Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Big Mistake!! Unlocked 3g relocked by upgrading

Exclamation Big Mistake!! Unlocked 3g relocked by upgrading
    Hi,

My problem is simple.. I'm a knuckle head. My husband gave me a 3G Iphone for our anniversary, originally locked to O2. He got it unlocked and jailbroken in Pakistan to use with my local sim and gave specific orders not to update or anything. I did use the phone for a short while and then like a big dodo updated it through itunes to 2.2.1 with baseband 2.30.

I got advice on this site that I can use piggyback sim to use the phone. However, I still have some unsolved questions.

1. After updating my phone got locked and Itunes said something like 'Invalid Sim. Insert original sim or ask carrier to send replacement sim'. The Iphone shows the same message plus the Emergency Call screen. I can slide to unlock to make only Emergency call. What does this mean?

2. I had an O2 sim, I tried that with my phone but still the same. I guess the sim has expired. Should i try it while connected to Itunes or just putting the sim in and switching on will work?

3. If I use a piggyback sim, should i just insert it and turn on phone for it to work? Or should i connect phone to Itunes and then turn it on with the piggyback sim in?

I would be really grateful for answers. I'm very confused and it breaks my heart each time I look at my Iphone sitting pretty in its case!

You will need to jailbrake it which will activate it.

I hope your husband didn't actually pay to have it unlocked when he could have done it himself for nothing!
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Default I did the same
    I've tried to jailbroken it now and I can use all the applications, but the SIM card is still locked.
    Does someone know how to solve this?

Which carrier are you with? What did you use to jailbrake (and which version)? Did you have the SIM in when you did it?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks for replying. I live in Brazil and I unlocked and jailbroken my Iphone using Quickpwn and Yellows0w. Everything was working fine till I upgraded to firmware 2.2.1 through Itunes. I've tried restoring and unlocking again, but the SIM card stills locked.

The SIM card was not in when I did everything
    Last edited by toffane; 2009-04-10 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Well, it would be , wouldn't it?
    YellowSn0w only works with BB 2.28

Do you know any solution for this?

Wait until 3.0 is released and unlocked.
    in the mean time your only choice is to use a Piggyback SIM.
    Why on earth did you upgrade if you were using Yellowsn0w?

My iPhone is a Part of Me IvanPK's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Wait until 3.0 is released and unlocked.
    in the mean time your only choice is to use a Piggyback SIM.
    Why on earth did you upgrade if you were using Yellowsn0w?
    Her husband didn't tell her not to update, so she didn't know any better.

I didn't know that toffane was a woman, or that she was married or that her husband was so stupid.

How do i jailbreak? I checked out the tutorials at iClarified.com, but didnt really get much.

Do i put my local sim in while jailbreaking and then use a piggyback sim to use the iphone as a phone?

I use Windows as my operating system.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

One you are upgraded you are screwed. You can not downgrade the firmware and 3.0 will take a while for yellowsn0w can deal with that since its a completley new baseband revision so they are starting over.

Best best is to find someone running 2.2 or and hasnt upgraded to get their phone since most refurbished phones I have seen come with 2.2.1