Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is my phone jailbroken

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Is my phone jailbroken
    I am brand new to any apple devices and this probably sounds like the dumbest question but one to which I'm sure there is a very simple answer yet I can't find it.

How do I tell if a phone is jailbroken or not ?

I have 'acquired' an unlocked 16gb iPhone with 1.1.4 (4A102) firmware and 04.04.05_G modem.

Currently I have a non mainstream carrier SIM inserted but no service or WiFi at my present location (not on land at the moment!)

On the screen it has Installer and if I select that I get a whole raft of packages to install, including Cydia, so does that mean it is jailbroken or not ?

If I use iPhoneBrowser for instance and go down to Location/Standard Applications/Stocks Icon, which I'd like to get rid off, it says "Could not find path, Have you successfully used jailbreak" which obviously infers that it isn't.

Surely there is some instant way to tell one way or the other ?

Thanks.

Thanks

Yes, if you have Cydia or installer, it is jailbroken. If iphonebrowser can access any of the files, it is jailborken.

Thanks

So how did you "acquire" this iPhone you know nothing about?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I know what you are suggesting and perhaps 'acquired' was a poor choice of wording. I'm actually a merchant seaman and won it from a Polish guy in a game of cards a couple of nights ago.

Unfortunately he was less than a good loser and the handing over was performed in very bad grace but luckily there were more of us than of them. That being so the moment was deemed inappropriate for indepth questions if you get my drift so I just gave him his back his Sim card and we left before things had a chance to turn ugly !

The phone was set up in Polish and once I'd figured out how to switch to English did a full reset which I understand is about the only way to clear out hundreds of SMS messages.

Thanks

Okay, and I apologise.

If it was me I'd start afresh & do a complete restore etc.

This guide should help you..... CLICK HERE

Any problems just ask for help.

***EDIT***

Guy must pay more attention and actually read posts in future!

So, I'd update to 2.2.1 via iTunes and then use Quickpwn to unlock/jailbreak.
    Last edited by iGuy; 2009-03-24 at 05:41 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Accepted

Phone is as my OP: 2g 16gb with 1.1.4 (4A102) firmware and 04.04.05_G modem

Thanks for the link and I'll explore a bit further when I have more time and not on an insanely expensive Inmarst link

I will undoubtedly be back with more questions but still trying to get my head around iTunes as I've been accustomed to Drag-n-Drop and get very irritated at things which just get in the way, the principal reason I have never considered purchasing any 'i' device.

iTunes is awful - but the iPhone is great. Upgrade to 2.21 and unlock and enjoy

PS - is your first name Fu ?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Wow. You must have been pretty desperate to get hold of it. I take it being a seaman doesn't pay much these days...
    To live, you have to lie

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Awful is putting it mildly IMO, but nowhere near as bad as Sony's SonicStage used to be.

Fu it is

Not desperate for it at all and after my experience with Sony I took an oath to never to consider any device which was not pure Drag-n-Drop which is why I own an 80gB Archos 605 WiFi.

I would never part with my own money for any 'i' product but the idiot I won it from was a (half pissed) poor card player who not only over estimated his skill but badly also underestimated mine.

The pay ain't too bad at my level and it's tax free of course

Thanks

Well, I'm just glad the guy never put his daughter up. Who knows how that would have ended...
    To live, you have to lie

Thanks

I like the Poles. They did help us win the Battle of Britain after all. (Although their word for dog is "pies" which is a little worrying!).

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    iTunes is awful - but the iPhone is great. Upgrade to 2.21 and unlock and enjoy

PS - is your first name Fu ?
    You should only upgrade to 2.2.1 if your phone has a Metal back (2G). If it is Black or White plastic then that means that it is a 3G phone, so only upgrade to 2.2 and then you can unlock it.
    If I helped you, then hit the "Thanks!" button please.

Quote Originally Posted by Soodeh View Post
    I can't find Cydia on app store

As it's on 1.14 it is a 2G - the 3G came with 2.0 minimum, so it's safe to upgrade to 2.21 and unlock.

And the Poles are nice - but as with most people, not when they're p!ssed.
    Last edited by confucious; 2009-03-25 at 10:07 AM.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Looks like I'm not the only one who should pay more attention!

And btw, I'm nice when I'm pissed! Everyone is my best friend!