Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Downgrade iPhone 3G w/ OS 3.0 beta 3 before heading to Genius Bar for replacement?

Exclamation Downgrade iPhone 3G w/ OS 3.0 beta 3 before heading to Genius Bar for replacement?
    [Couldn't find similar thread, but I do apologize if this has been addressed]

Hey... So my silent/vibrate switch broke off of my iPhone 3G (from what I've read this has happened to many). I'm still under warranty (kinda sorta) but I've jailbroken it in the past and am now on OS 3.0 beta 3.

...Issue is, not only have I previously QuickPwn'd my phone, but I'm also activated as a device on another dev's account. Does anyone know if the "fine" folks at the Genius Bar will care that I've updated to the 3.0 beta OS, but not under my own name, when I go to ask for a replacement??

I'm hoping they'll just replace the phone as is, but should I try to downgrade to 2.2.1 first and/or erase any traces of a past jailbreak? I'd rather not risk problems downgrading the OS if Apple is willing to replace it regardless of the beta firmware.

Thanks, Your help is much appreciated! Any advice welcome...
    On iPhone 3G, OS 3.0 beta 3 (not currently jailbroken).

(Oh, and yes I know I'm not "technically" under warranty since I've jailbroken , but I was one of these silly fools who lined up at the Apple Store for the iPhone 3G opening weekend this past summer.)

I went for a replacement about two weeks ago because I had so
    e dust and stuff inside the camera lense. I had the 3.0 on it. They looked all around the case and said that that they were going to exchange it. No problem. Then he said that he had to run a diagnostic on it and plugged it into a laptop behind him. I got a little nervous because I was jailbroken before, but not at that time. Well he unplugged it and said ok let's replace it. Only when I asked him to erase all my contents did I he proceed to do so and saw that it was 3.0. He then asked me if I was a developer. I said yes and that I liked somen of the new features but others needed work and blah blah blah. He said "cool" and gave me my new phone and I left happy.

So it did not effect me that I had the 3.0 or that I has under someone elses dev list. So I would just go without the hastle of downgrading.

If you do have a problem. Just go to another apple store.

Good luck

Allan

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

So they replaced your phone just because you had dust under your camera?