Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Downgrading from 3.0 to 2.2.1... Yeah I know STUPID...

Default Downgrading from 3.0 to 2.2.1... Yeah I know STUPID...
    Ok first of all, I have an iPhone 3G and a Windows XP. I thought I was going to get smart and upgrade to 3.0 (beta), but I completely forgot about the whole dev crap... So now I want to downgrade to 2.2.1. And YES I have tried putting the thing in DFU mode and clicking shift+restore. That did NOT work. I just get this error: This iPhone could not be restored... every time i try to restore.

Can anyone please help???

Ok, so I have tried to restore it, I get the error message, then I open quickpwn and tells me too reboot. So I did, then I jailbroke it. I can know use my phone, but I don't have any signal, and no carrier logo... any help?
    Last edited by vollnov; 2009-03-21 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Join swagbucks and win a free iPod touch or iPhone just by searching the web!

Livin the iPhone Life seann33uk's Avatar
    Thanks

well make sure you are going into DFU mode when trying to restore it. there is a slight difference between a restore mode and DFU restore mode.

plus if you just UPDATED to 3.0 beta instead of using a pwned copy then it has probably updated your baseband as well. so 2.2.1 fw is probably conflicting with it and that is why you dont have signal... but try again with DFU and restore and see if it has any affect. otherwise you're screwed... "/
    Being an i can be a lot of pressure. you have to live right up to the small point.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to seann33uk For This Useful Post:

vollnov (2009-03-21)

Phew...

I thought I broke it... but I got it fixed

iPhone? More like MyPhone rkisling's Avatar
    Thanks

What did you end up doing to fix it? Right now I am happily running 3.0 beta on my phone, and all features seem to be working (though I miss categories, themes and notifications a lot). I finally found a good way to upgrade using Windows (as long as you have a valid copy from Apple and you UDID registered). Anyone who wants to know, let me know....

well? what'd you end up doing?

Well, I restored with custom firmware and I got the error. Then I opened quickpwn and it told me too reboot, so I did. Then I jailbroke it, then opened iTunes and it said I had a carrier update and then I updated and it was fixed.

iPhone 3G

I'm desperately trying to downgrade from 3.0 beta to 2.21. I was almost successful. I'm able to downgrade to 2.21 & 2.20; however, I'm not getting any singal bars, and there's no carrier logo. I read somewhere that iTunes is supposed to automatically pull up that "Carrier Update" and that will fix my problem. But that update has yet to be seen. Is there a way to force iTunes to pull up that update? I don't know what to do. I'm completely stuck.

From Mac OS X, I put the phone in DFU mode; iTunes restore; and used Apple's unmodded ipsw file; got the 1013 error as usual. quit iTunes; ran quickpawn in Windows Vista; and selected the same ipsw file, and boom; it puts the firmware on there, and it works. but no carrier logo, no bars! My iPhone 3G is nothing a chunky iPod Touch now.

I would try and run quick pawn through os x, but it doesn't work when I immediately do a restore through iTunes. Anyone, help!! I'd hate to resort back to 3.0 beta. The bugs are killing me. I'd greatly appreciate all the help I can get. My personal email is [email protected] or just post here.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by f00fighters View Post
    iPhone 3G

I'm desperately trying to downgrade from 3.0 beta to 2.21. I was almost successful. I'm able to downgrade to 2.21 & 2.20; however, I'm not getting any singal bars, and there's no carrier logo. I read somewhere that iTunes is supposed to automatically pull up that "Carrier Update" and that will fix my problem. But that update has yet to be seen. Is there a way to force iTunes to pull up that update? I don't know what to do. I'm completely stuck.

From Mac OS X, I put the phone in DFU mode; iTunes restore; and used Apple's unmodded ipsw file; got the 1013 error as usual. quit iTunes; ran quickpawn in Windows Vista; and selected the same ipsw file, and boom; it puts the firmware on there, and it works. but no carrier logo, no bars! My iPhone 3G is nothing a chunky iPod Touch now.

I would try and run quick pawn through os x, but it doesn't work when I immediately do a restore through iTunes. Anyone, help!! I'd hate to resort back to 3.0 beta. The bugs are killing me. I'd greatly appreciate all the help I can get. My personal email is [email protected] or just post here.
    Use Pwnage in Mac OSX to create a custom firmware. Pwnage will recognize your phone. When it asks if it was pwned before say "NO" and follow all the directions. Restore your custom firmware as usual in iTunes after Pwnage prompts you to put the phone into DFU mode. Ive done this twice and both times it worked without a hitch.

Angry LIES! People who said they downgraded are liars!
    ok i doubt they are all liars but I have been trying to go about downgrading in every way possible. I followed countless posted advice across the vast tubes of the intrawebnets. but i cant....CANT get the god damned phone to be recognized by quickpwn in OSx or WindowsXP after the itunes restore error 1013. Here is what I have done thus far:
    Connect phone to PC/Mac in DFU ->good
    Manually select the correct IPSW and chose to restore ->good
    Iphone Restores and itunes spits out error 1013 ->good
    now here is where things get different
    I have tried after the error to:
    without closing error dialog box without restarting phone i open quickpwn ->nuffin
    without closing error dialog box with restarting phone i open quickpwn ->nuffin
    close error dialog box without restarting phone and i open quickpwn ->nuffin
    close error dialog box with restarting phone and i open quickpwn ->nuffin
    close error dialog box and itunes without restarting phone and i open quickpwn ->nuffin
    close error dialog box and itunes with restarting phone and i open quickpwn ->nuffin
    and that folks is where i am at...I have been here all day messing with it. I am even disillusioned as to think that i might trick the phone and have been trying silly things to get it to get out of "restore-mode" (the itunes icon/dock plug screen). Until someone steps up and provides me with a solution to this whole debacle I am going to remain a stedfast non-believer in the possibility of a downgrade!

So seriously if anybody has any solid ideas for me that would be super fat awesome and totally far out in a groovy kinda way. I need to get this phone back to 2.2whatever

Thanx mmi peoples
    EDITI followed bhz1's advice and used pwnage tool to create custom ipsw and used that to restore. phone is up and running. but i have no service. still open for suggestions

EDIT TO THE EDIT issok,,,the combination of what i tried to do the second time i used bhz1's method worked. I have service and I am satisfied...No longer am i a nay sayer
    Last edited by tom3k; 2009-03-26 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Fixed but not Fixed then Fixed

Thanks

If you are on ATT or a contract carrier, then you have to uncheck activate when you run Pwnage.

Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    If you are on ATT or a contract carrier, then you have to uncheck activate when you run Pwnage.
    And now i know...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -gijoe.jpg.jpeg  

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by f00fighters View Post
    iPhone 3G

Mine did the same thing. Reflash it to 2.2.1 with iTunes when its in DFU mode and reboot it. When it reboots then run QuickPwn (reboot if it asks) and it should be activated.