Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 2G Refuses to accept ANY firmware...

Default 2G Refuses to accept ANY firmware...
    Hi,

I've spent almost a day searching for answers and trying a dozen or more of the standard suggestions that one can find online.... can anyone suggest something else I can try in order to fix this please?

I have an 8GB 2G which refuses to accept 2.2.1. In fact with various errors it refuses to accept many firmware versions I've tried from 1.1.4 upwards. It seems to get closes to accepting 2.2.1 but never actually finishes - the progress bar on the phone underneath the Apple gets to 100% and iTunes sits there forever with "Waiting for iPhone".

I've tried being in DFU mode and standard recovery-mode restore and yes I'm sure I'm in DFU mode because either iLiberty (1.1.4 firmware) or Windows tells me I am (plus the phone has the blank screen). Also I've tried all my various attempts from a Mac and a PC, removing & reinstalling iTunes (7.5 & 8.1).

As it stands it's a good condition 2G iPhone that's stuck at the recovery screen (connector pointing at iTunes icon). If it's relevant to the problem, the recovery mode screen is of a pre 2.0 design - i.e; it has the dock-connector-plug rather than a USB plug.

At this stage I'm willing to try anything.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Thanks

What is the error message you are getting? Depending upon what it is, you can possibly just use Quickpwn or Pwnage at that point.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

well if you say on the iphone it self showing the usb cable with the arrow pointing toward the itunes icon, try this:

download the firmware that you just install, (get it from some where be side itunes) i am guessing its 2.2.1

download QuickPWN2-2-1

close itunes, run QuickPWN2-2-1 and follow the instruction and also download the boot loaders if you want to unlock it

hope this helps

Thanks

Maybe Im not seein it but was it jailbroken yet? If not and hopefully its still under warranty(1 year) go to the apple store and have them look at it and maybe they can tell ya what it si.

Hi Jayune,

Thanks for the post - I'll try your suggestion in the morning. Currently I don't have access to a physical Windows machine, only XP in VMWare on the Mac and QuickPWN 2-2-1 states that use in a virtualized setup isn't supported. :-(

Although I have to say that frankly I'm not holding out a lot of hope.

I just fired up QuickPWN 2-2-5 on the mac and it doesn't even recognize that the iPhone as being connected (the phone being stil in recovery mode). iTunes see the phone fine but of course never manages to successfully apply the firmware.

I'm running Mac OSX 10.5.6 with the USB fix for DFU mode in place.

Cheers,

Steve

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

one more thing make sure your usb cable isnt defective, lol wouldnt it be funny if it was as simple as that but anyways post you results

iPhone? More like MyPhone punklove's Avatar
    Thanks

wow- sounds like my pain from last night- similar issue- i tried a dfu restore, w/o knowing about the 10.5.6 dfu problems, and i was stuck with a iphone that didnt do squat but let me make emergency calls- i even tried the old usb 1.1 ibookg3 on 10.4.11, couldnt get itunes to restore worth a squat-

then i found an automated script to fix the 105.6 usb problem- rebooted machine twice- qwkpnd on my 10.5.6 machine- and im back to jb/unlcked-

one funny thing i noticed was that qwkpwn did want to let me dfu properly before the second restart- im going to try a custom restore thru itunes today [and im hoping all will go well, as i'm already qwkpwnd]-

have you tried connecting thru a USB Hub?? that was my next step if qwkpwn hadnt worked for me-
    happiness is a warm iphone~~~~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by briangriffin View Post
    Hi Jayune,

Thanks for the post - I'll try your suggestion in the morning. Currently I don't have access to a physical Windows machine, only XP in VMWare on the Mac and QuickPWN 2-2-1 states that use in a virtualized setup isn't supported. :-(

Although I have to say that frankly I'm not holding out a lot of hope.

I just fired up QuickPWN 2-2-5 on the mac and it doesn't even recognize that the iPhone as being connected (the phone being stil in recovery mode). iTunes see the phone fine but of course never manages to successfully apply the firmware.

I'm running Mac OSX 10.5.6 with the USB fix for DFU mode in place.

Cheers,

Steve
    I had a similar problem with Quickpwn when I downgraded to 2.2.1 from 3.0. Quckpwn would not recognize the iphone connected to my Macbook, however Pwnage did and I was able to compile a custom firmware that restored just fine in iTunes.

Still no joy with this one. I've now tried three different cables of varying ages, tried with different PCs / a Mac and using QuickPWN (Windows, 2.2.1).

QuickPWN was interesting; it kind of detected the [apparently stuck in recovery mode] phone when I plugged it into USB but not in the normal way. Instead of showind that it was a 2G phone when connecting to USB QuickPWN error'd with "Please hold down your phone's sleep & home button for 15 seconds, then press the power button for 2 seconds" dialog box.

Needless to say this sadly didn't make any difference and as soon as I'd followed QuickPWN's advice it quit on me. In fact QuickPWN 2.2.1 now does nothing but quit on me. ;-) I've checked that I'm up to date with the latest .NET as suggested.

I'm out of ideas! Anyone have any other innovative suggestions I could try? Hammer? :-)

Cheers,

Steve

Try Pwnage. It worked for me when Quickpwn on my Mac didn't.
    Last edited by bhz1; 2009-03-23 at 01:48 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

how did you update in the first place was it in itunes by apple it self(pressing the update button) or was it the restore option? if you didnt choose the second option, hold the shitf button on your pc(i dont know the shift equivalence on a make lol) click the restore option and choose the place were you downloaded the original iphone 2G firmware, make sure its named iPhone1,1_2.2.1_5H11_Restore, i am in windows using itunes 8.1 and i restore a few weeks ago. I dont know how relevant this is but i have administrator access so...... hope this is some what useful to you

ps: i would try to use the official apple update too if noting works, and if all fails i would call apple maybe they could give you some professional help
    Last edited by jayune; 2009-03-23 at 01:41 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone punklove's Avatar
    Thanks

Here's what I would try:

have u tried connecting thru a USB hub? [as the 10.5.6 DFU prob is related to usb drivers, some have reported that USB hubs allow DFU restores in 10.5.6]

have you tried Qwkpwn 2.2.5?

does DiskAid see the iphone's files? [DiskAid allows you to access the iphone filesystem via USB (and is free!!)]
    happiness is a warm iphone~~~~