Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: A stupid 40yr old needs help ......

Default A stupid 40yr old needs help ......
    I have a 2g iphone unlocked 2.1. how do i get it back to factory settings? i want to use the apple store etc from my phone, i"m in the uk on vodafone, if it goes back will i have to put o2 sim in it?
    please make it idiot proof guide please, as i paid 20 to get it unlocked and i dont wont to go down that route again.
    thanks a lot

Thanks

Well, if you go back to factory settings it will lock your phone and you will need your O2 sim. There is no reason you can't use the appstore or sync in iTunes, BUT...

Make sure you have automatic updates turned off or iTunes will update your firmware and you will no longer be unlocked.

if the updates are off, can i still get lastest upgrades ie..2.2...2.3. 2.4 when available, thanks for your reply

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i love bread View Post
    if the updates are off, can i still get lastest upgrades ie..2.2...2.3. 2.4 when available, thanks for your reply
    Yes you can but I believe it will ask you if want to update first as opposed to automatically updating for you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by soulthoughts View Post
    Yes you can but I believe it will ask you if want to update first as opposed to automatically updating for you.
    That is correct.

will there be any problems if it is on auto update?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i love bread View Post
    will there be any problems if it is on auto update?
    If you are not using a contract cell phone carrier (official iphone carrier) you will no longer have phone service because the latest firmware WILL lock your phone if it auto updates.

The latest FW is 2.21 and this can be unlocked easily (and free of charge) - see the tutorial at iClarified.com

Just make sure you don't upgrade to a later FW until it has been confirmed you can unlock it.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Upgrade to 2.2 (not 2.2.1)..
    You can jailbreak 2.2.1, but not unlock.
    You can jailbreak and unlock 2.2 though.

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    The latest FW is 2.21 and this can be unlocked easily (and free of charge) - see the tutorial at iClarified.com

Just make sure you don't upgrade to a later FW until it has been confirmed you can unlock it.
    Windows - iClarified - iPhone - How to Unlock/Jailbreak Your 2.x.x 2G iPhone Using QuickPwn (Windows)
    Mac - iClarified - iPhone - How to Unlock/Jailbreak Your 2.x.x 2G iPhone (Mac) [Updated 2.2.1]

You just want to be sure to have your Vodafone (or whatever SIM that you want to use) inside the iPhone when you start this process.

Quote Originally Posted by joefx13 View Post
    Upgrade to 2.2 (not 2.2.1)..
    You can jailbreak 2.2.1, but not unlock.
    You can jailbreak and unlock 2.2 though.
    He has a 2G iPhone. He can upgrade to 2.2.1 and still unlock it.
    Last edited by NeoNightmareX; 2009-03-25 at 01:28 AM.
    If I helped you, then hit the "Thanks!" button please.

Quote Originally Posted by Soodeh View Post
    I can't find Cydia on app store