Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 2G won't connect through USB

Default 2G won't connect through USB
    I'd love some troubleshooting help on this one.

What I have:
    2G iPhone built in 08 week 22
    Running Firmware 2.2.1 for several weeks now.
    Modem Firmware 04.05.04_G
    Unlocked and Jailbroken using QuickPwn
    Software runs great, physical condition is great.

The problem started all of a sudden. One afternoon when I went to put it on the cradle it gave me the "This accessory is not designed to work with iPhone" warning and the iMac I had connected it to said "A USB device is currently drawing too much power". At that point the iMac cut the power to that USB port and nothing on the port/hub would work. Additionally the speakerphone speaker is always just a whisper and the mic does not pick up what I say. It acts as if I have the iphone headphones/mic plugged into the top.

Since then I have tried 2 different USB cables with and without the cradle. I have also tried multiple Apple computers and multiple USB ports. All have given me the same error message. I have even tried using compressed air in the dock connector to clean out anything stuck in there.

My assessment at this point is that the dock connector is faulty. Or maybe the USB controller is faulty. What are the expert opinions out there? I'd love to restore the device, but with no USB, it's stuck where it is. Two good things are that I've found are that my old ipod firewire cable will charge the phone and that I can SSH into it using openSSH. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

1. are you using an Apple USB cable?
    2. Check the cable ends at the connectors. I had one the began to separate and it would go haywire on me. You can tape it with electrical tape, or you might need to replace the cable.
    3. Are all those Macs running OSX 10.5.6? if so you need a powered USB hub

The fact that you can charge with your iPod cable indicates that #2 might be your issue. It might not be your dock, but the cable end that connects to the dock. I noticed at one point my iphone connecting and disconecting anytime I moved the iPhone and dock. I checked the cable and saw some bare wires peeking out right where the wire meets the connector. Taped it up and it works just fine.

So after messing with the phone for a while, I was convinced it was a hardware issue and brought it into the Apple Store. Man I hate the reservations/concierge system. I was 6 minutes late for my appointment and they dropped my reservation, not letting me talk to a Genius. I'm sorry, but the whole system tells me "Our Geniuses are more important than our customers". I've many times waited more than 10 minutes after my appointment time to talk to a Genuis.

Thanks for the response bhz1, I was using apple USB cables, one was the original and the other was the phone/bluetooth combo cable. Neither worked when plugged directly into the computer or into a powered hub. I still don't know what caused the dock connector to go bad, but Apple was fine with giving me a new iphone. I think it's actually a new one and not a refurb as the serial number indicates it was built in week 5 of 09. I guess that means there is still a limited production run or something of the 2Gs.

One cool note is that I took off my Zagg Invisishield from the old phone and brought it to the Zagg kiosk outside of the Apple store in my mall and they gave me a new one. (I paid them the $10 to put it on for me, I can never line it up correctly).

Thanks

Glad it worked out for you.

Hey, do all mall based Apple stores have a Zagg kiosk outside? I almost got one shortly after I got my 3G then decided against it since at the time I was using a leather pouch. I encountered several instances where the clip fell off my waist band (I dont usually wear a belt) and I came close to losing the phone, I started keeping in my pocket. Now the back is a little scratched. Should have gotten the shield.