Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Restore phone

Default Restore phone
    quick info. I want to restore my phone. its been way sluggish. so I remembered a post here that said how to do it with SSH. But I am on 3.0 with a mac so cant jail break it. any suggestions how I can do a restore with new phone selection and still keep the SMS saved?!

the post I am referring to for restore is the following
    How to have a blazing fast jailbroken phone

1- SSH in to your phone and copy the entire /Users/Library folder to your computer

2- do a full fresh restore on your phone

3- set up as new phone in iTunes, do NOT restore from backup. Sync your mail and bookmarks.

4- quickpwn your phone. This is very important, do not use pwnage. I have ran this experiment 10 times on 2 phones for 2 days..... pwnage CFW slows the system down. quickpwn is the fastest operating jailbreak by far.

5- Go into Cydia and get your phone set up with OpenSSH.

6- Connect through open SSH to your phone and navigate to your /Users/Library folder.

7- Replace the mail, sms, safari, weather, addressbook, and call history folders with the one from your computer.

You're done. You've got all the call history, SMS, bookmarks and history from the web (even the cookies), mail, contacts, and you don't even have to set your weather back up. Everything is just like it was, but you are on a fresh install and your phone will be noticeably faster.
    but since I am on 3.0 with a mac I cant jailbreak to get this taken care of until apple officially releases 3.0 and dev. team releases their magic

any other suggestions?!

Nope, thats really about it. You either have to be jailbroken or have to restore using a backup.

is there any way that i could load that info back into a new restore or only through the SSH process.

I mean it would suck if I had to go find a PC to take care of this problem. the file that itunes uses to restore can that file me modified to not include everything?!