Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help! All App Store apps crashing on launch

Default Help! All App Store apps crashing on launch *solved*
    Hey all,

I have a weird problem that just started happening last night/this morning - all App Store apps are crashing as soon as they are launched. I can see the app begin to launch, then it goes back to the springboard. Jailbroken apps work fine (xGPS, Macman, etc.), as well as default iPhone apps (Phone, Mail, Safari, iPod, Calculator, etc.).

The only thing I have done since the last time I saw these apps working, was I plugged the phone into a new iTunes Library, checked "manually manage files" and allowed it to reset the music library, which was already empty ("this iPhone is synced with a different iTunes Library..."). I then put on a bunch of music, and it was after this that I noticed the apps were not working.

iPhone Firmware: 2.2.1
    Jailbroken using Pwnage Tool at 2.2.1
    iTunes on PC: 8.1.0.52

I have searched around and the common fix is to "start over" - this really isn't an option for me, since I feel like there should be a pretty easy fix for this. I'm an advanced user (I've got SSH working, etc.) so I imagine there is something someone out there has figured out to fix this. I do not have a backup of the phone made that I could simply restore to. I was however wondering if I should just repwn with a downloaded firmware?

The only other thing I can think of is, I used a Windows app called iPhone Browser to pull some files via USB from dTunes download folder. I did not modify anything at all, simply deleted the downloaded files from within the dTunes interface, so I don't think this is what caused it.

Thanks in advance if you have any suggestions!

[ame="http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127769"]This thread[/ame] suggests it could be a low memory issue. I just checked SBSettings and I only had 10 MB of memory free, which is extremely low (I remember having 50+ MB free just a few days ago, and I haven't really installed anything new in the past few days). So, I restarted the iPhone and immediately checked free memory. It was momentarily in the 60's, but while I was watching it, dropped to 35 MB, which is still a bit low. So, does anyone know the answers to either of the following questions?

1) What could be causing memory to disappear before my eyes?
    2) How can I see (and potentially uninstall) apps that are running in the background and sucking up resources?

*EDIT* solution:
    It was the memory issue. I still need to figure out how to kill some apps that are running in the background. But, I had a bunch of applications in the "dock" of SBPrefs, and I remember reading somewhere that these are kind of always running. One of those apps was xGPS Manager... something that definitely does not need to be running all the time! So I got rid of any apps that I frequently use and can launch from my app launcher (gold something) and now my memory is up again, with my apps working.
    Last edited by jzahra; 2009-03-31 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

To kill background processes, yo have several options:

1. install the Processes add-on for SB Settings and kill processes with it
    2.Install another memory app like System Activity Monitor, Free Memory, etc... and clean memory with it
    3. Simply reboot or respring the iphone.

Regarding the changing memory number in SB settings, I notice the same thing as you, when I first reboot it will show 74MB free then drop to 45MB. With no processes other than phone listing in SB Settings, my free memory varies between 38-45MB
    What I notice is that mail and safari tend to stay running after you thing youve closed them and eat a lot of this. You can either close the app by holding down the home key fr about 10 seconds until the app closes or you can just click out then open SBSettings and kill the process.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bhz1 For This Useful Post:

jzahra (2009-04-01)

Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    To kill background processes, yo have several options:

1. install the Processes add-on for SB Settings and kill processes with it
    2.Install another memory app like System Activity Monitor, Free Memory, etc... and clean memory with it
    3. Simply reboot or respring the iphone.

Regarding the changing memory number in SB settings, I notice the same thing as you, when I first reboot it will show 74MB free then drop to 45MB. With no processes other than phone listing in SB Settings, my free memory varies between 38-45MB
    What I notice is that mail and safari tend to stay running after you thing youve closed them and eat a lot of this. You can either close the app by holding down the home key fr about 10 seconds until the app closes or you can just click out then open SBSettings and kill the process.
    bhz1, thanks so much for the suggestions. I installed the Processes plugin for SBPrefs as well as SysInfoPlus, and both of them showed that I didn't have much extra running in the background. Everything is working but my memory is still low... I guess I will just have to monitor it. Winterboard would probably be the first thing to go if I start having trouble again...

Thanks again!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

35 MB of free memory is PLENTY. It's when you get down below 10 that you'll start having issues. A freshly restored phone will about 45-50MB... after installing Winterboard and a few other MobileSubstrate apps you'll be down to 35 or so... still in good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    35 MB of free memory is PLENTY. It's when you get down below 10 that you'll start having issues. A freshly restored phone will about 45-50MB... after installing Winterboard and a few other MobileSubstrate apps you'll be down to 35 or so... still in good shape.
    Ok! Sounds good to me... Thanks!