know why they denied me. It wasn't a software issue. Completely different. It was a hardware defect, my vibrate switch snapped off.

Since you can downgrade from 3.0 to 2.2.1 without the use of any 3rd party tools (I know because I've done it), they cannot deny you service if your device is still in warranty. As long as 2.2.1 boots to the SpringBoard and is not jailbroken there should not be an issue. If they do notice the 3.0 baseband on the 2.2.1 OS, just tell them you had too many issues with 3.0 and that you read how to downgrade using DFU mode. As DFU mode is a built-in function of Apple's own software, they have to support it.

On a somewhat related note, my first iPhone had its dock connector fry and I used the advance exchange service to get a new one. As the iPhone would not charge or sync, I had a limited amount of time in which to use Cydia and SSH to remove as many signs of jailbreaking as possible. I got it down to looking 100% stock, though Cydia was still installed (just hidden). Apple took it back with no questions asked. That being said, if their diagnostic software doesn't detect Cydia then I doubt it'll detect the 3.0 baseband as being a problem.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

Just depends how nice of a "genius" you get

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I went to R180 (Chadstone, Victoria, Australia) and had my iPhone replaced. I had upgraded to 3.0B2 and had downgraded to 2.2.1, and used Win QuickPwn to boot the phone due to the error.

When he ran the diagnostics, nothing interesting came up on the screen, and I'm fairly sure he noticed the odd baseband version, he didn't seem to mind.

I'd give it a shot - and I'd just keep it on the beta version anyway, it's covered by warranty.

I've now got a new iPhone (well.. refurb)!

Thanks

Should I go back to the same store or go to a different one?

Livin the iPhone Life mr.sparky's Avatar
    Thanks

I dont think it would matter.Im sure the get 100's of people in there and unless you made a big show there I'm sure they wont remember ya...
    http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o260/cpjr1979/dc5274181cd827585d4bb6d16bedb210cop.png
    Steroids are yummy

Thanks

try a defferent one

Thanks

Alright, so they should service it since I'm running 2.2 even though the baseband is updated? I'll try going back in Wednesday.

I'll just tell them what happened.

Livin the iPhone Life mr.sparky's Avatar
    Thanks

or you can have a pretty girl go in there and act dumb.My friend had his wife go in there,her screen was cracked and she told them that the phone was left in the car over night,and when she came out in the morning the screen was cracked (it had been really cold out at the time) and they gave her a new phone...
    http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o260/cpjr1979/dc5274181cd827585d4bb6d16bedb210cop.png
    Steroids are yummy

Thanks

lol, wouldn't they know that I had the phone before though?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

^Just hit up another store and you should be good.

Yea, and if you can bring a chick with you showing some major cleavage then that couldn't hurt either.

Thanks

Well I called and bitched at Apple Care and they gave me a note on the case number saying my issue had nothing to do with the software and they are going to replace it tomorrow.

And the guy had no idea what he was talking about saying they can't service iPhones with beta 3.0 on them.

They even put in a complaint to the guy for me, saying how he ****** up and all. The ****** thought the phone had damage due to software, lmao!
    Last edited by Ozzyman500; 2009-04-21 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost