Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HELP - Urgent question

Default HELP - Urgent question
    So I was going to upgrade my firmware from 1.1.2 to 1.1.4 using ZiPhone. My iphone was 1.0.2 OTB and I've upgraded the firmware twice. It is unlocked and I use it on the T-Mobile network in the United States.

Now, I've always done any moding through my mac mini, but I sync my media content through iTunes on my Windows laptop.

And OK, this is what I did.

I downloaded ZiPhone on my mac mini.

Connected my iPhone to my mac mini.

Opened ZiPhone just to get a look at it's interface, then closed it. I didn't press any buttons.

Then I went to iTunes and was just about ready to press the restore button when I remembered I had some photos on my iPhone that I hadn't copied to my hard drive.

So I ejected my iPhone from my mac mini and then plugged it into my Windows laptop.

Upon plugging it into my laptop, I got the "found new hardware alert" iPhone in recovery mode.

My iPhone had the recovery mode icon on the screen. Then a lot of text began to scroll. I saw it saying it was erasing some things. I got a little worried.

So I just let it do its thing, figuring that was best.

At the end it went back to the slide to unlock screen and it looks like nothing happened. Everything is still there and I can still make phone calls.

Soooooooooo.

WHAT HAPPENED?

Am I OK to restore in iTunes?

heh yes u are
    Thanks is an acknowledgment

Really, OK that's great. Any ideas why it did it or what it did?

Also, is there a way to back up my safari bookmarks before I restore? I remember there being something about backing up your entire iphone on the front page the other day, but I can't find it now.

My iPhone is a Part of Me lillewis51's Avatar
    Thanks

It was probably ziphone running some code through your phone. If installer isnt on your screen then everything is fine and you are ok to restore.(you would be ok to restore anyway)

As for backing up bookmarks if you click on the iphone icon in itunes in one of the tabs you can backup contacts calender and bookmarks. so if you check backup on bookmark you will be fine.

You say "if installer isn't on your screen."

What does that mean exactly?

Also, on my "info" tab in iTunes it only allows for syncing contacts and calendar. There is nothing for syncing bookmarks. I just updated to the latest iTunes and that made no difference.

UPDATE - nevermind about the bookmarks. I use a television as a screen for my mac mini and i failed to notice the side scroll bar was off the screen. Doh.

UPDATE #2 - I can't SSH into my iphone now.

The default login for 1.1.2 is root and the password is alpine, right?

It's been awhile since I logged in, so maybe I've forgotten? Or maybe ZiPhone messed something up when it ran the code on my phone?

Cause I installed OpenSSH. I have SSH turned on. I have the right IP address. But I get an error when I try to SSH into the phone using cyberduck.

Any help?
    Last edited by chasev2; 2008-03-08 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost